Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #4361
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Ok, it should be pretty obvious to you but I'll list a few reasons why Flames fans watch Oilers games:

1) They are our main rivals - people are interested in how they do and are curious as to how we stack up against them.

2) Most Flames fans are hockey fans in general and will watch whatever game is on. The Oilers are in our broadcast region. They typically play on alternating nights to the Flames. Its a hockey fix.

3) You'll like this one... The McDavid effect. I find more people in my social network watch oilers games than ever before as they want to see what the fuss is all about.

For the record, I don't think I've missed more than a handful of Oilers games this year. The commentary is woeful. It doesn't mean I'm going to miss a game of hockey when the viewing alternative is sitting upstairs with the missus watching the bachelor.
I do appreciate the response. it's a fair answer. I like to think that there are reasonable fans here, and not just fanatics. I just found it odd there seems to be a number of people who don't enjoy the games for the hockey but appear to force themselves to watch just to complain about what they saw.
Heck it's not like not fanatic oiler fans like the play by play guys any more than people here do.

means more than someone like captain crush trying to be funny with his aquaman picture. typical reaction from someone who care more about people thinking he's funny than actually engaging in discussion.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 03-21-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #4362
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, it should be pretty obvious to you but I'll list a few reasons why Flames fans watch Oilers games:
4) Sportsnet shoves them down our throats. Even if you took the 78 Oiler games that are not against the Flames and treated those hours as dead airtime, as soon as they do news and highlights it's McDavid this, McDavid that, McDavid for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, dinner, supper, afternoon tea, and between meals.

Sharing a cable channel with your #1 rival can be a drag.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #4363
Dorian_2
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I do appreciate the response. it's a fair answer. I like to think that there are reasonable fans here, and not just fanatics. I just found it odd there seems to be a number of people who don't enjoy the games for the hockey but appear to force themselves to watch just to complain about what they saw.
Heck it's not like not fanatic oiler fans like the play by play guys any more than people here do.

means more than someone like captain crush trying to be funny with his aquaman picture. typical reaction from someone who care more about people thinking he's funny than actually engaging in discussion.
Just a quick response from an Oiler fan re: SNW. You're right, Oiler fans are not too smitten by the broadcasts of our games neither. Particularly Remenda. And for the post that said McDavid this, McDavid that.....I see why you'd be fairly annoyed with that. Remenda harps about 2 particular Oilers (McDavid and Talbot) and pretty much disrespects everyone else, till recently.

I'm just speaking for myself though, not all Oiler fans....but probably quite a few.

Hope we see you in Round 1!!

Last edited by Dorian_2; 03-29-2017 at 07:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorian_2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #4364
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1) They are our main rivals - people are interested in how they do and are curious as to how we stack up against them.

2) Most Flames fans are hockey fans in general and will watch whatever game is on. The Oilers are in our broadcast region. They typically play on alternating nights to the Flames. Its a hockey fix.

3) You'll like this one... The McDavid effect. I find more people in my social network watch oilers games than ever before as they want to see what the fuss is all about.

For the record, I don't think I've missed more than a handful of Oilers games this year. The commentary is woeful. It doesn't mean I'm going to miss a game of hockey when the viewing alternative is sitting upstairs with the missus watching the bachelor.
I find myself watching the Oilers sometimes, because for 10 years I was thoroughly entertained by the "Swarm", the "Toe Drags", the "Mac-T Gasps", and the epic losses. I'm shaking the addiction well though.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #4365
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, me and a bunch of buddies here at work usually watch all the flames/oilers games so catch a lot that way.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #4366
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watch Oiler games when there's nothing on because the comedy is that when McDavid steps off of the ice, they're the same old dead team that they've always been.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #4367
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I just found it odd there seems to be a number of people who don't enjoy the games for the hockey but appear to force themselves to watch just to complain about what they saw.
Actually, if you read the GT's for Flames games in this forum, you'll see that there are a number of us that do this for our own team too.

People love to complain. Period.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #4368
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I come here to express my pure hatred for all things Connor McDavid. This is the only place I can do that without having every mouth breathing McDavid fanboy calling me an idiot because I have an unpopular opinion. It's like my safe space. I'm not afraid to voice my opinion elsewhere but it is nice to know I'm not the only one who hates that guy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #4369
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

My "hate" for McDavid mainly stems from two things.

1. He plays for Edmonton (E=NG)
2. The way sportsnet shoves him down our throat day in and day out, every oilers related or non-related broadcast.

I had the same issue wit when Crosby had entered the league. A very impressive player at first, but let him earn his laurels. He is worthy of all the accolades he is given now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #4370
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its gotten so out of control on the McDavid stuff, I mean on that other board in the main forum there's at least two new humblebrag topics started on the doofus every day. Its like a greatest hits of gag

With such great titles like

Do you think that McDavid gets enough credit

OMG McDavid just got the greatest second assist in the history of ever

Was Sidney happy to pass the torch to McDavid when they played.

And then the media with Crossovers and Principe doing a segment where he gushed over his tie selection.

Its way over the top gushing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #4371
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sucks the season series was only four games and done so early in the season but it's been fun seeing them play every second night, always opposite of each other when they're neck and neck in playoff positioning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #4372
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
its way over the top squirting.
fyp
Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #4373
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
4) Sportsnet shoves them down our throats. Even if you took the 78 Oiler games that are not against the Flames and treated those hours as dead airtime, as soon as they do news and highlights it's McDavid this, McDavid that, McDavid for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, dinner, supper, afternoon tea, and between meals.

Sharing a cable channel with your #1 rival can be a drag.
You forgot Oil Change and Arena: Building of an Icon. That and all the other Oiler's propaganda that is on constant display...
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #4374
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oil Change was amazing, should have won multiple Golden Globes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #4375
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oil Change was amazing, should have won multiple Golden Globes.
I think you mean Razzies.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #4376
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Geminis.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #4377
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think you mean Razzies.
Emmy's, Globes, I'd run it on the BBC so it'd win a BAFTA. Truly a brilliant series, tragic storytelling with some genuine comedic moments as well. My only gripe was the Kevin Lowe character, he almost seems too cartoony for real life.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #4378
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of cringe comedy so I didn't like Oil Change.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #4379
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is no team I enjoy watching win hockey games than the Flames.

There is no team I enjoy watching lose hockey games than the Oilers. They have provided debacles of monumental proportions for a decade now which has made great entertainment. The only thing more entertaining than their hockey games was their press conferences.

A team I don't want to watch is Carolina. I don't care if they win or lose. I don't know their players. I am apathetic towards them and probably a half dozen other teams. Their Oilers inspire hatred among Flames fans. That is why Flames fans watch their games. (also because that is what happens to be on our TV)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #4380
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never watched oil change, but making the show in itself is cringe worthy.

Like they had some special rebuild strategy to make it worth documenting. Anything worthwhile was filmed at the draft lottery. What a joke of a franchise.
Closed Thread