Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #2421
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Maybe, but then again Lyft also lost $600M last year, and Sidecar already shut down.

If none of the ride-share companies make money, there might be something fundamentally wrong with the business model.
Really that's a turf war between Uber and Lyft. There is pretty clearly a market at the cost of a cab to run a dispatch and network of drivers profitably.

It's no different right now then any loss leader / market buying activity. The current price is not sustainable but there is a market.

The best news is that plate owners don't get to be rent seekers taxing everyone.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #2422
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It isn't a real valuation. They basically have taken the amount that Uber has fundraised and multiplied it by 10x.

The company lost a record-breaking $3B last year.
Umm that is a real valuation, at least to their investors. Whether you agree or disagree with their valuation is a separate story.

Their private valuation isn't based on the amount they raised multiplied by 10x. It's what their private investors paid for in return for x% of the company.

So to those investors willing to pay that price, they bought shares at the price of Uber being worth $60B+.

Btw, I too agree that their valuation seems super inflated but that doesn't mean their valuation is fake. I personally wouldn't invest my money in Uber at $60B+ valuation but apparently, they were able to find investors who thought it was worthwhile to invest in them at that price.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #2423
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
Uber's current business model is definitely not sustainable in the long run.

Given that they're pouring a lot of money into R&D for self-driving cars, they just need to survive until they can start replacing the human drivers with self driving cars.

Huge upfront cost and huge risks, but the business model can be viable in the long run if they remove human drivers from the equation.

You mean the self-driving car tech they're about to be sued over by Google?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/23/googl...mail-fail.html
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #2424
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post

That's one of the recent controversies, but that doesn't disprove my point which is that they're pouring a lot of money into getting self-driving cars out on the road.

Maybe they spent a little too money on stealing technologies rather than innovating within. That being said, they've been hiring a lot of engineers and researchers in this area.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #2425
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is rather interesting watching Uber slowly implode right now: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...er-goes-viral/

Hopefully when the dust settles and they are dead and buried, Lyft will be willing to take up many of the markets abandoned, such as Calgary.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #2426
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one question on how this all ends for Uber is do they make money at their core business. If they were just a cab company could they price themselves competively, make money, and attract drivers. If they can Uber never actually dies it just becomes a cab company that is waiting for someone else to invent self driving cars.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #2427
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-falling-fares

Even the Uber Black drivers are struggling to make a living. Seems like the only people making a living with Uber are the executives.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #2428
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post

I was going to joke, why waste their time on self-driving cars when they can put all their money into flying cars but then I saw this:

http://jalopnik.com/uber-hires-nasa-...hav-1792044918
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #2429
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

So much negative press for Uber recently. When it rains, it pours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/t...ties.html?_r=0
Old 03-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #2430
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
So much negative press for Uber recently. When it rains, it pours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/t...ties.html?_r=0
This is more than just negative press, this is legitimately concerning. Wow, what an awful company.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #2431
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is more than just negative press, this is legitimately concerning. Wow, what an awful company.
How is it that awful? If they are operating in a market illegally how is it worse trying to avoid detection.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #2432
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How is it that awful? If they are operating in a market illegally how is it worse trying to avoid detection.
Not a big deal at all. As someone who was over the taxi monopoly I was very happy to have Uber available even if it was technically illegal and they had to use technology to avoid detection.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #2433
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone else think it's funny the regulatory bodies couldn't hail an uber to build their case? They make this sound like they are trying to infiltrate a multi national drug ring !

"Man the fake uber app tricked me again!"
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:03 AM   #2434
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #2435
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
So Uber's got a bit of a PR crisis playing out right now, originating from a blog post written by a female engineer who worked there for a year.

New York Times has dove deeper into this and paints another bleak picture of Uber's corporate culture, which given how they interact with lawmakers is not overly surprising.

For the tech industry folks I follow this is becoming the last straw, many heavy Uber users are deleting their accounts and vowing never to use them again. Part of this is that Uber embodies the worst of start up/Silicon Valley's "tech bro" culture, and coupled with the recent Trump support... it's not been a good year for Uber's public image.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-susan-fowler

The former Uber engineer who published a viral account of sexual harassment and discrimination said her former employer had hired a law firm to investigate her.

Susan Fowler, whose blogpost about sexism and misconduct sparked widespread debate about the mistreatment of women in Silicon Valley, said on Thursday that Uber was investigating her and that she had hired the law firm Baker Curtis & Schwartz to represent her.

But a week later, Fowler tweeted: “Research for the smear campaign has begun. If you are contacted by anyone asking for personal and intimate info about me, please report asap.” She added: “I don’t know who is doing this or why.”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #2436
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-falling-fares

Even the Uber Black drivers are struggling to make a living. Seems like the only people making a living with Uber are the executives.
If people find they are not making money with things like this they can always quit.whats wrong with the executives making money they decided to get careers that would put them into a higher earning than the people they manage.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #2437
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is TappCar in Calgary?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #2438
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really care what Uber does behind the scenes - I just care about the service in getting me from point A to point B in a reasonable vehicle for a reasonable price. I took Uber in Calgary for the first time on WED - $19 to the airport ($20 promo, so $39). A cab would have certainly been $75 and a much worse experience. Uber in LV is fantastic. Same in Miami. If Uber is a "bad' company it will go away, and something else will be in its place. As long as something exists to undercut the crooked taxi monopoly, I will use it, whether it's Uber, Lyft or Jim's car service...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #2439
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Is TappCar in Calgary?
Yes, but I hardly ever see any actual cars on the road.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #2440
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Leadership in this situation would be something like, require each manager or executive commit to five hours per week driving for Uber as part of their job. Even 3 hours.

If Kalanick was serious about leadership, it starts by understanding your core business and the experience of the drivers and customers that make that business what it is.

The leaders I respect the most are those who are willing to work with anyone in the organization, even if it means helping do the work that is below their "level". If you run a dairy, be willing to milk the cow.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post: