Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #1201
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone ever repurposed the slate from a old pool table? Or had it done? What did you do with it?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #1202
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Anyone ever built a secret door book case? There are a couple cool YouTube videos but I can't really do what the pros do. I need a simpler version...book case door for dummies.
I've done one before

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #1203
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I've done one before
Cool. I built the shelves today and stood around looking puzzled at my hinge idea. Any pointers? I'm going to use bar stool swivels as pivot hinges on the tip and bottom. I'm hoping I didn't build the shelves too deep...ten inches. 72x30x10 They're pretty big.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #1204
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool. I built the shelves today and stood around looking puzzled at my hinge idea. Any pointers? I'm going to use bar stool swivels as pivot hinges on the tip and bottom. I'm hoping I didn't build the shelves too deep...ten inches. 72x30x10 They're pretty big.
Are you embedding a caster of some sort in the bottom?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #1205
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Are you embedding a caster of some sort in the bottom?
Thought about that with a regular hinge. But I think the seat swivels will carry it like a pivot hinge so no caster.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #1206
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Able to sketch out what your plan is and we can comment further?

I've designed millwork as part of my career for the last 15ish years so I could possibly add some more input but could do with knowing the area you're putting it and how you're planning to do it so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #1207
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't taken any pictures yet and my drawings would be laughable...but here is the "hinge" thingy I'm going to use...

Bolt it to a base, then bolt it to the bottom front corner of the book case. Then just match it at the top, bolt it to the top frame and the same spot on top of the case, level it and hope it swings. I just don't know how much space it will need to open up.

I'll take a pic tomorrow. Unless it's a disaster. Then I'll just have a built in book case I guess. I can't believe how complicated these doors can be.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #1208
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't taken any pictures yet and my drawings would be laughable...but here is the "hinge" thingy I'm going to use...

Bolt it to a base, then bolt it to the bottom front corner of the book case. Then just match it at the top, bolt it to the top frame and the same spot on top of the case, level it and hope it swings. I just don't know how much space it will need to open up.

I'll take a pic tomorrow. Unless it's a disaster. Then I'll just have a built in book case I guess. I can't believe how complicated these doors can be.
So you're going to have a base that you'll need to step over when it's open? Are you hoping to achieve a tight fit look when closed? I'd be concerned about a pivot as you're going to need some clearance either side to account for the arc of the swing. With a normal hinge position you could have a face frame that swings out with the bookcase but with a pivot hinge that edge of the bookcase is going to go the opposite way, binding any trim on the jamb.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #1209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd build a little model just to see how pivot placement affects gaps, overlaps etc.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #1210
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it'd work for this specific situation, but having it open into the room would generally be easier to make it look good from the outside. That way the trim in front of the bookcase can overhang the opening to cover any gaps needed to allow the thing to swing. Here's an example:

I'd also be a little worried about the lateral force on the swivels and how they'd hold up long term. They're designed for the weight to concentrated right on top and fairly evenly distributed. In this situation all of the weight will be pulling to one side.

Last edited by opendoor; 04-07-2017 at 11:37 AM.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #1211
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ on a similar note what if the book case slides like a barn door?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #1212
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Not sure if it'd work for this specific situation, but having it open into the room would generally be easier to make it look good from the outside. That way the trim in front of the bookcase can overhang the opening to cover any gaps needed to allow the thing to swing. Here's an example:

I'd also be a little worried about the lateral force on the swivels and how they'd hold up long term. They're designed for the weight to concentrated right on top and fairly evenly distributed. In this situation all of the weight will be pulling to one side.
username checks out
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #1213
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that took every last scrap of brain power I had....

host images

But the bar stool hinge is really great. Super strong. Smooth. And swings both ways. In or out. I've never done anything like this so it was quite a stretch. I kept confusing left and right swings and tops and bottoms. I could barely build the shelves without crying.

free screen capture

The outside swing loses about 3/4 of an inch in the arc. The inside loses about 7/8's so I think I will just finish it as an in swing. It's up off the ground so the baseboard will go right under it. The step will be ok.

Now I have no idea what to build in the secret room.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #1214
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Looks great! Sorry I didn't offer much for help, I've been super sick and barely concious for the last day or so.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #1215
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks good so far! Keep us updated and post some photos once you're finished. You're off to a great start. My projects just sit in Sketchup for a year or two first.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #1216
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how you're going to open it, but I really like the way this guy does it. I enjoy his videos.

V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #1217
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's the video I watched on YouTube. I was lost from the start but the fence gate latch and the hinged book look pretty cool. I think I could do that. The rest is well beyond me.

I also decided to do it as an out swing. The gap is only like 3/4 on each side before trim. A slightly raised trim will cut the gap down to an eighth. And it will save space inside the room. There are a few things that my friend will have to tidy up in the finishing. But it's pretty much good to go. She loves it and I got dinners for three nights so it's all good.

Total cost was less than $150. Plus a trip to Lee Valley and HD.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #1218
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I don't know how you're going to open it, but I really like the way this guy does it. I enjoy his videos.

Well there went my Friday night!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #1219
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with alternative house coatings? Currently there's wood siding but the paint is badly cracked and worn. Re-painting would take a large amount of work to just strip or prep the existing surfaces.

Vinyl siding would be ok but I'm pretty sure we'd have to remove the existing siding, which is a lot of extra work too.

I'd thought I'd heard advertisements on the radio for thick spray on stuff that could go over with less prep work, like a vinyl stucco or something, but not having much luck with searches.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #1220
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished doing some kind of concrete siding with my dad this summer. That stuff is supposed to last forever. But yeah, you'd have to take all the existing stuff off first of course. And it's a lot of work. Looks good, though!
V is offline   Reply With Quote