Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #2021
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You may want to take it to Bow Cycle, they could do a trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #2022
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Manager DB View Post
Anyone know what I could sell my Kona Blast for roughly? It's pretty old but barely used and in mint shape.

I'm looking to get a commuter instead.
I don't know much about that particluar bike, and I'm certainly no expert, but honestly, I'd be surprised if you could get more than 300 bucks.
A new blast is listed at $1050 at bow with newer components and disk brakes. That's gonna make it a pretty hard sell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #2023
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why not just convert the Kona into a commuter? Flip your stem around, get some big rise bars off CRC for $35, a big pillowy saddle, and some slick tires?
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #2024
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bike lanes on Deerfoot. I cannot imagine anything more horrifying than taking a F-350 extended side mirror to the back of my head.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/03/31...-trail-calgary
Old 04-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #2025
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This is by far the lamest day of the year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #2026
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Bike lanes on Deerfoot. I cannot imagine anything more horrifying than taking a F-350 extended side mirror to the back of my head.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/03/31...-trail-calgary
90% of the comments are a variation of "dont give Spendshi any ideas!"
Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #2027
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Damn, I ate that one hook, line, sinker.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #2028
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone bike past the gate of highway 66 yet. I'm thinking it should be clear by now. Thinking about going out with the kids.

I haven't biked it in a few years, how bad are the hills past the gate?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #2029
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i commuted via bike today for the first time in 2015. Was a little chilly on the toes - but ok otherwise.

somewhat annoyed at all the work they are doing at the power station by deerfoot and anderson/douglasdale - have to go around the power station and it is a little rough.

also have to dial in my comuuter bikle a little more. it is also odd getting used to looking at a very skinny tire relate to the 2.35 inch tieres on my rocky mtn.

was somewaht dissapointed in the performance of my garmin tour edge as it was not logging the ride time or ascent but the speed was working. this unit may find its way back to MEC.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #2030
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i commuted via bike today for the first time in 2015. Was a little chilly on the toes - but ok otherwise.

somewhat annoyed at all the work they are doing at the power station by deerfoot and anderson/douglasdale - have to go around the power station and it is a little rough.

also have to dial in my comuuter bikle a little more. it is also odd getting used to looking at a very skinny tire relate to the 2.35 inch tieres on my rocky mtn.

was somewaht dissapointed in the performance of my garmin tour edge as it was not logging the ride time or ascent but the speed was working. this unit may find its way back to MEC.
Yah I saw someone having to squeeze down what looked like a skinny dirt path - not good for roadie tires.

Is it worth getting a dedicated bike computer? I've been using my iphone with the Strava app and I'm curious what your device offers this doesn't. Thanks for any advice you have.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #2031
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any articles or guides out there that people have used to turn their mountain bike into a commuter? I have a Trek 4500 that I want to use.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #2032
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

Get the Edge 500. The tour is more like a car gps. The edge tracks everything else and you can add a heart rate monitor, power meter, speed/cadence sensor to work with it...plus it's cheaper than the touring.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #2033
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Are there any articles or guides out there that people have used to turn their mountain bike into a commuter? I have a Trek 4500 that I want to use.
It's not hard, I use my old mountain bike as a commuter. Change tires to something smoother, in the 1.75-1.95 size range, add fenders, get some cheap lights if you ride in the dark. Maybe put a more upright stem on for comfort. Basically you start riding it, and see what you need to bolt on as you go. I'm a weekly MEC guy, myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #2034
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does your Trek 4500 have that Rockshox Dart coil-sprung fork? If so, that thing has got to be close to 6 pounds (guessing, I helped my friend with his trek 4200 (?)). My buddy stuck a rigid carbon fork on his ($130 USD from some Chinese site) and some road slicks to commuterize it.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #2035
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure yes, rockshox judy tt. Yeah, I think going rigid is the way to go.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #2036
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just texted him. If you're interested, he went through ebay seller velocarbon for the rigid fork. Ended up $180CAD shipped, but it took 2 months to arrive. He's happy with the quality to the point where he's hucks 2 stairs at his office daily. He also says email them to confirm axle-crown distance and steerer tube configuration because there are a few reports of getting the wrong stuff.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #2037
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Anyone bike past the gate of highway 66 yet. I'm thinking it should be clear by now. Thinking about going out with the kids.

I haven't biked it in a few years, how bad are the hills past the gate?

I did it in its entirety last summer. The hills wear on you a bit, but not insurmountable and we did it on mountain bikes.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #2038
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I did it in its entirety last summer. The hills wear on you a bit, but not insurmountable and we did it on mountain bikes.
Can an 8 year old do or too much.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #2039
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if you did it one-way. Return might be too much. If you look at runningmap.com you can get a feeling for the topology.

If it's any indication we were doing about 60kph (according to our bike comps) for a few minutes while going downhill. There are no huge hills, its just.... Lengthy uphill parts.

I might try the Legacy Trail first, if you haven't already. I have seen young kids on that and it's a nice ride.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #2040
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if you did it one-way. Return might be too much. If you look at runningmap.com you can get a feeling for the topology.

If it's any indication we were doing about 60kph (according to our bike comps) for a few minutes while going downhill. There are no huge hills, its just.... Lengthy uphill parts.

I might try the Legacy Trail first, if you haven't already. I have seen young kids on that and it's a nice ride.
Closed Thread