Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #281
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Good luck with your entrepreneurship, I learned a long time ago I have no interest in being my own boss.

I really like working for a company with an HR department and solid mentorship.
Holy ####, I agree.

I took a 20-25% wage roll back when I stopped working for myself. However I no longer work during vacations/weekends (I still do some evenings).

Oddly I like being part of a bigger machine.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #282
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Good luck with your entrepreneurship, I learned a long time ago I have no interest in being my own boss.

I really like working for a company with an HR department and solid mentorship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Holy ####, I agree.

I took a 20-25% wage roll back when I stopped working for myself. However I no longer work during vacations/weekends (I still do some evenings).

Oddly I like being part of a bigger machine.
It takes all kinds.

I would never, ever, ever work for someone else ever again.

Even the last couple of times I've been offered contracts to help companies out during tax season I've wound up declining them because they want to me to operate as their employee.

I dont have to, so no thanks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #283
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It takes all kinds.

I would never, ever, ever work for someone else ever again.

Even the last couple of times I've been offered contracts to help companies out during tax season I've wound up declining them because they want to me to operate as their employee.

I dont have to, so no thanks.
I agree. Can't stand a boss.

Took a 20k roll back to work on my own this year. After the tax write offs though, it evens out. It's pretty shocking how badly our tax system screws over middle class employees.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #284
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If I had a do-over and could go back in time I probably would. I sort of fell into my profession inadvertently and while I make a good living and the work can be interesting at times it is also something I definately do not enjoy doing every day. But I've invested too much time to change now and the job is pretty niche so there isn't a lot I could do otherwise anyhow. In other words I'm too old and my education is too out of date to make a change now unless I blow it all up and go back to square one. Looking back I wish I would have taken some time to pursue what I really wanted to do (or thought I wanted to do anyhow) and given that a chance. Instead I did what I thought others expected of me and once I realized that was not what I wanted I always felt it would be too many steps back to change direction so I just kept trudging along, waiting to see where life would take me next.
I've been meaning to make a post in this thread, mine would be identical to this. Although the work is not interesting at times, ever.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #285
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Switched to independent business ownership last year and it was a great move. It's definitely more precarious in this economy, but that just motivates you to be the best you can be - because you have to. Also, it allows me to actually take credit for my own work, charge more reasonable rates, and travel if I need to. Also allows me to work from home! Which I love!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #286
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rather than making my hobby my job, I volunteer in music. Maybe if it was my full-time career I would end up not enjoying it as much.

My Dad always advised never to make your hobby your job.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #287
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Rather than making my hobby my job, I volunteer in music. Maybe if it was my full-time career I would end up not enjoying it as much.

I notice some cjsw podcats... but not your show? I never catch it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #288
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Which is why I'm not a prostitute!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #289
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Interior Designer - Absolutely love my job.

Me too. Love my job and make good money too. Been doing this for 25 years now.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #290
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I started this gig on Feb. 1, my salary is a little more than half of what I've been taking home for the last few years with both the provincial and federal gov't, I've been putting in 60 hrs/week, not including some freelance stuff I've been wrapping up; we're using ancient technology in an industry that is teetering on the edge of evolution or death, and I don't think I've been happier career-wise in a decade.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #291
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an IT guy. I love my profession. My only complaint is that I advanced too quickly into management and I do less of the actual IT work. I wanted to have a few more years of the "hands on" IT work before I got the position of managing the team. Been doing this for 14 years, employed by three different companies, working my way into more in depth work at each company, and managing for the last 8 years (unofficially 10, been at my current place for 11 years).

I'd still do it again. It would have been nicer to get into it a bit earlier, but I still wouldn't change anything about when, how or what I got into.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm an IT guy. I love my profession. My only complaint is that I advanced too quickly into management and I do less of the actual IT work. I wanted to have a few more years of the "hands on" IT work before I got the position of managing the team. Been doing this for 14 years, employed by three different companies, working my way into more in depth work at each company, and managing for the last 8 years (unofficially 10, been at my current place for 11 years).

I'd still do it again. It would have been nicer to get into it a bit earlier, but I still wouldn't change anything about when, how or what I got into.
See, this is how I know you're lying. That right there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #293
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
See, this is how I know you're lying. That right there.
IT is an awesome career choice, curious to know why?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #294
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which is why I'm not a prostitute!
I can't be the only one who thought this was pretty funny! Maybe it's an old joke that I've just never heard before.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #295
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I can't be the only one who thought this was pretty funny! Maybe it's an old joke that I've just never heard before.
I wondered why he was giving hand jobs away.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #296
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #297
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the things I try to teach to my foster kids is not to look at a job as 'a job', the reality is most jobs consists of various parts that you like or dislike, so use those 'parts' to work out what you are good at, what you like, what you are lousy at and what you hate, (and sometimes you can be really good at something you hate), when you work out the parts of a job you like then pursue jobs, or a career in areas that emphasise that skill or function, and be careful you don't qualify yourself out of that part.

I started work in welfare office, worked out quickly I was a lousy clerk but loved helping people, after a year parleyed that into working at a group home, that became a better gig as a youth worker, at 35 I should have gone to school part time to get a degree and become either a social worker or teacher but in truth while that is the natural career path both those jobs are just glorified clerks so I avoided them like the plague and went into contract foster care instead, I'm good at what I do, love it and have the added benefit of knowing its important work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
One of the things I try to teach to my foster kids is not to look at a job as 'a job', the reality is most jobs consists of various parts that you like or dislike, so use those 'parts' to work out what you are good at, what you like, what you are lousy at and what you hate, (and sometimes you can be really good at something you hate), when you work out the parts of a job you like then pursue jobs, or a career in areas that emphasise that skill or function, and be careful you don't qualify yourself out of that part.

I started work in welfare office, worked out quickly I was a lousy clerk but loved helping people, after a year parleyed that into working at a group home, that became a better gig as a youth worker, at 35 I should have gone to school part time to get a degree and become either a social worker or teacher but in truth while that is the natural career path both those jobs are just glorified clerks so I avoided them like the plague and went into contract foster care instead, I'm good at what I do, love it and have the added benefit of knowing its important work.
You're not grinding them up for meat are you? I've eaten British food...its questionable...

Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #299
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're not grinding them up for meat are you? I've eaten British food...its questionable...
The systems so effed up these days I think I could if I wanted!! I'm not sure any one would notice and I'd probably get brownie points for keeping the kids 'out of trouble and so quiet'
Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #300
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The systems so effed up these days I think I could if I wanted!! I'm not sure any one would notice and I'd probably get brownie points for keeping the kids 'out of trouble and so quiet'
You worry me greatly.