Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #141
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Ferland played two years of house league, then one year of AAA, and then was playing in the WHL.

how crazy is it that Micheal Ferland was playing in the WHL after playing a total of three years of organized hockey? What a great story.
I'm not sure on all the details, but I've heard repeatedly out of Brandon that some of the parents on that AAA team even helped Micheal and his mom with some of the fees and perhaps gave him some used equipment and such so that he couple make the jump to AAA. Apparently even back then minor hockey parents saw something in this kid and wanted to make sure he was afforded every opportunity. Great story! He's making them all proud now!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #142
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kristen Odland @Kristen_Odland
#Flames GM Brad Treliving said that Micheal Ferland will start the year with Gaudreau and Monahan: "Then, we'll see"

And when I say, "start the year" obviously I mean the 2017-18 #Flames training camp.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #143
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's funny - watching AC's "Part 2" highlight package (thank you thank you thank you, AC!!) -> something funny kinda occurred to me.

You always hear that skilled guys can use a physical guy on their line to "make space for them". I think even right now we'd widely consider Ferland's physicality a great bonus to his line-mates Johnny and Sean.

HOWEVER -> actually watching those highlights I'm not so sure it's not Ferland getting the extra space out there. Now maybe her earns it himself...but I think other team's are at a loss with those three out there. Watch the shifty / skilled guy? Keep an eye on the sniping 200' center? Play tight against the big guy who could hurt you? It's a tough decision and I think in a lot of those highlights Ferland is afforded space and once he decided to start shooting it -> BOOM!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #144
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
I'm not sure on all the details, but I've heard repeatedly out of Brandon that some of the parents on that AAA team even helped Micheal and his mom with some of the fees and perhaps gave him some used equipment and such so that he couple make the jump to AAA. Apparently even back then minor hockey parents saw something in this kid and wanted to make sure he was afforded every opportunity. Great story! He's making them all proud now!
His equipment was courtesy of Kidsport Manitoba.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #145
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd like to see this line, just because.

Last edited by red sky; 07-14-2017 at 01:51 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #146
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I'd like to see this line, just because.
Always love that picture.

I don't think it'll happen unless Mony goes down to injury, but it could make for a fantastic line if they're all in decent form.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #147
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting stuff today from Brad Treliving on Micheal Ferland: “The next step (for Ferland) is just that — taking the next step."

"We’ve seen the skillset that Micheal Ferland has. It can be very special and unique … he moved around the lineup in the past couple years."

"For me, the goal for him is to establish himself at that high level on a consistent basis. Because we’ve seen it."

"We know what he’s capable of.”

"We think the sky is the limit for Micheal.” Also said that he has to have the "summer of his life."

"I've got a great deal of respect for Micheal. I love the kid. He's come so far. But you also want to push for more...He's capable of it."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #148
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Always love that picture.

I don't think it'll happen unless Mony goes down to injury, but it could make for a fantastic line if they're all in decent form.
There was also a great pic of those three wearing camo outfits at a Flames skeet shooting event - can't find it now.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #149
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

good deal for ferland, shows how great the versteeg contract is.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #150
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I honestly don't care enough about Hyman to even think about such a comparison. I am happy about the deal—would have been happier with another year, but this is good.
Exactly. Now I don't know much about Hyman, and I don't know what Ferland was asking for, but I am hoping he would have had no interest in a 4 year deal at that kind of money. He should be thinking he will make a whole lot more.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #151
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

This contract is turning into a bargain for the Flames.

In 2019/20 both Ferland and Tkachuk could be in line for some big raises; only big contract coming off the books would be Smith. Hopefully by then Gillies, Rittich, or Parsons is ready to play big minutes (perhaps re-signing Smith as a veteran backup).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: