Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #7401
John Doe
Crash and Bang Winger
 
John Doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
we finished 8th in the league in GF...how is that "overrated"?
the Flames finished 14 in GA with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and haven't finished top 5 in GA since the Kipper years

no one is claiming the Oilers have a top 5 offense (although we did finish ahead of the Flames last year)...unlike some Flames fans are saying about their defense (although the Oilers finished ahead of them in that category too)
First of all, I don't know of anyone who says that Calgary has a top 5 defense. Defense includes goalies, defensemen, forwards, systems, etc. What many are saying is that the Flames have a good defense corps, possibly one of the top 5 in the NHL. But of course, you already knew that.

Nashville is often credited with one of the best defense corps in the nhl, but by the same reasoning that you are using they are overrated (and not as good as teams such as Columbus, Edmonton, Boston, St. Louis, New York, LA, Ottawa, and even (shudder) Calgary) as Nashville allowed more goals than 15 other teams.

And while no one is claiming that Edmonton has a top 5 offense, many are claiming that the Oiler's top forwards are elite. Using your argument, I "proved" that they aren't, and in fact are overrated and not even as good as Calgary's over the last two years.

I was trying to show that your argument was flawed in it's reasoning but I don't know if I can as I can't really simplify it any more than that.

Last edited by John Doe; 07-15-2017 at 02:42 PM.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #7402
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
Huh?

What fiction is this.

The Flames gave up less shots per game than the amazing Oilers defence last season that you claim shelters goalies well.

There's a reason no one from the past two seasons that played goal for the Flames was extended. The goaltending absolutely was a downfall.
__________________
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #7403
saXon
First Line Centre
 
saXon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Love the Oilers fans coming out of the wood works after 10 years of suckitude, off the back of a single outlier season.

Can't wait to see how many stick around when they realize the acquisition of loser points on a surprise season doesn't equal perennial playoff team. My guess is 0. (maybe Oil Stain)
__________________

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #7404
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #7405
Love
Scoring Winger
 
Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Heaven or Las Vegas
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Do flames fans join Oilers fan forums? All for intelligent conversations but do these Oiler posters actually come here for conversation or just to spark annoying arguments? Seems to be the latter usually.
inferiority complex
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #7406
sempuki
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
First of all, I don't know of anyone who says that Calgary has a top 5 defense.
Some people are saying with the addition of Hamonic we are. From my point of view I prefer saying these sort of things *after* the fact -- it's why we play the games. Some people thought Regher, Phaneauf, and Bowmeester would be the second coming, and we know how that turned out.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #7407
Realistic
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: May 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Do flames fans join Oilers fan forums? All for intelligent conversations but do these Oiler posters actually come here for conversation or just to spark annoying arguments? Seems to be the latter usually.
Oiler fans aren't the smartest bunch, they actually think that because McJesus signed a 8 year contract extension that he will actually play in Edmonton for those 8 years. I mean, how stupid could you be!
Realistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #7408
New Era
Franchise Player
 
New Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Oiler fans aren't the smartest bunch, they actually think that because McJesus signed a 8 year contract extension that he will actually play in Edmonton for those 8 years. I mean, how stupid could you be!
Who said McDavid wouldn't play in Edmonton for the length of his contract?

I do understand your frustration and willingness to mock this thread. It is supposed to be about pointing out the crazy positions Oilers fans take in regards to their team, but if you wade through a few of the threads on the front page, is this much different than HFOil, except with a Flames bias? That was something that I truly believed Flames fans had an advantage over their Oilers counterparts - being grounded in reality. I don't think that high ground is held by fans of either team at this point.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #7409
dieHARDflameZ
First Line Centre
 
dieHARDflameZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
What a great fiction story that was. The Flames goalies gave up an absurd amount of terrible goals last season while Talbot probably stole you guys 10-15 wins.

I watched a number of Oiler games where you guys were soundly outplayed and often outshot by a nearly 1.5-2 to 1 margin and ended up winning the game solely because of your goalie.

If the Flames got Oiler level goaltending last season we would have won the division soundly. Fact.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #7410
Strange Brew
First Line Centre
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
Only thing I am able to agree with here is that Talbot's overrated. Appreciate you pointing that out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #7411
Strange Brew
First Line Centre
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Strange Brew...

We have talked about this.

I am disappointed.
Working on it. See earlier post.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #7412
MisterJoji
First Line Centre
 
MisterJoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The toilet of Alberta : Edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Do flames fans join Oilers fan forums? All for intelligent conversations but do these Oiler posters actually come here for conversation or just to spark annoying arguments? Seems to be the latter usually.


Venturing over to HF Oilers is pointless. Anyone who tries to engage in a conversation that isn't 100% pure pro-Oilers results in an auto-ban. They come over here, spout some nonsense and then when they are countered with some actual facts they run back to their safe space. They are so fragile.
__________________
"Illusions Michael, tricks are something a wh*re does for money ....... or cocaine"
MisterJoji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterJoji For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #7413
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

If you post in the ATL thread on HF Oilers to defend the Flames, you get thread banned.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #7414
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
As has been pointed out earlier in this thread. The Oilers not only allowed more shots per game then the Flames, but Talbot faced more rebounds and more shots from the danger area.

The Oilers defense was still susceptible to a lot of this guy scored pictures, except Talbot performed miracles.

I mean Larsson is a very good one dimensional defense, Klefbom is pretty good, but I think he's getting over rated. But outside of that, and especially with Sekera gone forever that defense isn't that good. Talbot is your best player behind the blueline and disguise how weak it is. Frankly its a lottery team blueline.
__________________
Good Night America . . . Wherever you are
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #7415
AlbertaOiler72
Crash and Bang Winger
 
AlbertaOiler72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Love the Oilers fans coming out of the wood works after 10 years of suckitude, off the back of a single outlier season.

Can't wait to see how many stick around when they realize the acquisition of loser points on a surprise season doesn't equal perennial playoff team. My guess is 0. (maybe Oil Stain)
we had more regulation wins and less regulation losses than the under .500 Flames
__________________
Edmonton Oilers: an Alberta Original since 1972
AlbertaOiler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #7416
AlbertaOiler72
Crash and Bang Winger
 
AlbertaOiler72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
As has been pointed out earlier in this thread. The Oilers not only allowed more shots per game then the Flames, but Talbot faced more rebounds and more shots from the danger area.

The Oilers defense was still susceptible to a lot of this guy scored pictures, except Talbot performed miracles.

I mean Larsson is a very good one dimensional defense, Klefbom is pretty good, but I think he's getting over rated. But outside of that, and especially with Sekera gone forever that defense isn't that good. Talbot is your best player behind the blueline and disguise how weak it is. Frankly its a lottery team blueline.
after years of watching Kiprusoff bail out the Flames, it's a welcome change to see the shoe on the other foot
__________________
Edmonton Oilers: an Alberta Original since 1972
AlbertaOiler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #7417
bubbsy
Franchise Player
 
bubbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
after years of watching Kiprusoff bail out the Flames, it's a welcome change to see the shoe on the other foot
Well at least we all agree that the oilers ain't winning no cups any time soon, even after being gifted 1st overalls including mcdsvid himself.

Haha poor oilers and their fans.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #7418
MisterJoji
First Line Centre
 
MisterJoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The toilet of Alberta : Edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The difference between .907 and .911 (Average) is very small.

I don't think I'm wrong in stating that the Flames netminding was pretty close to average.

I mean they are tied with the St.Louis Blues at .907 and the Blues are in the middle third on that list.
The Oilers were 0.24 goals per game from being in the bottom half of the league. A very small difference. See I can play that too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
we finished 8th in the league in GF...how is that "overrated"?
the Flames finished 14 in GA with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and haven't finished top 5 in GA since the Kipper years

no one is claiming the Oilers have a top 5 offense (although we did finish ahead of the Flames last year)...unlike some Flames fans are saying about their defense (although the Oilers finished ahead of them in that category too)

Talbot's stellar play masked a lot of the Oilers D shortcomings. How many games were thenOilers outshot but still managed to win? The Oilers allowed 62 more shots against than the Oilers did and the Oilers were well below the Flames in CF%. Make no mistake, Talbot is the main reason the Oilers did as well as they did. He's going to remain superb to keep the Oilers afloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.



Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.

Lol. Talbot bailed out the D, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
Sekera replaces Hamonic IMO



and the game isn't played on paper....the Oilers have finished ahead of the Flames in GA the past two seasons despite the Flames having Gio, Brodie and Hamilton on the roster and even adding Hamonic (-21) won't move the needle much...and why will it change?



Oilers have the better goalie, and their young defensemen (Larsson, Klefbom, Benning and Nurse) are under 25 and still getting better and better



The Flames have a nice set of offensive defensemen but are vastly overrated in their defensive abilities and the proof is there.

Benning is a dime a dozen D-man right now and Nurse is projecting to bottom 2 guy.

Gio >> Larsson
Hamilton >> Klefbom
Brodie >>> Sekera
Hamonic > Russell
Stone = Benning
Kulak < Nurse
__________________
"Illusions Michael, tricks are something a wh*re does for money ....... or cocaine"
MisterJoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #7419
saXon
First Line Centre
 
saXon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
we had more regulation wins and less regulation losses than the under .500 Flames
What does that have anything to do with the Oilers being a perennial playoff team?
__________________

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #7420
sempuki
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
we had more regulation wins and less regulation losses than the under .500 Flames
The problem isn't that after 10 years and 4,1st overall picks Edmonton is finally icing an NHL team, the problem is the odious hubris of the fans who pretend the 80's are right around the corner every year and are unashamed about proclaiming it.

Congratulations on being mediocre on the back of a generational talent and an overachieving goaltender. The game is played on ice, not opposing teams message board in the summer.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016