Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #6321
iloveicedhockey
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Exp:
Default

Outshot an average of ten shots per game over the series but boy, the cups (plural) are on their way.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #6322
nobles_point
Scoring Winger
 
nobles_point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Candle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post

Puljujarvi can fill one of the roles, how high up remains to be seen. Where and how do they fill the rest?

TL/DR:E = NG
Additionally, they burned a year on his ELC as well.

At best, the City of Edmonton is a large version of Saskatoon. As far as access to lake country, they're still waaaay behind Saskatoon on that front and will never catch up.

I've visited Calgary all my life & lived here for 6 months now & it's plain as day that Edmonton's hate comes from their massive inferiority complex as a city. Calgary is a picturesque, wild class city on the cusp of a mountain playground. Many people who grew up here or spent a lot of time here forget that at times, until they go to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, or Winnipeg. But they don't.

Even in the worst parts of Calgary, when you're stuck in traffic in a crappy light industrial area in the NE (which all cities have) you look at the horizon and have a million dollar view of the mountains. Edmonton has never had this and never will and it directly or indirectly drives them and their loser Oiler fans bananas.

They have a "river valley"!!! Yippie skippy, North Battleford & Prince Albert have the same Valley on the same river as those lucky ducks.

Now that both teams are out of the playoffs, in Calgary take a 45 minute drive and head to any number of parks, streams, trails etc. In Edmonton, take a 45 minute drive & you're 45 minutes closer to Calgary.

Backgammon and ruining the draft odds are the only reason they have been even close to a consistently competitive team throughout their history.
__________________
Problems can't be solved on the same level they are created.
nobles_point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nobles_point For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #6323
Love
Scoring Winger
 
Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Heaven or Las Vegas
Exp:
Default

Just had to bring this Oil Stain post from the locked McDavid is the youngest captain in history thread

Quote:
I mean if you watched Mcdavid at all in his rookie season you could see he was a great hockey player and making him captain wouldn't be a bad move.
He cried to the media after a hockey game because Manning said mean things to him
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #6324
GordonBlue
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Additionally, they burned a year on his ELC as well.

At best, the City of Edmonton is a large version of Saskatoon. As far as access to lake country, they're still waaaay behind Saskatoon on that front and will never catch up.

I've visited Calgary all my life & lived here for 6 months now & it's plain as day that Edmonton's hate comes from their massive inferiority complex as a city. Calgary is a picturesque, wild class city on the cusp of a mountain playground. Many people who grew up here or spent a lot of time here forget that at times, until they go to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, or Winnipeg. But they don't.

Even in the worst parts of Calgary, when you're stuck in traffic in a crappy light industrial area in the NE (which all cities have) you look at the horizon and have a million dollar view of the mountains. Edmonton has never had this and never will and it directly or indirectly drives them and their loser Oiler fans bananas.

They have a "river valley"!!! Yippie skippy, North Battleford & Prince Albert have the same Valley on the same river as those lucky ducks.

Now that both teams are out of the playoffs, in Calgary take a 45 minute drive and head to any number of parks, streams, trails etc. In Edmonton, take a 45 minute drive & you're 45 minutes closer to Calgary.

Backgammon and ruining the draft odds are the only reason they have been even close to a consistently competitive team throughout their history.
How do you explain that there is more hate on this site towards edmonton in a week than i hear hate about calgary from edmontonians in a year. If calgary was so much better, why spend so much time to not only hate the teams, but the city and people, too? Say what you want about the city but maybe look in the mirror when you do it.
Most of the world views edminton and calgary as the same except one city is closer to the mountains and closer to actual world class cities. A rodeo doesn't make calgary world class and they lack much else for "culture"
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better for being the same hick town but with more corporate offices.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #6325
PepsiFree
First Line Centre
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kehlani is my queen
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
How do you explain that there is more hate on this site towards edmonton in a week than i hear hate about calgary from edmontonians in a year. If calgary was so much better, why spend so much time to not only hate the teams, but the city and people, too? Say what you want about the city but maybe look in the mirror when you do it.
Most of the world views edminton and calgary as the same except one city is closer to the mountains and closer to actual world class cities. A rodeo doesn't make calgary world class and they lack much else for "culture"
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better for being the same hick town but with more corporate offices.
Because you're on a Calgary Flames (number one and only rival of the Edmonton Oilers) message board in a thread called "Edmonton is no good," dummy.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #6326
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player
 
Roof-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
How do you explain that there is more hate on this site towards edmonton in a week than i hear hate about calgary from edmontonians in a year. If calgary was so much better, why spend so much time to not only hate the teams, but the city and people, too? Say what you want about the city but maybe look in the mirror when you do it.
Most of the world views edminton and calgary as the same except one city is closer to the mountains and closer to actual world class cities. A rodeo doesn't make calgary world class and they lack much else for "culture"
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better for being the same hick town but with more corporate offices.
You're doing this thread wrong. Should probably just stay out of it until you figure it out.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #6327
dash_pinched
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maple Bay, B.C.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better
It's easy to do when the Oilers and their fans provide so much material and essentially the point of this thread (now on its fourth iteration). It still amazes me to this day when Oilers fans and people that reside in Edmonton wade into this thread (thread title is pretty clear) and express outrage at the contents within. Put it this way, I have no idea if such a thread resides on a similar site for Oilers fans to poke fun at Calgary, but if it does, that's fine by me. As stated above, it is a rivalry.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #6328
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Outshot an average of ten shots per game over the series but boy, the cups (plural) are on their way.
Thing too is that I don't event know if the Ducks can be considered full on contenders themselves. And while the Oil hung in there (Talbot), they were pretty well outclassed.

Of course that is a kick in the nads to the Flames in saying that, but there is also the head game attached to Anaheim that doesn't exist with just about any other opponent. And goaltending..

There are tougher, better opponents outside the division that you'd have to get through to have any hope of a cup, let alone cups. And if the Oil media have the audacity to say such things, maybe the team should first show that they can even skate with a real contender. Not just the declining Sharks (essentially this years version of the 2015 Canucks with Thornton and Couture playing hurt).
__________________
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #6329
calgaryblood
Franchise Player
 
calgaryblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hmmmmmmm
Exp:
Default

Just when you thought they couldn't get any more smug and pathetic.

A poll from CTV Edmonton.

What is your prediction for the Oilers’ 2017-18 season?

Stanley Cup champions
Stanley Cup finalists
They’ll make the playoffs
Injuries will keep them out of the playoffs
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #6330
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Additionally, they burned a year on his ELC as well.

At best, the City of Edmonton is a large version of Saskatoon. As far as access to lake country, they're still waaaay behind Saskatoon on that front and will never catch up.

I've visited Calgary all my life & lived here for 6 months now & it's plain as day that Edmonton's hate comes from their massive inferiority complex as a city. Calgary is a picturesque, wild class city on the cusp of a mountain playground. Many people who grew up here or spent a lot of time here forget that at times, until they go to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, or Winnipeg. But they don't.

Even in the worst parts of Calgary, when you're stuck in traffic in a crappy light industrial area in the NE (which all cities have) you look at the horizon and have a million dollar view of the mountains. Edmonton has never had this and never will and it directly or indirectly drives them and their loser Oiler fans bananas.

They have a "river valley"!!! Yippie skippy, North Battleford & Prince Albert have the same Valley on the same river as those lucky ducks.

Now that both teams are out of the playoffs, in Calgary take a 45 minute drive and head to any number of parks, streams, trails etc. In Edmonton, take a 45 minute drive & you're 45 minutes closer to Calgary.

Backgammon and ruining the draft odds are the only reason they have been even close to a consistently competitive team throughout their history.
Why dump on Saskatoon?
Saskatoon is a fantastic little city.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #6331
nobles_point
Scoring Winger
 
nobles_point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Candle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Why dump on Saskatoon?
Saskatoon is a fantastic little city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
How do you explain that there is more hate on this site towards edmonton in a week than i hear hate about calgary from edmontonians in a year. If calgary was so much better, why spend so much time to not only hate the teams, but the city and people, too? Say what you want about the city but maybe look in the mirror when you do it.
Most of the world views edminton and calgary as the same except one city is closer to the mountains and closer to actual world class cities. A rodeo doesn't make calgary world class and they lack much else for "culture"
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better for being the same hick town but with more corporate offices.
Where's edminton? Minnesota?
__________________
Problems can't be solved on the same level they are created.
nobles_point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #6332
nobles_point
Scoring Winger
 
nobles_point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Candle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Why dump on Saskatoon?
Saskatoon is a fantastic little city.
Saskatoon's small city edge is diminishing with higher housing costs and failures to learn from mistakes of city building in similar geographies. Edmonton had nothing but the Oilers. Katz & the Oilers predatory business practices even drove their championship lacrosse team to Saskatoon.
__________________
Problems can't be solved on the same level they are created.
nobles_point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #6333
Love
Scoring Winger
 
Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Heaven or Las Vegas
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
How do you explain that there is more hate on this site towards edmonton in a week than i hear hate about calgary from edmontonians in a year. If calgary was so much better, why spend so much time to not only hate the teams, but the city and people, too? Say what you want about the city but maybe look in the mirror when you do it.
Most of the world views edminton and calgary as the same except one city is closer to the mountains and closer to actual world class cities. A rodeo doesn't make calgary world class and they lack much else for "culture"
Maybe mocking edmonton makes some of you feel better for being the same hick town but with more corporate offices.
I'm sure you haven't seen the Oilers 'Around the League' on HF. Those delusional cretins have GDT's for every game of ours making obscene rationalizations as to why we won. Pathetic group.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #6334
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Just gotta take a moment to say how awesome this thread is. The banter is brilliant and the random Oilers stats that highlight their futility is gold.

The thread wouldn't be the same without some actual Oiler fan input so I hope those guys never leave.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #6335
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm sure you haven't seen the Oilers 'Around the League' on HF. Those delusional cretins have GDT's for every game of ours making obscene rationalizations as to why we won. Pathetic group.
Yeah like the number of back to back games, the schedule, the referees, luck with your goaltender/best player, an over-achieving, no good team that will fall back down to mediocrity next season.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #6336
dash_pinched
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maple Bay, B.C.
Exp:
Default

Kris Russell wants to be an Oiler:

"They showed faith in me by going out and signing me,” Russell said, per the Edmonton Journal. “I love playing here. It’s a first class organization. They treat you very well. The group inside is great. I think this team obviously has a bright future. I wish we were still playing, but I think this team grew a lot.

“With the signing and all that stuff, I’ll let my agent deal with that,” Russell said. “Obviously I’d like to come back but there is a business side to this and you never know what’s going to happen.”


http://www.tsn.ca/russell-i-want-to-...oiler-1.751983
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #6337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

I would expect though that he wants a cash in deal. 4 to 5 years at 4.5 million.

Russell is pretty smart, he's coming off of a good season and he was one of their better defenders in the second round. He's gonna want to cash in Son.

With the Oilers at 60 million right now, if Draisatil gets 7.5 and Russell gets 4.5 that puts them at $72 million, Zach Kassian will probably want a good deal coming off of his show me deal so I would expect that he's going to ask for 2.8 ish. So thatts almost 75 million.

They might have to make the choice of trying to dump some salary now if they want to keep a guy like Russell.
__________________
Good Night America . . . Wherever you are
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #6338
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect though that he wants a cash in deal. 4 to 5 years at 4.5 million.

Russell is pretty smart, he's coming off of a good season and he was one of their better defenders in the second round. He's gonna want to cash in Son.

With the Oilers at 60 million right now, if Draisatil gets 7.5 and Russell gets 4.5 that puts them at $72 million, Zach Kassian will probably want a good deal coming off of his show me deal so I would expect that he's going to ask for 2.8 ish. So thatts almost 75 million.

They might have to make the choice of trying to dump some salary now if they want to keep a guy like Russell.
They are actually at $50 million with 9 F, 5 D, and 2 G signed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #6339
ah123
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Kris Russell wants to be an Oiler:

"They showed faith in me by going out and signing me,” Russell said, per the Edmonton Journal. “I love playing here. It’s a first class organization. They treat you very well. The group inside is great. I think this team obviously has a bright future. I wish we were still playing, but I think this team grew a lot.

“With the signing and all that stuff, I’ll let my agent deal with that,” Russell said. “Obviously I’d like to come back but there is a business side to this and you never know what’s going to happen.”


http://www.tsn.ca/russell-i-want-to-...oiler-1.751983


Realistically, what else is he going to say...I can't imagine him saying that he is going to the team that offers him the most money, or anything like that...
__________________
Visit my picture gallery
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #6340
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect though that he wants a cash in deal. 4 to 5 years at 4.5 million.

Russell is pretty smart, he's coming off of a good season and he was one of their better defenders in the second round. He's gonna want to cash in Son.

With the Oilers at 60 million right now, if Draisatil gets 7.5 and Russell gets 4.5 that puts them at $72 million, Zach Kassian will probably want a good deal coming off of his show me deal so I would expect that he's going to ask for 2.8 ish. So thatts almost 75 million.

They might have to make the choice of trying to dump some salary now if they want to keep a guy like Russell.
What are you talking about man? Edmonton has a new arena, they're a perennial Cup Contending Team and they have McDavid!

Russell would play there for free! Just for the honour of being an Oiler!

Draisaitl will take League Minimum to stay in a deal like that! If he takes any more he'll have to give it to McDavid.

Same with Connor (we're on a first-name basis)! He'll take League Minimum just to stay basking in the Glory of Edmonton! Anything he needs, Edmonton shall provide! No need for pesky minutia like 'money' when you have the Love of Edmonton and all the Cups they're surely going to win!
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016