Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #161
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The infrastructure that Greece built up as part of the Olympics is outstanding. It took the metro and highway systems from horribly backward to absolutely first rate - so pretty much exactly the opposite of the anti Olympics point for that 7B.
Now the other few hundred billion, not so much value for any of it. Were it not for the Olympics, they would have zero to show for all that debt.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #162
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
Yeah....no.

That's fallacious, there is no 'big, fat, bill'.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...agreement.aspx

Further, the project has driven billions in additional development downtown, a lot of which is residential, which will in turn build the tax base, increase density and create a more active, liveable downtown. Something Edmonton sorely needs.

As the construction nears completion, we are really starting to see what it will look like and it looks pretty awesome. The pedway connecting the building to the forthcoming Winter Garden is going to be a really cool feature.

I've already got tickets to an event the month it opens, can't wait.
Just because you have a new shiny area of downtown doesn't mean that you are getting an influx of brand new people in the area. No one from the suburbs is going to decide that it's now time to live in the CBD due to the creation of this arena district - these people don't want to be downtown to begin with.

The likely scenario is that the downtown population is already at or close to its sustainable levels based on Edmonton's economic climate. If you get a bunch of new residents or activity in the area it's probably because people have vacated another quadrant of the core to set up shop here instead.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #163
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This arena will be all the talk around the NHL this season. Meanwhile we will become jaded and saying years from now. I wonder what the Flames are doing about a new arena.
My confidence the Flames ownership will have construction started on a new arena even 5 years from after the Oilers are playing in their palace is maybe 10%.
Ownership doesn't really want to build unless they are "given" more than 70% and the city is never going to concede to that extent. Nor should they.
And no these are not documented stats for all the analytics on CP.
It is just a simple statement.
The Flames ownership building a "New" Arena or CFL stadium anytime soon is smoke in mirrors and Fans shouldn't get their hopes up.
I will be delighted when something actually real happens.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #164
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
This arena will be all the talk around the NHL this season. Meanwhile we will become jaded and saying years from now. I wonder what the Flames are doing about a new arena.
My confidence the Flames ownership will have construction started on a new arena even 5 years from after the Oilers are playing in their palace is maybe 10%.
Ownership doesn't really want to build unless they are "given" more than 70% and the city is never going to concede to that extent. Nor should they.
And no these are not documented stats for all the analytics on CP.
It is just a simple statement.
The Flames ownership building a "New" Arena or CFL stadium anytime soon is smoke in mirrors and Fans shouldn't get their hopes up.
I will be delighted when something actually real happens.
Why do you care that the Oilers rink will be the talk of the NHL this year? It should be. And when we get our arena, whenever that is, it likely will be too.

It's one thing to argue the Flames need to speed up this process because you feel it's required for your enjoyment at games, but what difference does it make that the Oilers get a new rink, how is it relevant, and why should the Flames timeline be impacted by a new arena in another market?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #165
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

The new Oilers arena looks like it will be pretty awesome. Even if the design from the outside looks lame, who cares. Inside it will be great. (The on-ice product is another discussion).

To me that's a good thing. It forces the Flames to meet or beat what the Oilers do. Even if it's 2030 before it gets done, up the ante and put pressure on the Flames to one up them. No issue here. Hate the Oilers, but at least they're getting it done.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #166
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

It amazes me how worried people are getting about how long this will take. What's clear to me now after hearing all of back and forth, the Flames want a new rink, the city also wants a new rink. People need to stop panicking and worrying about all the rhetoric and fear mongoring as the two sides basically go back and forth negotiating on funding, location and scope. It will get sorted, and it's not going to be 20 years before we get a new building.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #167
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
It amazes me how worried people are getting about how long this will take. What's clear to me now after hearing all of back and forth, the Flames want a new rink, the city also wants a new rink. People need to stop panicking and worrying about all the rhetoric and fear mongoring as the two sides basically go back and forth negotiating on funding, location and scope. It will get sorted, and it's not going to be 20 years before we get a new building.
Who's panicking? People have just been expressing frustration that this project and the talk from the Flames about a new arena announcement being close started in 2007. That's almost ten years ago that our organization came out and said "Arena talks have started and fans can expect something incredible".

The team started the arena expectations, not the fans.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #168
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Who's panicking? People have just been expressing frustration that this project and the talk from the Flames about a new arena announcement being close started in 2007. That's almost ten years ago that our organization came out and said "Arena talks have started and fans can expect something incredible".

The team started the arena expectations, not the fans.
Tones of folks are panicking, and very very sad that a team that needed a new rink far worse than we do is getting their's first.

I agree, the Flames likely shouldn't have put this on the radar as early as they did, but they also didn't provide any timelines and these things take time. People simply like to whine for the sake of whining.