Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NCAA Basketball scandal, 10 arrested, Pitino out at Louisville

Disgusting. Cue the Gregg Marshall to Louisville talk. I certainly hope not. Wichita State's profile is way higher than it was 6 months ago and he may be even less likely to leave now.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rds-corruption
Old 09-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Death watch for Louisville. This is the 3rd major screw-up under Pitino now and the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on them.

I suspect this kind of thing is a lot more prevalent than just this group of guys, though it's hard to prove without the FBI involved.

Criminal charges will be laid as they get even deeper in this thing and eventually all affected institutions will clean house.

Edit: Just noticed that L'ville's top 2 recruits have de-committed already.

Last edited by transplant99; 09-27-2017 at 06:43 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing that the Louisville athletic department is burning down and the one guy standing unscathed....Bobby Petrino. You know you've got major problems.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Death watch for Louisville. This is the 3rd major screw-up under Pitino now and the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on them.

I suspect this kind of thing is a lot more prevalent than just this group of guys, though it's hard to prove without the FBI involved.

Criminal charges will be laid as they get even deeper in this thing and eventually all affected institutions will clean house.

Edit: Just noticed that L'ville's top 2 recruits have de-committed already.
What do you think the NCAA is going to hit them with? Think it
Will be as bad as the punishments they've handed out UNLV (basketball) and SMU (football) in the past?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They're going to be hit with a form of the death sentence

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It will be along the lines of the SMU punishment is my guess. It's a similar violation as the one that finally brought the Mustangs down.

Louisville's issue is that violations have been going on for years and years, with what seems like little interest in changing their ways. Pitino always claims he "didn't know" what was happening and throws someone else under the bus. So either he is a bald face liar or he is completely incompetent at running a program which then reflects back onto the administration. This whole scandal is deep and embedded in the fabric of the program from all appearances. The NCAA doesn't like that kind of thing.

They may lose a season of play, or they may just lose all scholarships for a couple years. Either way if the punishment is that harsh, it's effectively killing the program in the near future and inflicting hurt for at least a decade if not longer.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ton's of discussion on this since on SiriusXM since it broke. Sounds like this goes way beyond Louisville and could shake up the entire college basketball landscape. The FBI doesn't get involved in stuff like this unless it is serious and they have already essentially said this is just the tip of the iceberg for their investigation. Beyond sanctions for schools there is going to be serious criminal charges and jail time for people. And it's not just one or two schools by the sounds of it.

This has the potential to be an absolutely massive story.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually find the "will this get the SMU treatment" comments annoying, since they're always brought out for any program violation these days.

However, it might be fitting in this case.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me this is almost as shocking as how many tour de france riders were caught doping....one would have to assume that a similar thing is going on with NCAA football as well
Old 09-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
to me this is almost as shocking as how many tour de france riders were caught doping....one would have to assume that a similar thing is going on with NCAA football as well
I was going to add that thought as well. Given at least part of this has to do with shoe/footwear suppliers it seems logical that similar things were happening with football.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote