Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #1461
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt even Kipper would look good on this Flames team. They gave up way to many grade A scoring chances in the games that meant something.

Smith was and still is our MVP from the season. Without him we'd be in top 3 lottery position.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:40 AM   #1462
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is probably still rehabbing from his earlier injury. I'm more concerned about who is taking over after he is gone. Rittich and Gillies look like career backups so far.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #1463
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I doubt even Kipper would look good on this Flames team. They gave up way to many grade A scoring chances in the games that meant something.

Smith was and still is our MVP from the season. Without him we'd be in top 3 lottery position.
Johnny Gaudreau is fat and away the MVP and has been since the all-star break. I like Smith but he’s been bad since mid-February.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #1464
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Johnny Gaudreau is fat and away the MVP and has been since the all-star break. I like Smith but he’s been bad since mid-February.
Again... 36 year old workhorse goalie suffers brutal injury Feb. 11th, misses over a month of action... and he's "bad" for the rest of the season?

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #1465
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Again... 36 year old workhorse goalie suffers brutal injury Feb. 11th, misses over a month of action... and he's "bad" for the rest of the season?

Even if we give Mike all of January, he's a .910 save percentage since the calendar turned. I love Mike but that is a mediocre percentage. I still think we overused him early in the year and we paid for it the rest of the year.

Even with his entire season, he's a .916 save percentage or #20 in the league. I can't give him the team MVP for that.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #1466
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’ve seen fatter.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #1467
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
He is probably still rehabbing from his earlier injury. I'm more concerned about who is taking over after he is gone. Rittich and Gillies look like career backups so far.
In their very first back up seasons? What a leap.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #1468
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Finishing strong in meaningless games with no pressure is very different than finishing strong with everything on the line.
Somewhere Colbourne is still counting his money based off a "strong finish"
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #1469
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He was bad prior to the injury. Treliving even mentions it in that interview with Francis.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #1470
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Somewhere Colbourne is still counting his money based off a "strong finish"
Jesus...I had to look him up just now. Colborne only played 13 games for the San Antonio Rampage this year, putting up just 4 points. Safe to say he's done in the NHL.

He made $2.5 million to do that this year as a buried contract.

For all the crap Treliving takes for signing some questionable free agents, it should also be noted that he bailed on players like Colborne despite some strong stats to support re-signing him. He does have good judgement some of the time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #1471
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He was bad prior to the injury. Treliving even mentions it in that interview with Francis.
He had a few bad games prior to the injury. On the whole he was the main reason we weren't in lottery pick territory.

Regardless, it doesn't make the comment I responded to any less ignorant. Just tossing out a "He sucked after February" comment was ridiculous considering he missed a month with a significant injury and was obviously still struggling with it when he came back.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #1472
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He had a few bad games prior to the injury. On the whole he was the main reason we weren't in lottery pick territory.

Regardless, it doesn't make the comment I responded to any less ignorant. Just tossing out a "He sucked after February" comment was ridiculous considering he missed a month with a significant injury and was obviously still struggling with it when he came back.
He's been mediocre/bad nearly all season at home and was playing poorly prior to sitting out during injury. He was lights out on the road most of the season though and considering that's where the team accumulated a lot of impressive wins there's no doubt when he was on his game he was a difference maker. His play at home this season has to be a concern regardless of injuries IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #1473
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah. He's been bad nearly all season at home and was playing poorly prior to sitting out during injury. He was lights out on the road most of the season though and considering that's where the team accumulated a lot of impressive wins there's no doubt when he was on his game he was a difference maker. His play at home this season has to be a concern regardless of injuries IMO.
I'd say the home performance was more of a entire team issue over Smith IMO. The team for what ever reason forgot how to play hockey when they got home.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #1474
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I'd say the home performance was more of a entire team issue over Smith IMO. The team for what ever reason forgot how to play hockey when they got home.
Goaltenders can play well in spite of the team in front of them and he really didn't do that at home and soft goals are not attributed to team play. He's let in his share of strange and soft goals this season and most of them in a red jersey.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #1475
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Regardless, Smith suffered a pretty major injury at 37 years of age and is expected to shoulder the same load next season unless the Flames find a competent 1B to take half the starts. We all want the best for Gillies/Rittich but if they have to step in for an injured Smith at the start of the season and for longer than a month? Flames could be done quick.

Sure that's an extreme what if scenario, but after this year its a lot more plausible.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #1476
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's been mediocre/bad nearly all season at home and was playing poorly prior to sitting out during injury.

Again, my comment was about criticizing his play in Feb - April devoid of the context he was significantly injured and missed almost half that time period.

People can criticize without grandstanding and over-dramatizing.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #1477
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus...I had to look him up just now. Colborne only played 13 games for the San Antonio Rampage this year, putting up just 4 points. Safe to say he's done in the NHL.

He made $2.5 million to do that this year as a buried contract.

For all the crap Treliving takes for signing some questionable free agents, it should also be noted that he bailed on players like Colborne despite some strong stats to support re-signing him. He does have good judgement some of the time.
Many fans, including myself, were disappointed that Colborne wouldnt have signed a similar deal in Calgary to what he signed in Colorado. IIRC Treliving even made the comment that Joe’s Colorado money was less than what he was asking for here. So before I give Treliving too much credit, it would be interesting to know if Colborne turned down a Calgary offer. What would have been really impressive is trading the guy for a pick based on their read of the player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote