Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #161
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
Since he is going to lose, I hope he tries for a super man punch in the 1st round. Just to get the crowd going
He won't do anything like that. I think that the big con is that people are renting this thing in the hopes that he executes a superman punch, or a kick or a takedown. And partially this world tour has promoted this by making these two guys play the I'm angry you're a jerk card.

But the background contract ensures that he won't do it, it would cost beyond way too much money.

Here's what I think is going to happen.

1) Round 1 - Duck and dive by Mayweather, Connor chases him around, very few punches land

2) Round 2 - same thing

3) Round 3 - Same thing, McGregor starts to get frustrated and starts to throw wild punches.

Fash forward to round 5

McGregor is tired, he's never had to go this long, his arms start to drop. Mayweather goes on the offense.

Round 6 - McGregor is now exhausted, his frustration and lack of tactical experience betrays him. Mayweather closes in and starts peppering him, and eventually cuts him open.

Round 7 - Mayweather works on a cut over McGregor's eye and busts it wide open.

Ref checks on McGregor's eye which is the size of a testicle he consults with the ring doctor and they decide to stop the fight.

McGregor and Mayweather hug they call each other the best and thank each other

In the post game presser both state that they really respect each other and gaze at each other deeply, they both insist there won't be another fight.

They retire to a hotel suite and roll around in a bed made of a thousand dollar bills.

The next morning fans s%%% all over the match.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #162
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ and to add to this, Mayweather can take a punch. It's not like Connor just has to get one through and the fight's over. He has to get one through, perfectly placed and Floyd can't see it coming. Could it happen? Sure. But I wouldn't put money on it.

Maybe I'm the only one, but when you watch the Olympics and see the 100m sprint, do you ever wish there was an average guy in the field? Just to see how amazing the real athletes are? That's what this is.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #163
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Right, but Conor has literally zero professional fights and zero meaningful amateur fights. This is almost like Man v Beast back in the day on FOX when a human raced a zebra and a giraffe. Yeah I mean I guess the human could pull the miracle, but would you really pay good money for it? As far as "knowing the outcome", if you were forced to put every cent you owned on someone winning this fight, Conor might literally have zero people betting on him.

The vast. vast, vast majority of people think this will suck ####. And repeating myself again, but if "punchers chance" is your argument, and you didn't buy every other Floyd fight, you're saying a guy who, again, has fought zero meaningful boxing matches, has a better chance than any of Floyd's opponents ever has. How is that anything other than delusion of the highest order?

If you're looking for a true doppelganger to this fight, this is probably the best one. A lot of people thought Gatti had a real chance too. An utter destruction later, and yeah. Conor will be lucky to lose this badly. I get people really hate Floyd (not Conor interestingly enough, he loves using the Floyd tite to get paid), but he's still at worst one of the 20-25 best boxers of all-time.

But here's the thing, you're not asking what my argument is but rather you are telling me what my argument is because that supports the story you want to tell and impossing it me like it is my stance.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go for it.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #165
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Fox is airing some prelim bouts, so why the hell not. First one pretty good scrap until the stronger young welterweight floored his opponent.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #166
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Go for it.
Well like I hinted at, pretending you know the outcome of a fight before it happens is just guessing and nothing more.

For me, the fight is Mayweather vs Father Time, and over the course of anytime line it doesn't matter how great you are or how legendary you are if you stick around 1 day to long father time delivers you a beating from an opponent that has no place to be considered on the same level as you. Does that happen in this fight, doubt it but anyone that has been a fan of the fight game long enough has seen it happen to many fighters. The thing is, it's only in retrospective that the fighters are labeled washed up by then and never the day of the fight. History has a way of re-witing fans memories.

- But what is interesting, is does Conor take the fight to a MMA distance and how easily is a skilled boxer able to pick that apart. Does anyone dare try and fight a boxer at a MMA distance and can the boxer close the ground.

- What will be Conor's reaction when his body starts getting lit up, will he be able to adjust or will he drown right there. The body is only ever used effectively by two MMA fighters.

- What will Conor's reaction to being hit with a punch that technique, accuracy, and crispness is unlike anything he would have ever seen? Finding out what elite sticking really is.

- As people talk about decisions and Floyd's game but if this dare fairs to go to a decision this will be a huge black eye for boxing, Mayweather needs to take him out and take him out fast. Thats a lot of pressure, pressure his shoulders are use to carrying but never to the extreme that one slip or mistake could embarrass his sport and tarnish his legacy. Anything less than absolute perfection will be questioned and thats a lot of pressure.

Is it's a joke fight that has no more competitiveness than Couture vs Toney or will turn out like when the experts that said that a Kirate disciplined fighter would latterly kill if one fought another discipline.

So called experts will mock and criticize, look down all they can because they see things with an elitism that blinds themselves that anything outside their box couldn't be possible or bring something to the table new. They might even state it and circle back afterward patting themselves on the back stroking their ego that they were right. But the truth is, it only takes one slight change in equations and a different result can accrue

I don't expect one, but I'm a lot more interested in watching and learning and basing my opinion from that. There will be plenty of time to criticize afterward there's no need to do so beforehand when you don't know what the actual fight will be but only can guess
Old 08-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #167
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mayweather doesn't have to chase this fight in the slightest. He doesn't need to "take him out fast" and I'm sure he doesn't give a #### what this does for the perception of boxing. He's fighting for a huge payday, not for the legacy of the sport.

He's never been a finisher, so I'm not sure why you'd assume there's a sudden pressure for him to be one now at 40 just because he's fighting an MMA fighter.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #168
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But the fundamental equation remains the same no matter what your argument is: Conor can only win by knockout. If he won by decision it wouldn't just be the greatest upset in sports history, it'd be the greatest upset (and win period) in the history of the universe. To outbox even an aging Floyd would be an astonishing, monumental achievement....or much more likely Floyd threw the fight. So all arguments start and end with a Conor win by knockout, which comes back to "can he land a lucky punch"? Floyd has a very good chin, and again, no ground and pound means he can afford a knockdown and would still skate to a win. So even if Conor lands the one punch, it might not matter.

And Floyd doesn't care about boxing, he views himself as the greatest because he'll be 50-0 and the richest fighter ever, so this notion he's under pressure to win by knockout...no, he's under pressure to pay the IRS, but that's the only pressure he's under. Another win that's boring as #### like the Manny fight is 100% fine with Floyd. He didn't take this fight because there's risk involved, he took it for the easy paycheck (to be garnished a little obviously).
Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #169
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the approximate time the fight will actually start?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #170
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
What's the approximate time the fight will actually start?
Some time shortly after 9 MST.

edit: or 9:15 at the earliest

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/sta...65292270075904
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #171
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

UFC Fight Pass is down due to the traffic
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #172
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fight is going to be delayed because a lot of PPV is down in the US.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #173
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they showing a match right now with a Gervonta Davis for others too?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #174
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Is there anywhere I can watch this online? Without having to use $?
savemedrzaius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #175
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fight still delayed for PPV?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #176
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Fight still delayed for PPV?
Singing Anthems now
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #177
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell was that song that was sung for Macgregor?
and the fight will start in about 30 mins with this windbag singing the american anthem.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #178
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov
What the hell was that song that was sung for Macgregor?

Whaaaa? Irish Anthem.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #179
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

They sing the anthems for boxing? Huh.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #180
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp: