Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anyone use a home meal kit delivery service?

Does anyone use one of those home meal delivery services where they send you the ingredients and you make it yourself?

My wife and I are interested in trying it out but aren't sure where to start. Any recommendations? All I know is that Chefs Plate comes up first on Google and that's as far as I've got.

Ideally we'd like one with enough gluten-free options to choose from (celiac).
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me and my wife have talked about this as well, but have yet to take the plunge. It would probably be easier for us with the work schedules we have. So if anyone here does it I also would like to know how it is.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't tried one like that, but would be interested in hearing people's experiences. For awhile, I used a service called Nutri-go (I think) but those were meals already prepared and then you just re-heated. They came twice a week and brought three dinners at a time. I found the portions were big enough that I often split each meal into two. They changed their order policies though and you needed to order a lot more at once, which made it not work for me anymore.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Also interested. Would also be interested in complete meals for lunches. Eating healthier hits a bit of a wall when one's lazy.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only other service I've heard of is Hello Fresh, but it doesn't seem to offer plans catered for gluten free diets.

If I was cooking for a family I would sign up for one of these services in a heartbeat. It seems like a waste when you're just cooking for yourself. To me, at least.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely more interested in the meal kits you prepare yourself. Part of the motivation is becoming better at cooking and this sounds like an easy way to do that. I'm too lazy and disinterested to pick recipes and grocery shop.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've used Chef's Plate a bunch and like it. The meal sizes are good for two adults and most of the time I have leftovers. Everything has arrived on time, cold and well packed. Never had an issue with getting the wrong items or anything spoiled.

Can probably dig up a promo code somewhere for a discount if anyone is interested
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cousin uses Chef's Plate, and sent us a referral which meant it was really cheap for the first 2 meals. I thought it was a silly idea, but gave it a try. I also thought they'd prep it for you, and you just toss the ingredients in and cook. Nope. You have to chop everything, mix it, etc. There were really no time savings except maybe the spice blend. Basically it saves you from going shopping for the meal. But that makes little sense to me, because I'm going to be buying potatoes and onions anyway, and I'm still going to be at the store for other stuff, and I know how to cook, so a recipe isn't doing me much.

You also only making a meal for 2, or 4. I often like leftovers for lunch. So 2 days that week I was stuck without lunch. Even if the service made sense, I wouldn't be able to use it because they only have a few gluten free options, so we didn't have a lot to pick from. I know, not their fault, it's just an issue for me.

You also end up with a load of containers to dispose of. It just doesn't seem very efficient. And not cheap, either. One and done for us.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those who want the food, but less preparation, there is Dashing Dishes. You can pick up or have delivered. They are packed in ziplock bags and you do the cooking, but the ingredients are all cut up, measured, and in the bags. Some of the meals are complete (such as a pasta bake), but a lot are just the protein and you have to take care of your own sides (meat with a sauce or marinade). There are stove top, oven, and slow cooker options.

I've used their service off and on for several years, as it is more flexible (you freeze the meals and thaw as you want them).
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that sounds better than Chef's Plate.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

We use papa john's
Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea if it's available in Canada yet, but we have been using Blue Apron for the better part of 2 and a half years now. We get 3 meals a week for 2 people and it's about $60. It's cheaper than takeout, and far healthier too. You get the raw ingredients, but the prep work is probably no more than 15 minutes at most. The recipes are easy, but quite flavorful, and comes in a variety of cuisines. That's the part I like so much. It's mostly quite healthy food, but the flavors are great and you never get bored with it. They are now offering more choices, so you can pick more of what you want to eat.

One other great thing about them is they do a lot of vegetarian recipes. We usually do at least one vegetarian dinner a week if not more, and their recipes are extremely tasty. You could easily do all vegetarian meals if you want (we have and it was really good).

The nice thing about 3 meals a week is that on a busy weeknight, dinner is already planned and you just have to execute it. It gives us flexibility and we still cook other meals that we plan the other nights, or just go out to eat/take out. I highly recommend it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get a recipe and learn how to cook? It will help you in the long run. I imagine a gluten free meal kit service would be hella expensive.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Ragz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No idea if it's available in Canada yet, but we have been using Blue Apron.
This sounds identically like chef's plate, We have been using the service for about 3 months and we are loving it. My Wife and I are not cooks, before this it would either eat takeout or cook the same ol' bland meals week after week. Meals are simple, easy to follow and great tasting, the best part is we are cooking meals and using flavors that we would never have cooked at home.

I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get a recipe and learn how to cook? It will help you in the long run. I imagine a gluten free meal kit service would be hella expensive.
Not sure it would be, When we did cook it is just for two of us, we always over cooked which lead to over eating or wastage, I feel now that our portions are controlled.

Can you really cook 3 meals for 2 on $60 per week. (lets not use the 3 boxes of Kraft Dinner as an example)

Last edited by Ragz; 08-11-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragz View Post
This sounds identically like chef's plate, We have been using the service for about 3 months and we are loving it. My Wife and I are not cooks, before this it would either eat takeout or cook the same ol' bland meals week after week. Meals are simple, easy to follow and great tasting, the best part is we are cooking meals and using flavors that we would never have cooked at home.

I highly recommend it.

Not sure it would be, When we did cook it is just for two of us, we always over cooked which lead to over eating or wastage, I feel now that our portions are controlled.

Can you really cook 3 meals for 2 on $60 per week. (lets not use the 3 boxes of Kraft Dinner as an example)
I could totally cook 3 meals for 2 on $60/week. You can do it for half of that for only 2 people. That's what I would spend on 3 meals for 4 of us if my wife or I is cooking.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #16
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

...the extra price is worth not having to pick recipes, go grocery shopping, or just not having to put any thought into things.

I gave Chef's Plate a try for a week. 3 meals coming. Let's see how this goes.

I also checked out Blue Apron. It looks identical to Chef's Plate. They're only in the US though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been using Chef's Plate too for a little over a year now. My wife and I used to go to the grocery store weekly, buy too much or not enough and often end up with a bunch of junk food.

We've saved a ton of money and time and pretty much never go to the grocery store anymore; all our household stuff and snacks come from Amazon.

And as someone who barely knew how to cook before, I've definitely learned a lot about basic cooking since I started. (Water needs to boil before putting the pasta in )
BeltlineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

About Dashing Dishes, do they send you an entire meal, like the entree plus all the fixin's? Or is it only the entree and it's up to you to provide the side dishes?

Thanks
ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #19
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschand View Post
About Dashing Dishes, do they send you an entire meal, like the entree plus all the fixin's? Or is it only the entree and it's up to you to provide the side dishes?

Thanks
ers
It depends on the meal, but in general it's just the entree. Some of them come with rice or pasta and it's noted in the description when that is the case.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #20
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been using Jolly Table for almost 6 months now, and I love it.

Jolly Table sends you the raw ingredients and the recipes and it's up to you to prepare the meal. All of the meals take less than 40 minutes (most 30 minutes) to prepare from start to finish.

With Jolly Table you get to pick your meals each week, so if you have favourites you can order them again - or get something brand new. The food is healthy, there are a number of Gluten Free options for those who want that - and I've found the prices to be better than the other services out there. Especially as a single guy, you can order portions for one.

They have an excellent trial option where each dish comes out to about $8 for a month I believe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post: