Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #181
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think more of this needs to happen. The prices are getting insane.
the TV money has created a market where small teams have the option of telling the big clubs to either drastically overpay or get lost. It has never been more difficult more the top teams to buy good players at reasonable prices ... which in itself isn't a bad thing IMO, it's great that the smaller clubs get a bigger piece of the cake nowadays. It involves a big risk though too because players could soon refrain from committing long-term to those smaller clubs. If you are a player who only plans to stay a couple of years at a smaller club before making the proverbial next step, are you going to commit long-term after seeing the VVD situation unfold this summer? Surely not. Maybe shorter contracts and/or buyout clauses are something that we are going to see more often.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #182
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the TV money has created a market where small teams have the option of telling the big clubs to either drastically overpay or get lost. It has never been more difficult more the top teams to buy good players at reasonable prices ... which in itself isn't a bad thing IMO, it's great that the smaller clubs get a bigger piece of the cake nowadays. It involves a big risk though too because players could soon refrain from committing long-term to those smaller clubs. If you are a player who only plans to stay a couple of years at a smaller club before making the proverbial next step, are you going to commit long-term after seeing the VVD situation unfold this summer? Surely not. Maybe shorter contracts and/or buyout clauses are something that we are going to see more often.
Thats really the issue for me. The commitments dont mean a damned thing. Be they player contracts or whatever. They dont matter.

Look at Coutinho, he just, just signed a new contract and now he wants out. Any player can do this. They can sign a big-money contract and then just pout and demand a move later.

The contracts dont matter.

Thats what I like about the NHL, once you're under contract that goes with you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #183
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'd let him sit. For us to have a positive window after selling Coutinho, we'd need to be able to buy our top targets in Keita and Van Dijk, plus someone like Brandt to replace Coutinho.

As it stands, all 3 of those targets are a total no go. No chance I'd sell.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #184
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Would you rather have 1 Neymar or 4 Sigurdssons
1 neymar
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #185
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks poor upon the club, to get pushed around so late in the season, imo.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #186
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thomas Lemar is now a target for Man United after the collapse of the Perisic deal, according to Mourinhos mouthpiece Duncan Castles.

That would turn a very good window into an outstanding one. Here's hoping.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #187
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thomas Lemar is now a target for Man United after the collapse of the Perisic deal, according to Mourinhos mouthpiece Duncan Castles.

That would turn a very good window into an outstanding one. Here's hoping.
I think he's been a target of every club in the PL now?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #188
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think he's been a target of every club in the PL now?
no idea, I only know he's been linked to Arsenal for a while now.

Either way, I'm happy the Perisic deal didn't happen. Inter was taking the piss with their demands (€50m + Martial on loan).
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #189
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Either way, I'm happy the Perisic deal didn't happen. Inter was taking the piss with their demands (€50m + Martial on loan).
I suppose it's impossible to know what a real "link" is these days, but Spurs were apparently after him earlier this summer as well. Sometimes these rumours are hilarious though, in general. Like the media looks and thinks "this team could use an attacking mid, so lets look around and see who that could be..."

And really, these are multibillion dollar organizations, but when it comes to the window they still have to "scout" players who are entirely well known to anyone paying attention. It would be like the Flames sending scouts to see if they should trade for Malkin. But I suppose that is all part of the game.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #190
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose it's impossible to know what a real "link" is these days, but Spurs were apparently after him earlier this summer as well. Sometimes these rumours are hilarious though, in general. Like the media looks and thinks "this team could use an attacking mid, so lets look around and see who that could be..."

And really, these are multibillion dollar organizations, but when it comes to the window they still have to "scout" players who are entirely well known to anyone paying attention. It would be like the Flames sending scouts to see if they should trade for Malkin. But I suppose that is all part of the game.
yup. It's amazing though how much BS you can filter out when you only look at "reliable" news outlets. BBC, Telegraph, Times, Guardian ... that's it. Just ignore all the other crap. Too bad the "reliable" list is getting smaller every year - this summer I've crossed off Sky Sports. Co-owning a betting company just seems like an obvious reason to have an interest in planting fake rumours.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #191
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it was, that they asked for Martial on loan, AFTER declining Perisic?

The balls.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #192
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

sounds like Liverpool are close to signing Nice's Jean-Michel Seri.

Very good player and the midfield ball-passer that Liverpool needs but at 5'4", not sure how that translates to the Premier League.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #193
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been holding off posting this here because I didn't want to see someone swoop in at the end, but Spurs have potentially signed Davinson Sanchez. Pretty excited at the prospect of that, which would likely see some dominoes fall as Wimmer heads to West Brom which allows City to buy Jonny Evans.

Sanchez would be a great addition to Alderweireld and Vertonghen.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #194
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sanchez transfer is interesting because he plays at a position where they already have Vertonghen and Alderwielder, plus Dier can play at CB if needed and Wimmer wasn't that bad. Does make you wonder if they plan to continue their shift to a 3-4-2-1 full time this year.

Helps hide the depth issues they have at LB/RB if they are willing to play those formations more.

Kane
Alli - Eriksen
Rose - Dier - Dembele - Walker-Peters
Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Davidson

Keeps their top three together, and would be a dominant back 3 when they are together. Plus you still have Dier that can drop back and cover. Helps with some of the depth issues by moving to that formation too.

Attacking: Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Son, Jannsen, Lamela

LM: Rose, Davies, N'Koudou

CM: Dembele, Wanyama, Sissoko, Winks

RM:Walker-Peters, Trippier

CB:Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Carter-Vickers

Everywhere: Dier

Depth with that formation looks decent. Could use another RM but Dier can play there and Walker-Peters was impressive in Game 1. Only real hole IMO is a striker that can spell Kane, Son can do it but I'm not sure he is best suited for that role.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #195
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think that's the direction they're heading in. A back three of Vertonghen - Toby - Davinson is pretty stacked! I think they still need another player or two, but it's a good signing.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #196
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah they're going to sell I think. Then roll that cash into Lanzini and for their sake hopefully VVD. I know the fans like the idea of playing hardball and all that (and I feel the same with Rose at Spurs), but the truth is they will take the cash and move along.
Given the stubbornness of Klopp to have only Plan A and nothing else as well as the limited time left in this transfer window, I highly doubt that that the extra money will do anything for Liverpool. They don't need it to make purchases. They're better off keeping Coutinho this season. I'd highly doubt that he'd sit out given the need to keep his national team spot as he's only just earned it recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
sounds like Liverpool are close to signing Nice's Jean-Michel Seri.

Very good player and the midfield ball-passer that Liverpool needs but at 5'4", not sure how that translates to the Premier League.
Seri gave an interview saying he suffers from chillblains and couldn't see himself moving to a club in a cold country.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #197
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's a great signing for Spurs. A back three with Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Sanchez looks really good on paper. I hope Wimmer moves now too, the Austrian national team would really benefit from him finding a team where he actually plays.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know what the hell is going on between Chelsea and Diego Costa but its hilarious.

I wish I was a crazy Qatari Gazillionaire, I'd buy a small town and build the greatest football team the world has ever known!

Get Costa there and Balotteli and John Terry, come on guys, help me out here, whats your starting XI for "Batcrap Insanity F.C.?"

Gotta have Suarez....but hes only allowed like 2 bites per season in all competitions.

Eric Cantona could coach if we couldnt pry Zidane from Real. Or maybe Paolo DiCanio.

Joey Barton! We'd need him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #199
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, apparently Liverpool has rejected $114m for Coutinho. I'm a little bit surprised because that is a huge pile of cash, but then like others have noted they wouldn't have time to spend it this window. It will be interesting to see this play out. I thought that they would move him, and surely Coutinho isn't thrilled with it, but then again these guys sign the deals and are happy to do that at the time.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, apparently Liverpool has rejected $114m for Coutinho. I'm a little bit surprised because that is a huge pile of cash, but then like others have noted they wouldn't have time to spend it this window. It will be interesting to see this play out. I thought that they would move him, and surely Coutinho isn't thrilled with it, but then again these guys sign the deals and are happy to do that at the time.
Actually it was reportedly £118M.

I'm happy that Liverpool are sticking to their guns on this.

We dont need the money, despite the fact that its an insane amount of money.

Thats the part where it always seems to break down for me in my mind. I like Coutinho but thats a crazy amount of money, but if we dont need it then why sell?

The money is nice and all but if it doesnt help you replace what Coutinho brings on the field then what good is it?

I just hate the primadonna attitudes. "I want to go and play for Barca!!"

Yeah, I dont doubt it, Barca is a much better than Liverpool at the moment, Spain is much nicer than England, the Spanish League is a lot easier than the PL, theres lots of positives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: