Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #81
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this just proves how shallow people actually are. Why is the world so infatuated with Justin? He's quote unquote DREAMY.

If you ask people why they love him besides the fact that he's dreamy and has all his hair, you get blanket responses.

Oh well you know he's pro women. Harper had many women in his cabinet, as did previous governments. That's nothing new in Canada.

Pro LGBT: Since 2004 (or 06?) Canada has allowed SSM and the debate was never talked about again. This is not a Justin phenomenon.

He's such an environmental caretaker: Harper couldn't get the pipelines approved, and Justin is moving forward. Besides the stupendously dumb carbon tax (read: wealth redistribution tax), Justin isn't doing anything for the environment that previous governments haven't done.

There is really nothing new or refreshing in Canada because of this pioneer PM, yet the world seems to think he transformed a backwoods red neck racist religious country into a scientific wonderland and progressive utopia. I suppose that's not a bad thing, but I again I think it just shows the people are kinda shallow.

His biggest win is that he's not Trump. Like that was an accomplishment.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #82
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

More valuable and insightful than the Rolling Stone interview was Trudeau's appearance on the West Wing Weekly Podcast.

He's in about the last 15-20 minutes:

http://thewestwingweekly.com/

A couple articles about it as well:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...the-west-wing/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.81a3d66d03cb

Toward the end when asked about immigration and ideas of assimilation, Trudeau actually comes up with one of the most cogent definitions of that elusive idea of Canadian identity that I've heard. Really worth a listen.

If you were ever a fan of The West Wing too, this podcast generally is superb listening.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #83
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
More valuable and insightful than the Rolling Stone interview was Trudeau's appearance on the West Wing Weekly Podcast.

He's in about the last 15-20 minutes:

http://thewestwingweekly.com/

A couple articles about it as well:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...the-west-wing/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.81a3d66d03cb

Toward the end when asked about immigration and ideas of assimilation, Trudeau actually comes up with one of the most cogent definitions of that elusive idea of Canadian identity that I've heard. Really worth a listen.

If you were ever a fan of The West Wing too, this podcast generally is superb listening.
While our greatest prime ministers were influenced by the writings of Keynes, Laski, Friedman, and Schumpeter, Trudeau and his handlers are drawing inspiration from an American television show. As he finds the time to appear on obscure pop culture podcasts, our federal deficit continues to grow and foreign direct investment is fleeing Canada at a rate not seen in decades.

Forgive me for not sharing your enthusiasm for this.

Interestingly enough, Trudeau admits in this interview that he essentially leaves the substance of governance to his team and instead focuses on "connecting with people."
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #84
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alrighty then. I guess I missed the part where he said he only draws inspiration from American TV.

I read the bit about the substance of government being about a difference between he and the Bartlet character in that he spends more time in conversation with the public, not that he just leaves behind the scenes political and governing work just for aides.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #85
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Alrighty then. I guess I missed the part where he said he only draws inspiration from American TV.

I read the bit about the substance of government being about a difference between he and the Bartlet character in that he spends more time in conversation with the public, not that he just leaves behind the scenes political and governing work just for aides.
I didn't say it's his only influence, but based on what I've read about him I doubt his intellectual depth extends much deeper than that. He's certainly not his father's son.

I just think things like this (and appearing on Regis & Kelly show, Rolling Stone etc.) are representative of the superficial nature of Trudeau's premiership. Many Canadians are okay with this, and that's fine, but I miss the days when prime ministers earned their positions based on merit.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #86
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think this just proves how shallow people actually are. Why is the world so infatuated with Justin? He's quote unquote DREAMY.

If you ask people why they love him besides the fact that he's dreamy and has all his hair, you get blanket responses.

Oh well you know he's pro women. Harper had many women in his cabinet, as did previous governments. That's nothing new in Canada.

Pro LGBT: Since 2004 (or 06?) Canada has allowed SSM and the debate was never talked about again. This is not a Justin phenomenon.

He's such an environmental caretaker: Harper couldn't get the pipelines approved, and Justin is moving forward. Besides the stupendously dumb carbon tax (read: wealth redistribution tax), Justin isn't doing anything for the environment that previous governments haven't done.

There is really nothing new or refreshing in Canada because of this pioneer PM, yet the world seems to think he transformed a backwoods red neck racist religious country into a scientific wonderland and progressive utopia. I suppose that's not a bad thing, but I again I think it just shows the people are kinda shallow.

His biggest win is that he's not Trump. Like that was an accomplishment.
Looks will always matter in politics or any aspect of human culture. We are drawn to attractive people. If Trudeau is a short bald guy nobody is paying much attention to him outside of Canada but he's not so it is what it is. After his last name it's the biggest thing going for him and you can't fault him for maximizing what he has been given.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #87
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
but I miss the days when prime ministers earned their positions based on merit.
The days you're missing are fictional (or rather only exist in your imagination).

Prime Ministers "earn their position" on the basis of their skill and ability to gain the leadership of whatever political party they lead and that political party's ability to elect enough MP's to command the confidence of the House of Commons... thus "merit" is only (and has always only been) the ability to do precisely that.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #88
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

This post is just overflowing with nuance.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #89
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
The days you're missing are fictional (or rather only exist in your imagination).
No, the "average guy" party leader is a very recent phenomenon. Right now we have an insurance salesman as the leader of the opposition and the PM is a grad school dropout who's accomplishments amount to a fleeting career as a teacher.

Previously, academic or professional achievement was a key requirement for anyone seeking party leadership. In fact, Trudeau is the first Prime Minister since Sir Mackenzie Bowell (1894-1896) to lack a postgraduate or legal qualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Prime Ministers "earn their position" on the basis of their skill and ability to gain the leadership of whatever political party they lead and that political party's ability to elect enough MP's to command the confidence of the House of Commons... thus "merit" is only (and has always only been) the ability to do precisely that.
Or, in Trudeau's case, the skill and ability of Gerry Butts to maneuver Justin through the inner workings of the Liberal Party.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
No, the "average guy" party leader is a very recent phenomenon. Right now we have an insurance salesman as the leader of the opposition and the PM is a grad school dropout who's accomplishments amount to a fleeting career as a teacher.

Previously, academic or professional achievement was a key requirement for anyone seeking party leadership. In fact, Trudeau is the first Prime Minister since Sir Mackenzie Bowell (1894-1896) to lack a postgraduate or legal qualification.

Or, in Trudeau's case, the skill and ability of Gerry Butts to maneuver Justin through the inner workings of the Liberal Party.
If his last name wasnt 'Trudeau' he'd probably be on EI.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #91
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't understand why some people keep bringing up his teaching career as if Trudeau should be embarrassed by it. Are teachers shamed in Alberta or something?

He went to UBC, McGill, was involved in politics for 7 years and is now PM. I'm not sure why he should be embarrassed by that?

You don't like him, fine, I get it. But to bring up his teaching career or schooling like it's something he should be ashamed of is pretty ridiculous, imo.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #92
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't understand why some people keep bringing up his teaching career as if Trudeau should be embarrassed by it. Are teachers shamed in Alberta or something?

He went to UBC, McGill, was involved in politics for 7 years and is now PM. I'm not sure why he should be embarrassed by that?

You don't like him, fine, I get it. But to bring up his teaching career or schooling like it's something he should be ashamed of is pretty ridiculous, imo.
Its not his teaching career that has any relevance at all, its that he was no good at it.

Do you not see the correlation between not being able to hack it as a teacher and then getting into Politics and becoming PM because your dad was once?

I dont care if he was a teacher or a neurosurgeon, I care about the fact that he wasnt any good at it and then just became PM because his last name was right.

And like I said on page 1, I prefer Justin when hes seen and not heard. Have you heard the man speak? Without a prepared speech in front of him?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #93
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its not his teaching career that has any relevance at all, its that he was no good at it.
He was no good at it?

Quote:
According to "The Contender," HuffPost Canada's ebook on Trudeau, he taught math, French, humanities and drama between 1999 and 2001 at Vancouver's elite private school West Point Grey as well as public high school Sir Winston Churchill Secondary.

In the book, author and Ottawa bureau chief Althia Raj quotes Trudeau's boss at West Point Grey, Stephen Anthony, describing Trudeau as "highly valued, spirited and enthusiastic." According to Anthony, he was liked by both staff and students.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10...n_8372502.html
Save
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #94
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Do you not see the correlation between not being able to hack it as a teacher and then getting into Politics and becoming PM because your dad was once?
No I don't. What do you mean he couldn't hack it?

And he was around politics his entire life. There is a chance he followed his father's career choice because he was passionate about it. I understand that.

My beef is people using the 'drama teacher' or 'math teacher' comments as an insult. Yes he was a teacher. Not exactly a job to be embarrassed about.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
He was no good at it?

Quote:
According to "The Contender," HuffPost Canada's ebook on Trudeau, he taught math, French, humanities and drama between 1999 and 2001 at Vancouver's elite private school West Point Grey as well as public high school Sir Winston Churchill Secondary.

In the book, author and Ottawa bureau chief Althia Raj quotes Trudeau's boss at West Point Grey, Stephen Anthony, describing Trudeau as "highly valued, spirited and enthusiastic." According to Anthony, he was liked by both staff and students.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10...n_8372502.html
Save
Look, we can go back and forth about this all we want and I'm really not all that interested but riddle me this:

Take Trudeau's resume, change his last name, do you think he is where he is now?

And just a quick reminder:

Quote:
Which he does not have.

But trotting out quotes from...what? The director of an 'Elite Private School?' Yeah, whats he going to say about a former pupil whose family paid huge money to have him there and who the school is likely banking on continuing to get money from?

Yeah, Trudeau. Is he just that good? He doesnt need qualifications or certifications or experience, hes Trudeau!

Maybe some of of the criticism is valid? Not of the 'Drama Teacher' nonsense, that crap doesnt matter.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #96
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Look, we can go back and forth about this all we want and I'm really not all that interested but riddle me this:

Take Trudeau's resume, change his last name, do you think he is where he is now?

And just a quick reminder:

Which he does not have.

But trotting out quotes from...what? The director of an 'Elite Private School?' Yeah, whats he going to say about a former pupil whose family paid huge money to have him there and who the school is likely banking on continuing to get money from?

Yeah, Trudeau. Is he just that good? He doesnt need qualifications or certifications or experience, hes Trudeau!

Maybe some of of the criticism is valid? Not of the 'Drama Teacher' nonsense, that crap doesnt matter.
He was elected to the House of Commons in 2008. He's been the leader of the Liberal Party since 2013. He won the 2015 election and has been the Prime Minister since then. You may not like him, but when you say he doesn't have qualifications or experience, you sound like a dope.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #97
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
He was elected to the House of Commons in 2008. He's been the leader of the Liberal Party since 2013. He won the 2015 election and has been the Prime Minister since then. You may not like him, but when you say he doesn't have qualifications or experience, you sound like a dope.
Really? Everyone before him for a 100 years has had some form of Professional Accreditation but he doesnt...and I sound like a dope?

Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #98
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Everyone before him for a 100 years has had some form of Professional Accreditation but he doesnt...and I sound like a dope?
You said he doesn't have experience. He has two years' experience being the PM. He's been in the House since 2008. He was politically active before that. That's all experience and that experience is what qualifies him.

He doesn't have a Master's Degree? Who gives a fata? It clearly didn't disqualify him (nor should it have), so what do you care that he didn't stay at University an extra two years when he was 23?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #99
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Even beyond the accreditation, Locke said something that's kind of key

If you change his last name, he's a footnote.

His time as MP was marked by a brutal attendance record where he spent his time as an MP doing speeches for pay at schools instead of in the house of Commons. He wasn't active in any committees. He wasn't visible in question period except for calling an MP a I think it was "piece of %%%"

When he was the Liberal party leader he was invisible in question period because he was awful at it and Ralph Goodale pretty much stepped in and took the role as the party lead in the house of commons.

With a different last name prior to being party leader, the party isn't putting its full weight behind him to ensure that he was given the leadership role, not because he's a good leader, but because he's a legacy, and he's cute and charming, and he's the cool kid.

To give credit where credit was due, the Liberals ran a great election campaign, the weak spot was Trudeau who was underwhelming and running against a Prime Minister who had hit his best before label and was done.

I get the jist of the article, he's little Mr Sunshine on the world stage. But it was an article with very little depth and even less digging, in other words, they gave him a pass because he's cute, and not mean Mr Smith . . . Donald Trump

I mean come on Mr Environmental conscience went to Paris with Darth Destroy the Environment Harper, and sat around screaming that Canada was back.

How many election promises has he lied about.

How does Angela Merkel really feel about him after he tossed her under the bus when Trump walked away from the Paris Accords?

The kid is Teflon, he's got a great political operator in Butts and the old guard of Liberals behind him. Basically he doesn't need accreditation to go take long shirtless jogs along the River and roast marshmallows on film with his kids.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #100
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Even beyond the accreditation, Locke said something that's kind of key

If you change his last name, he's a footnote.

His time as MP was marked by a brutal attendance record where he spent his time as an MP doing speeches for pay at schools instead of in the house of Commons. He wasn't active in any committees. He wasn't visible in question period except for calling an MP a I think it was "piece of %%%"

When he was the Liberal party leader he was invisible in question period because he was awful at it and Ralph Goodale pretty much stepped in and took the role as the party lead in the house of commons.

With a different last name prior to being party leader, the party isn't putting its full weight behind him to ensure that he was given the leadership role, not because he's a good leader, but because he's a legacy, and he's cute and charming, and he's the cool kid.

To give credit where credit was due, the Liberals ran a great election campaign, the weak spot was Trudeau who was underwhelming and running against a Prime Minister who had hit his best before label and was done.

I get the jist of the article, he's little Mr Sunshine on the world stage. But it was an article with very little depth and even less digging, in other words, they gave him a pass because he's cute, and not mean Mr Smith . . . Donald Trump

I mean come on Mr Environmental conscience went to Paris with Darth Destroy the Environment Harper, and sat around screaming that Canada was back.

How many election promises has he lied about.

How does Angela Merkel really feel about him after he tossed her under the bus when Trump walked away from the Paris Accords?

The kid is Teflon, he's got a great political operator in Butts and the old guard of Liberals behind him. Basically he doesn't need accreditation to go take long shirtless jogs along the River and roast marshmallows on film with his kids.
Literally nothing you said is factual. All innuendo; nothing substantive.