Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #61
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I ended up ordering from the big sky astronomical society. $4 each.

They will either ship them, or you can pick them up at a pre set time and place in south Calgary.

If you email them you will get all the info.

http://www.bigsky.ab.ca/solar-eclipse-2017.html
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #62
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought this 5-pack on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Eclipse-Glasse...dp/B00712I3JA/ they were 36.42 yesterday 42.10 today.

There were still reasonable places on AirBNB a bit away from the zone. We're staying in Gallatin Gateway, nice condo about 2.5 hours from Rexburg, everything closer was ridiculous ($250/night for an RV camper!). Really looking forward to it. Hopefully it's not raining.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #63
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in Boise for the summer. I plan on going up to Cascade for the eclipse. Anybody planning on being there? I could suggest a spot that may be free camping if you are interested.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #64
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just wanted to add that Bug Sky Astronomical was great to deal with. I haven't received them yet, but they were sent off today.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #65
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking I could drive down on the Sunday, sleep in the car overnight to watch the eclipse Monday and then drive back. Am I crazy? Traffic is probably going to be a nightmare.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I wonder if the US border guards might have an issue with that plan. They may be wanting to make sure people have hotels booked.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #67
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I wonder if the US border guards might have an issue with that plan. They may be wanting to make sure people have hotels booked.
So tell them you have a Hotel booked or staying with a friend? I've never had them ask for proof before.

Maybe different if the borders are super busy that week.

Or just bring a tent and tell them you are camping.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #68
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
For people just looking to go for the eclipse, the plan is reasonable though.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #69
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to see articles online about the massive amounts of people expected along the line of totality and how infrastructure is going to be pushed to the max and beyond. Smaller towns and counties requesting Federal Aid to be ready for the influx and to have the proper amount of law enforcement around, medication in hospitals, etc.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents are going to Yellowstone National Park and pretty much every around that area is sold out. It's going to be busy as hell there.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #71
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is this thing worth to watch in Calgary or not? My parents are going to the line of totality, so they bought a 5 pack of glasses and gave 1 to me since they don't need all 5. Is it worth it to try to go somewhere Monday morning to watch this? We are getting something like 80% coverage, which I'm thinking would be pretty cool to see, but not sure how much effort I should put into it.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #72
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with that 80-85% coverage we will get in YYC it will be cool to see and probably very noticeable.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #73
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
[–]MeowMixSong 600 points 7 hours ago
Is seeing a 100% total solar eclipse really that different than seeing it at 95%? Is it worth the 6 hour one way drive?

[–]NASASunEarthSolar Astronomers |NASA Goddard Space Flight Center[S] 486 points 6 hours ago
The difference between a 95% eclipse and a 100% eclipse is literally the difference between day and night. With any partial eclipse, you don't experience the "awesomeness" of totality. It's hard to put into words, but once you experience a total eclipse, you understand the difference. At 95%, you will barely notice anything going on -- just some slight dimming of daylight. - Bill
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...ntists_ask_us/

I saw this in a Reddit thread which is why it piqued my interest to drive down. I was going to stick around Calgary, with our 85% coverage, but these NASA scientists are saying you will hardly notice it.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #74
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

You will notice it but won't get the full experience. Totality is what you wanna see.
There's an animation for Calgary in the following link.
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/canada/calgary
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #75
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ignorant on the subject but I find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice that much of the sun being blocked??
Old 08-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #76
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well obviously totality is going to be a much better experience, but I was wondering if taking the Monday morning off to check it out would be worth it. Even if there is no real dimming effect, I think it might be cool to watch the moon track across the sun.

Say totality is a 10/10, and <50% coverage is a 1/10. Would 80% coverage be more like a 3 or a 7? That's basically what I'm wondering.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #77
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Well obviously totality is going to be a much better experience, but I was wondering if taking the Monday morning off to check it out would be worth it. Even if there is no real dimming effect, I think it might be cool to watch the moon track across the sun.

Say totality is a 10/10, and <50% coverage is a 1/10. Would 80% coverage be more like a 3 or a 7? That's basically what I'm wondering.
My limited understanding is that it's closer to a 3. If you're looking for complete darkness, you need totality... or, just wait until after the sun sets tonight

Oh, and obligatory Simpsons reference:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #78
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

80% coverage would still be like a cloudy day. Best way to describe a total eclipse (from my own recollection when I was 8)- have you ever seen a nasty thunderstorm suddenly roll in mid-day; and you say to yourself "man, that sure got dark quick!" That is the effect from 85-90%. Then it keeps getting darker, each bit more intense than before. In part because your circadian rhythm says it shouldn't be night yet, and in part because everything else around you gets weird. Birds start freaking out, dogs start barking. Stars start to become visible and then the street lights come back on. Then before you know it, it has gone from cloudy day to full moon night in 3 minutes. You see an amazing fireball in the sky of the sun's atmosphere for a minute or two, then everything returns to normal.

If 50% coverage is a 1/10, 80% is a 3/10 IMHO. However if I was in Calgary, I'd take some time to check it out.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #79
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope it isn't cloudy for everyone. That wouldn't be good!

My sister and dad are driving down to Idaho or something to watch.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #80
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
We are getting something like 80% coverage, which I'm thinking would be pretty cool to see, but not sure how much effort I should put into it.
Walk outside, put on glasses, look at sun, not much effort.

Yeah unfortunately I'm not able to go down either, so I'll be looking on from here, it'll be cool to watch, but totality is very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm ignorant on the subject but I find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice that much of the sun being blocked??
You'd be surprised, it changes very slowly so your eyes adjust.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: