Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PUBG - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Is Pretty Good And Casual - Now On Console!

So PUBG came out last week, and there has been an explosion of Steamfriends playing this game. Decided to pick it up last night, and I gotta say, it's pretty great.

Who the hell is PlayerUnknown?

PlayerUnknown is the guy who made the ARMA 2/3 mod Battle Royale, and made the H1Z1 KOTK mode.

What kind of game is it?

100 players are dropped on an 18x18 km island in the middle of nowhere. The island is abandoned. There remain decrepit buildings, roads, and driveable vehicles, but most other infrastructure is crumbling.

Some kind/sadistic souls have left armor, ammo, weapons (guns and melee), and grenades laying around the island. Your job is to be the Last Man Standing.

As you would suspect, this kind of gameplay could lead to people camping in some remote-ass cabin all game and drag it out insufferably. To combat this, there is an artificial field whose radius initially surrounds the entire island, but as the game goes on, progressively gets smaller and smaller, until it's less than 1km in diameter. The typical round is 25-35 minutes.

What happens when I die?

You can opt to spectate your team (if they are still alive) or go join another game.

Team? I thought it's Last Man (singular) Standing?

Yep, you can drop with a squad of up to 2, 3 or 4 people. In Duo mode you fight against 49 other 2-man teams, and in Squad you fight 25 other 4-mans.

Early Access? Is it laggy/buggy?

Graphics are nice but could certainly be smoother. Movement is a bit janky (familiar if you've played Arma/DayZ/H1Z1), but gunplay is solid. Audio is spectacular and distant gunfire can make you break in a cold sweat.

How much is it? Where can I get it?

PC only on the Steam Store for $36 CDN.

Here's a few vids:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 12-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw this on the weekend and was intrigued but I wasn't tempted enough to pull the trigger.

What do you get for winning a round?
Do you level up?
Do you earn perks or starting gear that are available when the round starts?
Is the map randomly generated each round or is the same equipment in the same spot each time?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I saw this on the weekend and was intrigued but I wasn't tempted enough to pull the trigger.

What do you get for winning a round?
Do you level up?
Do you earn perks or starting gear that are available when the round starts?
Is the map randomly generated each round or is the same equipment in the same spot each time?
1. Highest I've gotten is 8th. You receive accolades and credits.
2. Not that I've seen, but I have only played a few hours.
3. Each round you earn some type of "credits" which allows you (from what I can tell) to "buy" visual/superficial mods. I believe they are working on a perk system, but that's not in place yet (early access).
4. The map itself is static (layout, buildings), however the equipment spawns are randomized. When the round starts however, you get to parachute out of a drop plane and you can try and beeline to your favorite starting locations which can be anywhere on the island. Be careful who you land near though...

Quote:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
1. Highest I've gotten is 8th. You receive accolades and credits.
2. Not that I've seen, but I have only played a few hours.
3. Each round you earn some type of "credits" which allows you (from what I can tell) to "buy" visual/superficial mods. I believe they are working on a perk system, but that's not in place yet (early access).
4. The map itself is static (layout, buildings), however the equipment spawns are randomized. When the round starts however, you get to parachute out of a drop plane and you can try and beeline to your favorite starting locations which can be anywhere on the island. Be careful who you land near though...
Thanks for the info. I think I'll pick this up tonight and have a go.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So.. someone made a Battle Royale game? Sounds cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat, I'll keep an eye on it and nab it if it goes on sale
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Picked it up on Friday and played for a couple hours. So far been pretty good and enjoying it, but being early access it does have a few issues. Needs some better optimization, which they are working on. Last night was really bad for lag on the servers with fps down to 25, avg around 45-50 fps. Friday was better with 60+ fps avg, no dips below 50 fps. Running a gtx 1070 with i5 4590. Settings are all on medium.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, was going to wait for a sale or something but watched more videos on it and decided to buy. I like that it isn't a huge game, less than 9GB.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

its a fun game that fixes a bunch of issues H1Z1 has and it more realistic. once they optimize the game a bit better and evolve during the early access it will be an intense game.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Longest round is about 3 minutes so far
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Add me on Steam if you want to play tonight: Coys1882
Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Managed to make it to the last 20 alive. Spent the first half of the round being sneaky and looking for gear, then went hunting. Was stealthfully making my way toward the centre of the play area before it shrank. Was being smart about, staying low, cover to cover, then out of nowhere get ran over by a jeep.

Still haven't been in a firefight, but enjoying myself haha
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played 5 games last night - 34th was the best I could muster.

Some thoughts:
- loved the feeling of panic(?) when you are parachuting out and you can see 3-4 other players all hitting the same area as you.
- pretty tense when you haven't found a gun but can hear other people in the house and you're hiding in the bathroom.
- I found some ruins in the NW corner of LD - no one was going for it but there were always crates with guns/ammos/gear there. Ended up being my go to starting point.
- I found a dune buggy and ran a guy over
- the red zone? Is this just a random area targeted for artillery strikes?
- it's early access so the graphics being clunky is expected but I've seen worse.

Last edited by Coys1882; 03-28-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red zone is a random area that gets firebombed. To discourage camping is my guess.

I wish the map stayed bigger for longer, I wouldn't mind spending more time in a specific town going house to house for gear. It seems that even if I parachute somewhere in the middle, I still spend most of the game running for my life to stay in the play area. If I end up in a town I have time to hit 2 or 3 houses on the outskirts while still being somewhat careful, before I have to ditch that town an keep moving inland
Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Red zone is a random area that gets firebombed. To discourage camping is my guess.

I wish the map stayed bigger for longer,
I wouldn't mind spending more time in a specific town going house to house for gear. It seems that even if I parachute somewhere in the middle, I still spend most of the game running for my life to stay in the play area. If I end up in a town I have time to hit 2 or 3 houses on the outskirts while still being somewhat careful, before I have to ditch that town an keep moving inland
Since Custom Games are coming, I would guess the radius timer can be controlled. Not to mention the game is going to have massive modding support, so I'm sure this will be something modded too (likely, a no BlueZone game for an ongoing, DayZ-esque mode).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else have issues getting the credits (or bp points) added after each game last night? Played 6 games and none of the credits got added. Which sucks as I finished 2nd in one game last night. Would have had enough to get a crate. Support wasn't that helpful either.

But I did have fun with it. And lag was a lot better last night.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefan74 View Post
Anyone else have issues getting the credits (or bp points) added after each game last night? Played 6 games and none of the credits got added. Which sucks as I finished 2nd in one game last night. Would have had enough to get a crate. Support wasn't that helpful either.

But I did have fun with it. And lag was a lot better last night.
I've been getting credits without issue, but I'll tell you, ranking high (at least, above 25 but below 50) doesn't really get you much cash. I'm starting to see why some guys gamble at the beginning and crash busy/populated landing sites to try and snag 2 or 3 kills right off the bat, as murdering 3 guys, then getting murdered, and joining another game quick is a lot more worth your time than landing alone, building up gear, stealthing around, living til 35, and getting shot sneaking from one area to another and getting like 80 credits.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I've been getting credits without issue, but I'll tell you, ranking high (at least, above 25 but below 50) doesn't really get you much cash. I'm starting to see why some guys gamble at the beginning and crash busy/populated landing sites to try and snag 2 or 3 kills right off the bat, as murdering 3 guys, then getting murdered, and joining another game quick is a lot more worth your time than landing alone, building up gear, stealthing around, living til 35, and getting shot sneaking from one area to another and getting like 80 credits.
Yeah, it's like H1Z1 in that regard. Higher kill count is a better reward than high rank and low kill count. Most games I would eject at the beginning with most other players and it really was fun. 3 guys in the same house fighting over 1 gun while a 4th runs in and kills us all.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just played my best round yet. Made it to the last 10 and had 6 kills myself. Almost by dumb luck really, seemed to just stumble on people already engaged with someone else and could just sit back and pick them both off with a SCARL before they even knew someone else was around
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #20
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arrggh! Made it to the final two 1v1 at the end with nothing but a goddamn UMP and a 12 Gauge. Never stood a chance against an M16 Got 800 credits though.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: