Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #861
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering the rumour mill is saying the Pacers are trying to shed salary to try and sign Olynyk, I'd say he's far, far too expensive for the Raps.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #862
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Olynyk to the Heat for four years and $50 million+. Even decent bench players now cost $10 million+ a year. Just makes what the Thunder paid for PP look like a steal of a deal.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #863
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you thought Phil Jackson was the problem in New York, well the Knicks have offer sheeted Tim Hardaway Jr....for four years and $71 million. What a disaster of a franchise, why would Masai go within 1,000 yards of that tire fire?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #864
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that would probably be the largest overpayment of all time. Who are these idiots and how would such a controlling guy like Dolan, want to spend that money on a scrub?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #865
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@wojespn:
Sources with @WindhorstESPN: James Harden and Rockets are progressing toward deal on biggest contract extension in NBA history.

Houston has made extension official: Sources tell ESPN it will be worth $228M through the 2022-23 season. https://t.co/UZhYSo9ZHn

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #866
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

$45M/season? My gosh, that NBA cap has gotten ridiculous. Even if this is the new economic reality for the league, taking everything into account this off-season, is James Harden the guy to pay that much money to? I personally don't see him as a top 5 talent.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #867
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@wojespn:
Toronto has traded DeMarre Carroll, a future first-round and second-round pick to Brooklyn for Justin Hamilton, league sources tell ESPN.

For Toronto, this was a salary dump of the $30M owed Carroll across next two seasons. Both picks to Nets are 2018. https://t.co/AcK98wnLzp

Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #868
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ujiri's only true mistake since joining the Raps. I didn't realize it's only $15M/per season remaining. I don't know the implications of this, but I don't imagine losing the 1st is as big as it seems considering that pick should be in the 20 range this season. I know nothing of Justin Hamilton, so I'll reserve judgement on the player. What will the Raps do with the extra cap space will really judge if they're better or worse by this trade.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #869
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lottery protected first round and a second round pick, both in 2018, seems like a VERY steep price for the salary dump. I also don't know anything about Hamilton though.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #870
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see it as a high price at all. Of all major sports NBA 1st round picks are worth the least. Unless it's a top pick 5, the chances of that guy becoming a major contributor is small. In past years, Raps have drafted Bruno, Wright, Poetl, Siakm, Ross, JV, Davis. All have been ok or already disposed off.

Get rid of that awful contract and give time to Powell.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #871
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

wojespn:
Toronto is finalizing a sign-and-trade with Indiana to move Cory Joseph for CJ Miles, league sources tell ESPN.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #872
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swapping Carroll, Joseph and a first for Miles and a prospect is pretty steep, but Miles is a good three point shooter and they obviously need more of that. But Joseph was expendable with Wright and VanVleet capable of taking those minutes. Gotta think JV is next, but hopefully that doesn't happen till there's a good deal to be made.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #873
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Report: Raptors finalizing deal to send Joseph to Pacers for Miles (via http://thesco.re/theScore_App ) https://www.thescore.com/news/1331646
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #874
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bill Simmons @BillSimmons

Masai dumped Carroll and Joseph and a meaningless 1st/2nd for CJ Miles + a huge trade exception and got under the tax -- MASAI IS A JEDI
Zach lowe liked it too
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #875
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

IS this really that good for the Raps? When I look at last year compared with this upcoming year, there is no doubt that last years' roster was better. The offseason is not done yet, but what could a MLE get us to fill out the roster? I liked Joseph a lot as a backup and I'm not sure the rookies can fill in when Lowry's injured (and he will get injured). I 100% trust Masai, probably more than anyone here, but again, I don't see how this years' roster is better than last years' so far.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #876
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
IS this really that good for the Raps? When I look at last year compared with this upcoming year, there is no doubt that last years' roster was better. The offseason is not done yet, but what could a MLE get us to fill out the roster? I liked Joseph a lot as a backup and I'm not sure the rookies can fill in when Lowry's injured (and he will get injured). I 100% trust Masai, probably more than anyone here, but again, I don't see how this years' roster is better than last years' so far.
The team for the last few years has been Lowry and DD plus filler. Two,players and role players. Now with Ibaka for a full year it's three players and filler. So they are already a notch better as far as starters go as they will have training camp etc to get used to playing together. So can they add the missing pieces to the puzzle which is a 3 pt shooter(Miles) and then with the exception grab a stretch four. They just need to keep defenses honest and they will score. Question is can they play some defence. I very much doubt he is done shaping the roster. Bet two more changes are coming. One from the exception and another via trade.

Should at least have a different flavour even if the results aren't much different.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #877
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's miles better than what we started last year with, and Ujiri still has lots of flexibility for further moves either this summer or in-season. I wouldn't mind keeping the roster as-is for now and let the young guys get more experience.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #878
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bumped the Canadian Basketball thread, but the way things are set up they essentially have two years to go for it, then Lowry and Ibaka are on expiring deals and DeRozan has a good contract so you can easily trade them all and then get tanking. So it's a decent set up for the future, if DeMar could actually get himself to 38% from three they could be so much scarier as a matchup. Still not enough shooting from deep to compete with the Cavs, but we'll see what they can get for JV.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #879
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I have no doubt it's better than the start of last year, but I question their roster at the end of the year. They dealt Joseph from a position of perceived depth in PG, but I do think Miles will be simply a bench player. You're not getting an elite 3pt guy. They also don't have Tucker anymore. I'm still waiting on the other shoes to drop, like St. Pats said, but I really would not call this roster any better than the end of the season's roster, that's for sure.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #880
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another couple things of note

1) David Griffin withdraws from consideration for GM in NY. While I think they guy didn't prove anything (re: being a masterful GM), I can only guess he wanted control and got shot down. How long until NY calls for Masai?
2) That Hamilton guy will be waived by the Raps, putting them ~$2.5M under the tax.

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba