Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Virtual Reality Headsets

Looks like a bunch consumer versions will out later this year (within 6 months).

Figured we could use a separate thread as CES 2016 is nearly upon us.

The Oculus Rift will be up for pre-order in two days (no actual release date or price as of yet). HTC Vive should be out in April, no pricing confirmation. Playstation VR maybe in Q2 with no price as of yet.

I've had the chance to try all 3 and heaven help me I'll probably buy all 3 models. Will need to build me a new computer though; a GTX 970 has been declared a minimum for the Rift.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only one I'm interested in is Playstation VR (since I already have the device necessary to run it). I'd like to try it out first though -- a bit nervous it would give me motion sickness and I'd have flushed $300-400 down the drain.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Looks like a bunch consumer versions will out later this year (within 6 months).

Figured we could use a separate thread as CES 2016 is nearly upon us.

The Oculus Rift will be up for pre-order in two days (no actual release date or price as of yet). HTC Vive should be out in April, no pricing confirmation. Playstation VR maybe in Q2 with no price as of yet.

I've had the chance to try all 3 and heaven help me I'll probably buy all 3 models. Will need to build me a new computer though; a GTX 970 has been declared a minimum for the Rift.
Luckily AMD and Nvidia will be launching new cards this year on a 14nm finFET process, down from 23nm which they've been stuck at for about 5 years.

Estimates are you could see 50 to 100 percent improvements in GPU performance this year; the most in years.

I believe Nvidia's are due in late 1st quarter/early 2nd quarter and AMD's cards around the summer.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardw...cs-and-games-1

We compare the big three virtual reality headsets to see which is better than the rest
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm not sure I'd want a console one, high resolution and high frame rate seem pretty important to good VR and keeping the motion sickness away.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'm not sure I'd want a console one, high resolution and high frame rate seem pretty important to good VR and keeping the motion sickness away.
Right now the playstation vr has the highest frame rate
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Right now the playstation vr has the highest frame rate
It's capable of that high framerate, but what about in practice? As it is many games they have to drop the resolution and/or the framerate on the PS4 (or don't even try and are 1080p30), now they're going to double the framerate?

They'll look like this

Spoiler!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah... Playstation VR is not going to work out great IMO. The games will have to be so simplistic graphically to allow a 1080p resolution and a high frame rate.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've got the two developer versions of the Oculus, and I'm a believer.

I'll be pre-ordering the Rift on Wed. It's good for some thing, and not for others.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
Yeah... Playstation VR is not going to work out great IMO. The games will have to be so simplistic graphically to allow a 1080p resolution and a high frame rate.
We don't know what the final specs will be. The prototype is only 960×1080 per eye.

I can see Sony dropping the resolution further. A lot of the library doesn't even run 1080p anyway.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I'll be pre-ordering the Rift on Wed. It's good for some thing, and not for others.
Pr0n?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm very excited for all this stuff to finally come out. I tried the oculus on a computer that was considered "underpowered", and it was pretty bad. The experience was awesome, but when that nausea kicked in, boy howdy did it kick hard.

I believe in Playstation VR for 2 main reasons:
1) I own a PS4 so this would be the lowest cost of entry (and I'm totally biased)
2) There's been plenty of trials and demos at game shows and not many report motion sickness being the problem (if anything, it's that everything feels like/is a tech demo)

It's going to be a bumpy couple years like any console release, but I'm betting within 3 years these things are going to be mandatory for anybody who likes fun times.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It's going to be a bumpy couple years like any console release, but I'm betting within 3 years these things are going to be mandatory for anybody who likes fun times.
They said the same thing about 3DTV and about motion controls after the Wii blew Sony and Microsoft away.

VR is a gimmick. But hopefully a good one that provides another interesting avenue for gaming. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Oculus and Sony sets can do.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to hang back and let others take the beach. Figure this is probably a tech you don't want to be an early adopter. I assume Oculus will eventually prevail, but you never know.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For me, VR is a way to get more peripheral vision and immersive gaming without needing the deskspace for multiple monitors or build a overly big setup which I have no room for in my small condo. I haven't upgraded my gaming PC in 3-4 years in anticipation of this.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a skeptic. I know that many people have been raving about the experience of VR, but I still doubt there is a large market of people who want to sit around their house with a giant headset strapped to themselves. People don't even want to wear 3D glasses for movies. It also eliminates the social elements of gaming.

Perhaps when games get better and the units get to be smaller more like putting on a pair of glasses it will have a better shot. But from what I've seen so far, putting on a massive contraption to play some tech demos just doesn't seem that appealing.

Who knows though, maybe it will take the gaming world by storm.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I work on PS VR. I think you guys will be very happy with the product

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
I work on PS VR. I think you guys will be very happy with the product
I think you should send me one to test on behalf of the website. I will PM you the address.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
They said the same thing about 3DTV and about motion controls after the Wii blew Sony and Microsoft away.

VR is a gimmick. But hopefully a good one that provides another interesting avenue for gaming. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Oculus and Sony sets can do.
I would argue in your example "they" were the people developing the technology. 3D TV makers were saying it was all the rage and they were selling crazy, but I didn't know anybody who gave a damn and the wild sales were just a result that every new tv had it included.

Motion controls were cool, but at the end of the day they were just mapping buttons to waggle, which doesn't change anything.

With VR the hype is coming mainly from the gaming media that I follow. That for me is enough.

I'll likely go into this the way I do with new consoles. I expect to overpay a bit to have the experience early. It will likely be a let down, but by the time the proper experiences come, I don't anticipate being annoyed that I jumped in early.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oculus VR locked in! March it is!

EDIT:

$599 US ($900+ CDN with shipping!) If PS VR can keep prices low, they'll sell pretty well given the massive PS4 install base already.

Double EDIT:

Holy crap, they're charging 699 Euros!! for some countries before even shipping.

Last edited by chemgear; 01-06-2016 at 09:22 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: