Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Alberta Motor Vehicle fines

So I realized this morning, after I got to work, that my license expires on my birthday this year... oops, my birthday was on Saturday. So my colleague insisted that he drive me to the nearest registry because murphy's law says I would get pulled over. As luck would have it he got pulled over, because as we came to a stop at a red light, we stopped beside a cop. As we joked about my probability being pulled over my buddy realized that he forgot to put his seatbelt on... the cop noticed the seatbelt too and we were pulled over.

Anyways, we finally got to the registry and my license renewed. It didn't occur to me to ask until we got back to work. I tried searching but I'm not searching in the correct places. I want to find out what the fine is for driving with an expired license. Isn't there a website where I can lookup driving offenses and the fines to go along with it? I've found unofficial answers but want to peruse the official source.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm

Licence Suspensions
Persons convicted of violations under the Criminal Code of Canada, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act, or the Traffic Safety Act, involving the operation or control of a motor vehicle may be suspended or disqualified from driving in accordance with limits stated in the Traffic Safety Act.

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/acts/T06.cfm

Prohibition re driving while unauthorized
94(1) For the purposes of this section, a person is an unauthorized driver if
(a) that person’s operator’s licence is suspended or cancelled under this Act,
(b) that person is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle in Alberta,
(c) that person’s licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled, or
(d) that person’s privilege to secure a licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled.
(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle on a highway at any time during which that person is an unauthorized driver.
RSA 2000 cT‑6 s94;2003 c42 s15
Punishment re driving while disqualified

95(1) A person who is guilty of contravening section 94 is liable
(a) for a first offence to a fine of not more than $2000 and in default of payment to a term of imprisonment of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months, and
(b) for each subsequent offence committed within one year after the commission of the offence referred to in clause (a), to imprisonment for a term of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months.
(2) Subject to section 98, a person who is guilty of contravening section 94 is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle in Alberta for a period of 6 months from the day of the finding of guilt.

Last edited by troutman; 10-20-2008 at 10:25 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, Troutman. I finally found that same link and was going to post it but you beat me to the punch.

I see the fine is not more than $2000, so I'm guessing that the fine is determined in court? Do you know what the average fine is?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Thanks, Troutman. I finally found that same link and was going to post it but you beat me to the punch.

I see the fine is not more than $2000, so I'm guessing that the fine is determined in court? Do you know what the average fine is?
1 day expired and on your way to renew it, i would wager that they would be pretty lienient.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would assume so. My friend got pulled over for speeding, failure to signal, failure to yield the right of way, he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. To top it off, he forgot to renew his insurance or registration (can't remember which) and since it was only a week since expiry the cop was nice and said he'll let everything go but the insurance/registration thing and he would scrap the ticket if he could bring in proof that he renewed it within 24 hours. So the cop was willing to be lenient... too bad that my friend forgot to rectify the situation by the end of the day.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So the cop was willing to be lenient... too bad that my friend forgot to rectify the situation by the end of the day.
Forgot? Does you friend often come to work sans pants as well? I'd think that'd be at the top of one's priorities myself...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Forgot? Does you friend often come to work sans pants as well? I'd think that'd be at the top of one's priorities myself...
He is easily distracted. I was talking to him online one evening before we had to go out to play hockey. He told me his gear was in his truck and he was about to head out the door. He no showed, and when I asked him about it the next day, he said he forgot. He was reading an article online and it got him to thinking of other things and before he knew it, it was time to go to bed. When he got to his truck the next day he saw his hockey gear and remembered that he forgot.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I think if you were to get pulled over and its only a day or 2 past expiry and on your way to renew it, the cop would let you go with a warning to get it done earlier next time. Unless he/she is a raging ######bag that is
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your friend is playing with fire.

Driving without insurance is considered a felony and therefore goes on your criminal record.

It holds a minimum of $2600 fine and if he doesn't pay then minimum of 45 days in jail.

Quote:
54(1) Except as otherwise permitted under this Act, a person shall not do any of the following:

(a) drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless the motor vehicle is an insured motor vehicle;
(b) have a motor vehicle on a highway unless the motor vehicle is an insured motor vehicle;
(c) where a person is the registered owner of a motor vehicle, permit another person
(i) to drive the motor vehicle on a highway, or
(ii) to have the motor vehicle on a highway, unless the motor vehicle is an insured motor vehicle;
(d) give or lend a financial responsibility card or a copy of it to a person not entitled to have that financial responsibility card or copy.

(4) A person, other than a corporation, who contravenes subsection (1) or section 52(1)(h) or 167(8) is liable,

(a) for the first contravention, to a fine of not less than $2600 and not more than $10 000 and in default of payment to imprisonment for a term of not less than 45 days and not more than 6 months.
I hope the police are in a good mood, for his sake.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post

Driving without insurance is considered a felony and therefore goes on your criminal record.

It holds a minimum of $2600 fine and if he doesn't pay then minimum of 45 days in jail.

Must've been registration because the fine wasn't that much, but it was quite hefty. I want to say $1200 or thereabouts. It happened nearly 5 years ago. He had gone through a lenghty rough spell where he couldn't buy a break if he tried (or remembered to try), or in this case, he would screw up if he got a break.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Typical overzealous douchbaggy cop, eh Tron?
PULL OUT THE PEPPER SPRAY!!
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyway out of a stupid seatbelt fine? I got one in the backseat at a checkstop in downtown Canmore on Thanksgiving Day this year. Thought the cop might give me a warning, but he stated "just doing my job, sir.". I gave him the death stare...lol...and managed to keep my mouth shut, but was really pissed off!

Feel like going to court just to have my say...lol...

Any ideas on getting off with it. It's not the $$$, but the principle.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ really? and what principle would that be?
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the worst city in Canada so far for tickets. So far I've seen them hiding at bus stops, behind signs, often see pullovers in ghost cars, people getting tickets for seat belts, cracked windshields, passing on the right, J walking, waiting at the dog park, even a couple girls getting tickets for no life jackets while tubing down the bow. To top it all off I rarely ever hear of leniency.

One girl I talked to that just moved from Edmonton to Calgary says she had 2 tickets in Edmonton in her life here after 2 months she already has 4. A couple more years and we should have to most law abiding citizens in the world. Then again I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited by stampsx2; 12-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
This is the worst city in Canada so far for tickets. So far I've seen them hiding at bus stops, behind signs, often see pullovers in ghost cars, people getting tickets for seat belts, cracked windshields, passing on the right, J walking, waiting at the dog park, even a couple girls getting tickets for no life jackets while tubing down the bow. To top it all off I rarely ever hear of leniency.

One girl I talked to that just moved from Edmonton to Calgary says she had 2 tickets in Edmonton in her life here after 2 months she already has 4. A couple more years and we should have to most law abiding citizens in the world. Then again I guess that's a good thing.
Weird, I've never received a ticket in Calgary. Hiding behind bus stops, signs, ghost cars, tickets for seat belts, passing on right, j walking ALL happen elsewhere too... You think it just happens here?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post

Oddly enough, I haven't seen many cops here in Edmonton... but when I do, they're tricky little things. That said, it FEELS like there's a lot more cops in Calgary than Edmonton.

Also on a unrelated note, who is that hotty in your picture BlackArcher?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A couple years back I got a speeding ticket in an area which is a speed trap. Heading east on 16th Ave NE towards Deerfoot. It slows to 60 km before you get to the intersection. Going down hill and heading towards a major road and the speed limit drops. s.

Anyway, I have forgotten to renew my registration and I did not have my updated piece of paper for my insurance. I pay monthly so the insurance I knew was okay.

A long story short. He gave me a $150 fine for the speeding. He gave me a $150 fine for not being registered. He did not give me a further $150 ticket for not having my updated insurance with me.

So I said. "I will go directly to the registration place to get my vehicle registration renewed". He said. "Well, you can do that but what happens if you get pulled over again? That would be your second driving a vehicle with no registration which would mean your vehicle will be impounded." He gave me that superior look as I said well I guess I will call a friend to come pick me up. He said. "Good answer' and walked away.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post

Ok, first of all there is no such thing as a felony in Canada. If you were to equate a felony (which is typically an American term) it would equate to an Indictable offence. The only Indictable offences in Canada would be offences issued by an Act of Parliament, thus, the criminal realm.

The requirement for insurance is within provincial jurisdiction and thus any law that the province creates is a maximum summary conviction offence. Driving without insurance is NOT a criminal offence, it does not go on your criminal record.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jolinar of malkshor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm

Licence Suspensions
Persons convicted of violations under the Criminal Code of Canada, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act, or the Traffic Safety Act, involving the operation or control of a motor vehicle may be suspended or disqualified from driving in accordance with limits stated in the Traffic Safety Act.

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/acts/T06.cfm

Prohibition re driving while unauthorized
94(1) For the purposes of this section, a person is an unauthorized driver if
(a) that person’s operator’s licence is suspended or cancelled under this Act,
(b) that person is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle in Alberta,
(c) that person’s licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled, or
(d) that person’s privilege to secure a licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled.
(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle on a highway at any time during which that person is an unauthorized driver.
RSA 2000 cT‑6 s94;2003 c42 s15
Punishment re driving while disqualified

95(1) A person who is guilty of contravening section 94 is liable
(a) for a first offence to a fine of not more than $2000 and in default of payment to a term of imprisonment of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months, and
(b) for each subsequent offence committed within one year after the commission of the offence referred to in clause (a), to imprisonment for a term of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months.
(2) Subject to section 98, a person who is guilty of contravening section 94 is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle in Alberta for a period of 6 months from the day of the finding of guilt.
Wrong section Trout.

The section you quote is for suspended drivers only. The wording gets a little funky as it tries to cover a bunch of different "suspensions"- unauthorzied, disqualified, canceled.

The correct section from the Traffic Safety Act is:

Operators licences
51 Except as otherwise permitted under this Act, a person shall not do any of the following:
(a) drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless that person is the holder of a subsisting operator’s licence;

IIRC, the fine is $230.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
^ really? and what principle would that be?
And here.....we......go!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote