Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Road to the playoffs (schedules)

If we look at the rest of the season, there's really a 5 team race for positioning playoffs. Who has the tougher schedule who will come out on top, predictions are welcome.

First of all the teams in question

Anaheim - 69 games played, 82 points, 33 Row 2nd in the Pacific

Blue's, Sabres, @ Sharks, Oilers, Jets, Ranger, @ Canucks, @ Jets, @ Oilers, @Flames, Flames, Blackhawks. LA.

Not a schedule that screams easy. outside of the Sabers and Canucks, there's not a lot of weak sister matchups for Anaheim. 5 road 8 home

Calgary Flames - 68 games played, 80 points, 35 ROW, 3rd in the Pacific

Penguins, Bruins, Stars, Kings, @Caps, @Nash, @STL, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @Ana, @LA, @SJ

A brutal schedule with only two games that could be considered close to Gimmie(Col, Stars). That Eastern Road swing could be crucial. 6 Road, 8 home.

Edmonton 68 games played 79 points, 31 ROW, 1st wildcard

Dal, Bos, Van, LA, @Ana, @LA, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @LA,@SJ, @ Van, Van

It does on paper look like a easier schedule then most. In terms of gimme games you have to look at the three against Vancouver and the games against Dal and Col as must win games. The three games will go a long way to deciding edmonton's fate. However things could be a lot clearer as soon as tomorrow night as LA has games against St Louis and Ari, and Edmonton plays Dallas. The gap between LA and Edmonton could go as small as 3 points and as large as 9 points with an even number of games played. 9 home 5 road.

St Louis 67 games, 75 points, 34 ROW, 2d wildcard

@ LA, @ Ana, @ SJ, @Ari, @Col, Van, Cal, Ari, @Ari, @Col, Nsh, Win, @Flo, @Car, Col

This schedule is a dogs breakfeast. However they do have 7 games that could be considered to be gimmies. But they have a brutal next 3 games before their schedule eases up. 9 Road, 6 gime

LA Kings - 67 games, 72 points, 31 ROW, Outside looking in

Stl, Ari, Buff, @Cal, @Edm, Wpg, Nyr, @Edm, @Cal, @Van, Ari, Edm, Cal, Chi, @Ana

Not an easy schedule with two back to backs through Calgary and Edmonton. But for a team in their position, I would think that this is the best schedule for them with three games against the Oilers and 3 against the Flames. There are 4 games that could be considered gimmies. 9 home 6 road.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure if we need another new thread on this, but I really liked the below graphic from the playoff positivity thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flame View Post
Saw this on Twitter. Posted by @Ech28.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the interesting things is the number of games between the contending teams there are. By my count 33 games in which teams will be taking points away from those contending for the playoffs. A team could be winning one game that helps the others.

Anaheim (6) - STL, Sabres, @SJ, EDM, Jets, NYR, @VAN, @WPG, @EDM, @CGY, CGY, CHI, LA.

Calgary (7) - PITT, BOS, DAL, LA, @WSH, @NSH, @STL, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @Ana, @LA, @SJ

Edmonton (6) - DAL, BOS, VAN, LA, @Ana, @LA, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @LA,@SJ, @ Van, Van

LA (8) - STL, ARI, BUF, @CGY, @EDM, WPG, NYR, @EDM, @CAL, @VAN, ARI, EDM, CGY, CHI, @ANA

Nashville (2) - WPG, @WSH, @CAR, ARI, CGY, SJ, @NYI, @BOS, TOR, MIN, @STL, NYI, @DAL, @WPG

St Louis (4) - @LA, @ANA, @ SJ, @ARI, @COL, VAN, CGY, ARI, @ARI, @COL, Nsh, WPG, @FLA, @CAR, COL
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calgary does have a tough schedule, but it won't matter as we roll to finish the season with 23-straight wins!
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

On paper it looks tough for some, easier for others. In reality (as the season draws to a close), teams play spoiler, rest star players if they've clinched a spot already, start their backups etc.

Games that look super important now could be ultimately meaningless outside of playoff positioning.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point with where this team is at. PIT, WSH, and SJS are the only teams I am worried about.

Really, there are only like 5 teams that I even consider easy. Arizona, Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey, Carolina, and maybe Vancouver. The other 20 teams are all tough.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol, man did the NHL go out of their way to make things easy mode for the Oilers. 9h/5a left and five games against Vancouver and Colorado. Good way to end when you already have by far the easiest overall schedule in the league.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver has done more to help us lately than Washington...you can bet your ass they are excited about playing the Oilers 3 times
Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol, man did the NHL go out of their way to make things easy mode for the Oilers. 9h/5a left and five games against Vancouver and Colorado. Good way to end when you already have by far the easiest overall schedule in the league.
Making the schedule is probably the hardest job in sports. I doubt the league decided to go out of their way to help them
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
On paper it looks tough for some, easier for others. In reality (as the season draws to a close), teams play spoiler, rest star players if they've clinched a spot already, start their backups etc.

Games that look super important now could be ultimately meaningless outside of playoff positioning.
I absolutely agree with this. If anything, the most difficult games at this time of year are with teams that are in the hunt (or at the verge of being eliminated), those that have a vested interest in playoff seeding and those that play spoiler.

In 2015, it is often forgotten that the Oilers beat LA the night before we eliminated them. With the Oilers beating LA, we could have lost to LA and beat Winnipeg to still make it into the playoffs. There are countless examples of this throughout history. I suspect that once Colorado is guaranteed the last spot, we may see a small run from them also.

If the Oilers don't come out hard and put games away early against the Canucks, these games could easily go the wrong way for them. What better way for the Canucks to finish the season than to single handedly eliminate (or ruin a playoff position) for the Oilers. Especially after the Oilers did the same to the Canucks during the late 2000s.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Making the schedule is probably the hardest job in sports. I doubt the league decided to go out of their way to help them
Pretty sure they just set the parameters and let a computer model do it's thing.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not really aptly named but:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...31#post6165431
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames finish a day earlier than most of the other contenders. Final playoff positions may not become clear until the last day of the season. And for the back to back conspirists, Flames get both San Jose and Anaheim on the second night of back to backs after being in Edmonton the night before.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Flames finish a day earlier than most of the other contenders. Final playoff positions may not become clear until the last day of the season. And for the back to back conspirists, Flames get both San Jose and Anaheim on the second night of back to backs after being in Edmonton the night before.
Nice to see that switch. Wonder if they'll lay down for Edmonton like they have all year for us?
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
LA as well, its 3 straight games with LA, Anaheim and San Jose who go to Edm and then Calgary the next night. Those three games will be huge I imagine as we will have to take advantage of a tired team with the flames being off the night before. I can only imagine the level of whining we are going to hear about the schedule being in favour of the flames with the blinders that oilers fans continually wear regarding their own easy schedule
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
One of the interesting things is the number of games between the contending teams there are. By my count 33 games in which teams will be taking points away from those contending for the playoffs. A team could be winning one game that helps the others.

Anaheim (6) - STL, Sabres, @SJ, EDM, Jets, NYR, @VAN, @WPG, @EDM, @CGY, CGY, CHI, LA.

Calgary (7) - PITT, BOS, DAL, LA, @WSH, @NSH, @STL, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @Ana, @LA, @SJ

Edmonton (6) - DAL, BOS, VAN, LA, @Ana, @LA, Col, LA, SJ, Ana, @LA,@SJ, @ Van, Van

LA (8) - STL, ARI, BUF, @CGY, @EDM, WPG, NYR, @EDM, @CAL, @VAN, ARI, EDM, CGY, CHI, @ANA

Nashville (2) - WPG, @WSH, @CAR, ARI, CGY, SJ, @NYI, @BOS, TOR, MIN, @STL, NYI, @DAL, @WPG

St Louis (4) - @LA, @ANA, @ SJ, @ARI, @COL, VAN, CGY, ARI, @ARI, @COL, Nsh, WPG, @FLA, @CAR, COL
I mentioned this in another thread that the Sharks are a factor in this for the Pacific Division race. Those games are in bold.

SJS (5) - BUF, STL, ANA, @DAL, @MIN, @DAL, @NAS, NYR, @EDM, @ CGY, @VAN, VAN, EDM, CGY

CaptainCrunch has good commentary for each team's remaining schedule. The Sharks have three more back to back game sets and just finished another of those this past weekend. The four game road trip has two games against the Stars which could make it easier. The games against the other Central Division teams will be difficult as those teams are battling out too. The Canucks will be decent spoilers.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Pretty sure they just set the parameters and let a computer model do it's thing.
From everything I've ever heard, the schedule is still done by hand. There are so many restrictions that it's pretty much impossible to design an adequate algorithm for the job.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #18
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I am not sure if we need another new thread on this
We need at least 7 more
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
From everything I've ever heard, the schedule is still done by hand. There are so many restrictions that it's pretty much impossible to design an adequate algorithm for the job.
If its anything like the NFL they use a computer to spit out about 500 schedules and people go through them to pick the one they deem best.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings took a pretty good hit last night with their loss to St. Louis. Flames climbed slightly ahead of Oilers now in playoff chances but both teams increased their odds with the LA loss.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote