Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I assume Lawn Darts with actual points were mentioned on page one. We would even sharpen ours as the points would dull. We used to toss them straight up and see who could stand still the longest.

We also played Murderball in gym. The teachers even called it that.

I worked at Safeway in the late 80s and one of the older cashiers got on the intercom one day and asked for a price check on Brazil nuts. The problem was she didn't say Brazil nuts, she used the other, non PC version "____ Toes". The entire store stopped for a few seconds and you could almost hear everyone thinking "she said what?!?!" Lucky for her there was a union.
Our teachers not only called it murderball, but they participated. We had one teacher in Junior High, and he had the science of murder ball down. You'd see him rear back and then fire that ball, and it would literally vanish, then you'd hear the sound barrier break. And then the ball would materialize 3 inches in front of your face like it dropped out of hyperspace before smashing your nose clean through the back of your skill, while your body went thought a 360 degree spin in the air in slow motion while you cried out "Nooooooooo" in slow sound and your ear picked up every single girl that you had a crush on giggling, while all of your clothing materialized in orbit around mars.

then you woke up in the nurses office and learned that having your nose super accelerated through your skull isn't enough of an excuse to miss your math exam that you now had to write with more bandages on your face then the mommy

The lesson of this story kiddies

F%%% Gym class on rainy days.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #222
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Our teachers not only called it murderball, but they participated. We had one teacher in Junior High, and he had the science of murder ball down. You'd see him rear back and then fire that ball, and it would literally vanish, then you'd hear the sound barrier break. And then the ball would materialize 3 inches in front of your face like it dropped out of hyperspace before smashing your nose clean through the back of your skill, while your body went thought a 360 degree spin in the air in slow motion while you cried out "Nooooooooo" in slow sound and your ear picked up every single girl that you had a crush on giggling, while all of your clothing materialized in orbit around mars.

then you woke up in the nurses office and learned that having your nose super accelerated through your skull isn't enough of an excuse to miss your math exam that you now had to write with more bandages on your face then the mommy

The lesson of this story kiddies

F%%% Gym class on rainy days.
Has anything in your life ever gone right?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's clearly been hit hard enough to eliminate all knowledge of spelling.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #224
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I wish millennials would stop forcing their kids into liking things they liked as kids. When little snotty Johnny and smelly Sally find Star Wars on their own they'll probably love it.
I convinced my daughter to watch Ducktales as a cartoon and she loves it. Now we can both enjoy the adventures together. Much better than having to watch Caillou or some other junky TV show
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #225
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
I remember the strap when I was in Junior High School...I never got it but a couple of my friends did.

I come from rural Alberta, our school used to run "slave days" as a fundraiser for trips etc. where kids from the school would go out and do manual labour in the community and the people they worked for would give the school money. Without fail the boys would always get stuck picking rocks for some farmer for the day.

In the winter we used to always wax up an old car hood, I believe it was a buick, and pull it behind a snowmobile. Was a blast actually, you could fit 4 people easy on the hood and the ole Arctic Cat Panther had plenty of power to pull them all....
Back home in the cub scouts, we had a thing called "A bob a job" (a bob being old British slang for five pence, though by this time, the payment amount was usually a pound) where we went on our own knocking on doors to stranger's houses to ask if they needed chores performed for them. I can't imagine this happening today at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Given the fact corporal punishment is still the norm among most immigrant groups to Canada, I guess we'll find out if it results in a generation of monsters. I doubt it.
Is the argument that it turns kids into monsters? It seems moreso to me that it's just a ####ty thing to do to kids. I was on the receiving end many times as a child, and like 4x4 mentioned, I cannot imagine intentionally hurting my son like that. I'd feel like the monster.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #226
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Imagine if he wrote a book on his life experiences. It would be a best seller
Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #227
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe Thrills gum was around for so long, just the worst gum ever made. I would be better off eating a bar of Irish Spring.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #228
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I can't believe Thrills gum was around for so long, just the worst gum ever made. I would be better off eating a bar of Irish Spring.
I actually just had some the other day! I love it.

Also the best variation of "Red Ass"

Quote:
In the "Blue Gooch" variation of the game, the player who is "out" must keep their legs apart, so the thrower has a chance at shooting them in the perineum.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #229
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish millennials would stop forcing their kids into liking things they liked as kids.
I do too.

Of course, putting an old movie on for your kids doesn't necessarily constitute 'forcing them into liking' something. It's the parents (who are we kidding - dads) who use their kids as an excuse to spend $400 a year on Star Wars lego and figurines, or dress their kids up as their favourite Marvel character for Halloween every year, who might want to take a step back. And for the record, my kids actually liked Star Wars. Zulu (1964), on the other hand...

But that's another angle to this - I loved Zulu, even though it was already 15 years old before I saw it on TV for the first time, and hardly a kid's movie. Most of the movies I watched when I was a kid were 10-25 years old, including loads of old war movies and westerns. Parental geek obsessions aside, I don't think kids today are exposed to nearly as many older movies, which seems like a needless limitation. I made a point of watching the old Alastair Sim version of a Christmas Carol with the kids this year - not because I wanted them to love something I loved, but to expose them to a style of film they won't come across if they restrict themselves to contemporary movies.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #230
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I do too.

Of course, putting an old movie on for your kids doesn't necessarily constitute 'forcing them into liking' something. It's the parents (who are we kidding - dads) who use their kids as an excuse to spend $400 a year on Star Wars lego and figurines, or dress their kids up as their favourite Marvel character for Halloween every year, who might want to take a step back. And for the record, my kids actually liked Star Wars. Zulu (1964), on the other hand...

But that's another angle to this - I loved Zulu, even though it was already 15 years old before I saw it on TV for the first time, and hardly a kid's movie. Most of the movies I watched when I was a kid were 10-25 years old, including loads of old war movies and westerns. Parental geek obsessions aside, I don't think kids today are exposed to nearly as many older movies, which seems like a needless limitation. I made a point of watching the old Alastair Sim version of a Christmas Carol with the kids this year - not because I wanted them to love something I loved, but to expose them to a style of film they won't come across if they restrict themselves to contemporary movies.
Isn't exposing them to the classics of our youth the same thing. So Alien, Star Wars, etc. These were the westerns and war movies of our day.

I think current kids love Star Wars because it's very Disney like. Heros fighting against evil to live happily ever after.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #231
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Imagine if he wrote a book on his life experiences. It would be a best seller
I highly doubt that.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
V
Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #232
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #233
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
His love of hyperbole makes up for it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #234
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:

In the winter we used to always wax up an old car hood, I believe it was a buick, and pull it behind a snowmobile. Was a blast actually, you could fit 4 people easy on the hood and the ole Arctic Cat Panther had plenty of power to pull them all....
Yup - we did this as well. Small city Alberta

I just told my wife about the wall ball game as I never heard of it - she immediately said "Oh Red Ass, yeah we played that" She is from Ontario.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #235
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
In my youth we'd grab onto the bumpers of cars and buses and slide behind on our boots
Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
His love of hyperbole makes up for it.
I think I've been triply insulted.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #237
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Things you can't believe used to be allowed/exist

Quote:
I wish millennials would stop forcing their kids into liking things they liked as kids. When little snotty Johnny and smelly Sally find Star Wars on their own they'll probably love it.

Millennials have kids already? Christ, they are starting early. I don't even know what they liked as kids? Dora and Hannah Montana, probably not Star Wars.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #238
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think I've been triply insulted.
Technically mine was not an insult, merely a statement of fact.

'The mommy?' Come on!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #239
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's still a thing, licking envelopes. You literally take your spit, apply it to a sharp paper edge with a dried glue, slobber/moterboat all over that tab, smack it together and send that to someone.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #240
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
It still is around and still tastes like soap.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote