Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #2601
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Thank god. At least now it'll be playable. I wonder if they'll let me exchange my PS3 copy for a discount.
Heh, maybe I've spent too much time with the unwashed masses and their dirty cheap consoles but I really enjoyed The Last of Us on the PS3. Gameplay, visuals, and story all hit a real high point for me in my gaming experience.

It is certainly going to be a double dip for me if/when it hits PS4.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #2602
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Heh, maybe I've spent too much time with the unwashed masses and their dirty cheap consoles but I really enjoyed The Last of Us on the PS3. Gameplay, visuals, and story all hit a real high point for me in my gaming experience.

It is certainly going to be a double dip for me if/when it hits PS4.
I know I've beat this particular horse to death around here, but the gameplay and story I found to be quite good. But #### some of the texture work combined with the 720p jaggies were intolerable.

To me.

Either way, a 1080p upscale, a 2x/4x AA pass, and some sharper texture work (hell, the geometry was actually pretty good) will make it infinitely more playable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #2603
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
To me.
Fair enough!

EDIT: Actually, it is also probably why Fez is so great on the PS4 to me. Much smoother and sharper than it ever was on the 360. The cross buy and cross save across PS3, PS4 and Vita is a bonus. On top of the discounted price (along with PS+) this week too.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #2604
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was planning on originally getting a PS4 as my company have me the option to get one as an X-mas bonus. Sadly, they haven't been able to get any in as they expected. Instead I'm taking a $500.00 gift card to Costco.

My question to you all is, should I wait and try to get the PS4 or buy the Xbox One? I'm usually a Battlefield and NHL kind of gamer when it comes to console. I simply can't make up my mind and need someone to do it for me. The extra money for the Xbox doesn't really phase me, as the availability appeals to me more, but saving money is nice. I also haven't read too much into the whole "always online" thing, but online connectivity is not an issue for me. I should note that I owned a 360 and a regular Xbox previously, so I may be a little bit more inclined to go Microsoft over Sony. A few of my friends are getting PS4s as well.

Help me decide CP. I can not make this choice alone.

(Also, if anyone knows where I can get a PS4 fairly soon and for a good price, it may help sway my opinion.)
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #2605
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Walmart says they have stock both online and in some stores in Calgary

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playstat.../6000107996905
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #2606
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Walmart says they have stock both online and in some stores in Calgary

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/playstat.../6000107996905
I just got one for myself and one for my buddy at the 37st SW Walmart - they still have a couple more there too.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #2607
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
On Thursday deerfoot meadows best buy and future shop had over 10.

I think its safe to say that "magically" Sony has more stock and it probably has nothing to do with the fact stock started appearing after the price hike.

I went PS4 strictly because of remote play. Playing battlefield at work or in the road is a pretty nice feature lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #2608
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I went PS4 strictly because of remote play. Playing battlefield at work or in the road is a pretty nice feature lol.
Still waiting for "that game" before I pick up my PS4, but how well does remote play work for something that requires as tight timing as a FPS? I can't really say I dabbled enough with it even on the PS3 to really form a positive or negative opinion.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #2609
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposedly the strike in Vancouver which was responsible for the intake of PS4 was over in the last couple days.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #2610
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I was planning on originally getting a PS4 as my company have me the option to get one as an X-mas bonus. Sadly, they haven't been able to get any in as they expected. Instead I'm taking a $500.00 gift card to Costco.

My question to you all is, should I wait and try to get the PS4 or buy the Xbox One? I'm usually a Battlefield and NHL kind of gamer when it comes to console. I simply can't make up my mind and need someone to do it for me. The extra money for the Xbox doesn't really phase me, as the availability appeals to me more, but saving money is nice. I also haven't read too much into the whole "always online" thing, but online connectivity is not an issue for me. I should note that I owned a 360 and a regular Xbox previously, so I may be a little bit more inclined to go Microsoft over Sony. A few of my friends are getting PS4s as well.

Help me decide CP. I can not make this choice alone.

(Also, if anyone knows where I can get a PS4 fairly soon and for a good price, it may help sway my opinion.)
PS4's are out there now, just keep checking best buy, futureshop and amazon websites.

As for the decision, I had a really tough time deciding too. Decided to go Xbox because the overall media functionality appealed more to me. I run my TV through the unit and now all my gaming, netflix, youtube, and live TV needs are accessible in the same place. Its quite convenient. Just like you, the Xbox and Xbox 360 always appealed to me slightly more than the PS counterparts (although I did own PS2 and PS3 as well).

As for price, PS4 has now gone up to $449 with no games or camera, and the Xbox one is $499 with Titanfall and kinect. I don't see the PS4 as a whole lot cheaper for what you get anymore.

One other thing that pushed me a little more towards Xbox One was the fact that the controllers run on AA batteries (yes, I see that as a positive) and last a long time on those batteries, while the PS4 Controllers have internal batteries that apparently don't last very long. I find it nicer to just switch out AA batteries and never have to have a wire going to my console while I'm playing.

Of course there are those that trumpet the PS4's power and graphics advantage, I don't own one so I can't comment how significant the advantage is. In any of the comparison videos I've seen the games just look pretty close to the same to me.

I think it comes down to the minor preferences, as I said I was strongly considering PS4 but I'm not at all unhappy with my XB1 purchase. Also any exclusive games should play into your decision. For me if I can play NHL, FIFA and some other cool games on my system, I'm a happy camper.

Also: The always online thing isn't a thing anymore, the Xbox one reversed that policy before launch.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 03-28-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #2611
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 controllers don't have a wire either, but the battery life is noticeably lower than the PS3 controllers. An update to turn off the front glow bar is coming out soon which should have a positive impact on battery life though.

As far as what system, get the same one your buddies have if you like hockey. And if you don't play online then just get the one with the most exclusives that appeal to you.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #2612
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to play Madden on the 360 and was used to hundreds of players at any time looking for matches. It's surprising that there are times with Madden for PS4 that there are lots of times where there is <10 people looking for matches which means you usually end up playing an opponent that is at a far superior level.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #2613
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Still waiting for "that game" before I pick up my PS4, but how well does remote play work for something that requires as tight timing as a FPS? I can't really say I dabbled enough with it even on the PS3 to really form a positive or negative opinion.
Remote play works way better then I thought it would. The games I have played have remapped buttons as well to make the games play better. Battlefield is free of lag about 90% of the time. I tried playing this week from the hotel and on the hotel wifi and it wouldn't work, when tethered to my iphone it was flawless. The hotel wifi couldn't load gifs so it didn't surprise me.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #2614
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Can you do remote play away from home? I thought you had to be within 30ft or so?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #2615
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Can you do remote play away from home? I thought you had to be within 30ft or so?
Can run it on the other side of the globe if you want. It's neat to game on your PS4 that way.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #2616
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^
On Thursday deerfoot meadows best buy and future shop had over 10.

I think its safe to say that "magically" Sony has more stock and it probably has nothing to do with the fact stock started appearing after the price hike.

Price hike for one and they are able to release stock they were holding back for Japan because the units apparently stopped moving to expectations in Japan after week one.

Though, in these parts I've seen them very regularly in stores since launch.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #2617
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Kinect is coming to the master race

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...ect-pc/#!BU04o

Should be cool Im using my original Kinect to develop apps and programs right know
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #2618
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

PS4 is more powerful. The end
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #2619
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought a PS4 what game(s) should I get?

Metal Gear Solid?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #2620
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
I just bought a PS4 what game(s) should I get?

Metal Gear Solid?
Infamous Second Son. Great game!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: