Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Battlefield - Bad Company

Anyone else downloaded the demo off Xbox live?? I did last week and I can't stop playing it. Definately one of the best fps games I've ever played..
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Anyone else downloaded the demo off Xbox live?? I did last week and I can't stop playing it. Definately one of the best fps games I've ever played..
FPS = PC for me, any demo out there for PC users?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
FPS = PC for me, any demo out there for PC users?
Sadly no PC version to speak of.. I'm a big counter-strike junky so it pains me to use the crappy xbox controller rather than keyboard and mouse..
Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sadly no PC version to speak of.. I'm a big counter-strike junky so it pains me to use the crappy xbox controller rather than keyboard and mouse..
I just don't see how it can be done. I used to be a major CS junkie myself (COD4 & HL2 is my current junk) and dont get how people can use a console control to play such games. I guess it's all in what you are used to.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I just don't see how it can be done. I used to be a major CS junkie myself (COD4 & HL2 is my current junk) and dont get how people can use a console control to play such games. I guess it's all in what you are used to.
Its my biggest complaint with console games.. The aiming is just horrible..
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Strange that this one isn't getting a PC version (if Wikipedia can be believed). I thought EA was all about exploiting their properties.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its my biggest complaint with console games.. The aiming is just horrible..
mmhmm, I remember reading in PC gamer a while back there was a bunch of xbox fanbois that said they could school any PC player in a FPS. They took on a bunch of staffers from PC Gamer and got absolutely slaughtered.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
mmhmm, I remember reading in PC gamer a while back there was a bunch of xbox fanbois that said they could school any PC player in a FPS. They took on a bunch of staffers from PC Gamer and got absolutely slaughtered.
I don't doubt it, you just can match the precision of a mouse/keyboard with any type of console controller (insert auto aim disclaimer but I find auto aim weak).

FPS, RTS, MMORPG = PC
Sports, Racing, Fighting = Console
Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i'm more looking forward to Battlefield Heroes for the PC. looks like a mix of two of my favorite games, BF1942 and TF2, and it's free to play.

this video looks awesome
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use to be in the FPS = PC camp, but after playing on the Xbox for alittle while, I can honestly say, you get use to aiming with your thumb. Playing COD4, there isn't any auto aiming, but you get the hang of it. PC still has the edge with the mouse, but it isn't really that far apart in terms of accuracy.
Granted, I'm weird, and I can only play with invert look....
Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoy View Post
I use to be in the FPS = PC camp, but after playing on the Xbox for alittle while, I can honestly say, you get use to aiming with your thumb. Playing COD4, there isn't any auto aiming, but you get the hang of it. PC still has the edge with the mouse, but it isn't really that far apart in terms of accuracy.
Granted, I'm weird, and I can only play with invert look....
I am more weird, I play with normal look with a mouse and inverted with the dual analog thumbsticks. I don't argue that you can play a FPS on a console but a mouse and keyboard >>>>> controller.

BOOM HEADSHOT.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Strange that this one isn't getting a PC version (if Wikipedia can be believed). I thought EA was all about exploiting their properties.
Probably true, at least for now. They might do a port if the game makes enough $$$.

People in the industry are telling me that consoles are the way to go for making a quick buck. Seems there are just too many compatibility issues for PC versions of games (i.e. more permutations and combinations of software/hardware) to do on the cheap. They have to hire a whole slew of beat testers and troubleshooters and offer tech support and patches once the game is launched. Apparently it is much simpler in confining it to the consoles, which have fewer compatibility issues. Then if enough $$$ is made they can justify a port over to PC.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseFan View Post
Seems there are just too many compatibility issues for PC versions of games (i.e. more permutations and combinations of software/hardware) to do on the cheap. They have to hire a whole slew of beat testers and troubleshooters and offer tech support and patches once the game is launched. Apparently it is much simpler in confining it to the consoles, which have fewer compatibility issues. Then if enough $$$ is made they can justify a port over to PC.
Yeah, making PC games work on as many machines as possible is definitely a consideration, but I think considering EA's track record (which has actually been improving) I would have thought they would push out a PC version even if it was unpolished. My only reasoning for this is that even though it comes out for the consoles, it still gets created on a PC. Granted it isn't like they just push a "Compile for PC Button" and it magically works, but again, I've never put it past a massive publisher like EA to push out an unfinished product and patch the crap out of it later.

Hopefully a focus on the 360 and PS3 only will ensure that they come out with a better product than if they had diverted resources to make a PC version as well.

I downloaded the demo last night, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Might do that tonight.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

I've always wondered why Microsoft and Sony don't release mouse peripherals for their systems ... seems like a pretty elegant solution to this FPS: PC or XBox problem in my mind ...
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I've always wondered why Microsoft and Sony don't release mouse peripherals for their systems ... seems like a pretty elegant solution to this FPS: PC or XBox problem in my mind ...
Sony actually does support the use of any bluetooth compatible mouse/keyboard combo on the PS3, no 100% sure if it works in games as I've never tried it. However, you can pick something like the Frag FX pad for the PS3:

http://www.splitfish.com/page.cfm?pageid=15

One thing that might be stopping MS from making keyboard peripherals is to keep some fairness in the games. I seriously doubt it, since a mouse/keyboard would sell really well to people like me, but it's a thought.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Sony actually does support the use of any bluetooth compatible mouse/keyboard combo on the PS3, no 100% sure if it works in games as I've never tried it. However, you can pick something like the Frag FX pad for the PS3:

http://www.splitfish.com/page.cfm?pageid=15

One thing that might be stopping MS from making keyboard peripherals is to keep some fairness in the games. I seriously doubt it, since a mouse/keyboard would sell really well to people like me, but it's a thought.
It doesn't have to be bluetooth for KB and mouse to work on PS3. Any with a USB connection works on a PS3 via corded or cordless using a USB receiver. Games on the PS3 with a KB/mouse work if it's supported in the game. UT3 on PS3 has support for mouse/KB.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #17
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
It doesn't have to be bluetooth for KB and mouse to work on PS3. Any with a USB connection works on a PS3 via corded or cordless using a USB receiver. Games on the PS3 with a KB/mouse work if it's supported in the game. UT3 on PS3 has support for mouse/KB.
I totally forgot about the USB capability, sorry. Thanks for clearing that up.