Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #41
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Well, obviously 25% of 50 is less than 25% of 100... I'm saying the 25% itself should be lower.
Why? The whole purpose of using percentages is so that it taxes heavy users more and light users less. Essentially charging a bandwidth usage rate is the same as charging a percentage per gas litre rate.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Why? The whole purpose of using percentages is so that it taxes heavy users more and light users less. Essentially charging a bandwidth usage rate is the same as charging a percentage per gas litre rate.
Well no kidding...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #43
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... Sorry guys, but I don't see the point.

Bandwidth is a manufactured resource that is reliant solely on hardware infrastructure. Need more bandwidth? Install better/more hardware.

There's no such thing as finite bandwidth.

My parents live in BC, but own a house here in Calgary. They're in town maybe once every 6 months, but they pay the same level of property taxes everyone else does.

Would you like to pay higher taxes for your property just because you live there 24/7 while your neighbor's taxes are reduced because he's out of town all the time?

I use less gas in my car than a lot of other people. I know I already pay less because I have to buy less, but should the gas I do buy be subjected to a lesser tax? I think it should... I mean, afterall, I use less gas... why should I have to pay the same 1.30 that everyone else does? If you use 2 tanks of gas every week, and I use 1 tank every two weeks, I think you should pay more taxes than me, since you're burning it up faster than I am. Gas is actually a finite resource, too!
You're analogies aren't accurate. Whether my neighbour lives in his house or not has no affect on whether or not I can live in mine. The amount of gas you buy doesn't affect the amount I can buy (unless you buy all the gas the station has).

And I'm not even sure your gas analogy makes sense in the first place. You pay for the amount of gas you use, why not pay for the amount of bandwidth you use? It's not like you can pay a monthly fee to have all the gas you want. Then everyone would buy giant gas guzzlers that get 0.5 mpg and when I drove up in my car that got 1000 mpg there would be no gas left for me. That's a better analogy to what the internet is like now.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well no kidding...
Then what's your original point? Its not like the analogy you used was comparable in the first place...
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

It wasn't meant to be comparable.

Not everything is literal.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-19-2008 at 03:35 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote