Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #781
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

United up early, 1-0 on a deflected Pogba shot.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #782
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

My synopsis up to this 60'
* Rashford's being a lazy whiner
* Mhkitarian is being asked to defend alot; solid in attack
* Pogba & Herrera are sitting quite back, and it has United defending alot; clearly a Mourinho instruction
* Valencia is a bauss, our best player
* Fellaini has had a great game; defending, ball winning
* Darmian has been decent
* Romero has had great distribution; solid when asked
* Smalling & Blind, have been adequate
Old 05-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #783
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont even know what I want.

I'm hardwired to desire united to lose, but at the same time this is the best they could do after spending all that money last season.

It stands to reason that they're winning against a team that has nothing to play for but still, I'm conflicted.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #784
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

can't ask for much more so far. Valencia vs Younes is the biggest missmatch I have seen in a very long time.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #785
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, get Mhykitarian off. He's close to a red.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #786
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valencia gives Rooney the armband, for his good bye
Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #787
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

job well done!
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #788
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

classy tweet from Man City, too. Of course lots of idiots from both fan sides can't appreciate it, but I think it's a great gesture in light of the events on Monday.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #789
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Businesslike win.

In his first season Jose has won more at United than Liverpool and Spurs have won combined in the last 10 years.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #790
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zlatan after the game was incredible

Taking a selfie in front of the 'ill let Zlatan shag my wife if he stays' banner

Pushing Rojo out of the way for a selfie with Bailly
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #791
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was so much gravy. As a Manchester United fan this season was so good. Frustrating sometimes but you could see positive after positive. Not the least of which is Jose really knows who to bring in during transfers and who to play in games and what strategy to use. Give him credit for sticking with Fellaini when we all wanted him given the heave ho as just one example.

So important a win as the chances for signing their targets in the transfer window just got a massive boost.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #792
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Businesslike win.

In his first season Jose has won more at United than Liverpool and Spurs have won combined in the last 10 years.
Yeah it's incredible and super impressive. Would this have been received as well if LVG was still in charge?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #793
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if LVG was still in charge, there would have been different transfers. No Zlatan, no Pogba, probably no De Gea and Herrera. Certainly no EL win. So, who cares?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #794
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apart from the UEFA Supercup, both Rooney and Carrick have now won every trophy in club football with United.

5x Premier League
1x Champions League
1x Europa League
1x FA Cup
3x League Cup
6x Community Shield
1x Club WC
Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #795
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
if LVG was still in charge, there would have been different transfers. No Zlatan, no Pogba, probably no De Gea and Herrera. Certainly no EL win. So, who cares?
Well it's not much of a different season? 6th place in the PL with their lowest wins total...maybe since the PL began. Last year it was the FA Cup that you won and this year Europa. I would say that is close to a wash, although you do get the CL qualification. So the difference appears to be the League Cup. I'm not sure that is something to get too excited about, but I guess it's winning a trophy which isn't a bad thing of course.

And yeah, the Zlatan transfer worked out incredibly well. Pogba though...I don't know. For the amount of money he cost he wasn't that good?

And of course this is a pure hypothetical given that they won, but if they had lost yesterday it's probably a worse season than the year before with LVG, despite splashing however many hundred million around.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #796
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well it's not much of a different season? 6th place in the PL with their lowest wins total...maybe since the PL began. Last year it was the FA Cup that you won and this year Europa. I would say that is close to a wash, although you do get the CL qualification. So the difference appears to be the League Cup. I'm not sure that is something to get too excited about, but I guess it's winning a trophy which isn't a bad thing of course.
For me, there was a difference, yes. There were too many draws and the forwards squandered too many chances, but in terms of on-field quality, it was a much better season for sure. There's a lot of things to build on and with a solid defense in place, I have no doubts that next year will be a lot better.

Plus Europa League >>> FA Cup. And yeah, "winning a trophy isn't a bad thing". You guys should try it some time

Quote:
And yeah, the Zlatan transfer worked out incredibly well. Pogba though...I don't know. For the amount of money he cost he wasn't that good?
it's tough to really assess the transfer fairly because many people will never look past the outrageous price tag. But in terms of pure football, he's had a solid year and United are a far better team when he's doing well. And he was unlucky, too - according to the Telegraph, he hit woodwork 9 times this season. He'll be even better next year.

Quote:
And of course this is a pure hypothetical given that they won, but if they had lost yesterday it's probably a worse season than the year before with LVG, despite splashing however many hundred million around.
yeah that's fair. No doubt the success of the whole season hinged on yesterday, and Mourinhos focus on EL and disregard of PL in the final months would have backfired in case of a loss. It was a good gamble though in the end and personally the EL win gives me a lot more pleasure than finishing 4th.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #797
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pogba wasn't world transfer level good but he has a much better season than the media has given him credit for, if half those posts turn in to goals he's viewed differently

Plus he plays a position he wasn't used to, at Juve he had much less defensive responsibility, he's going to be a true box to box guy but at his age and in what is a much different league, especially physically, it's a huge change

Everything United did passing went through him, but they lacked a link from him to attacking midfielder. Midfielder needs talent around it to look strong, next season the view on him changes imo and he's viewed as a top cm in europe
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #798
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
For me, there was a difference, yes. There were too many draws and the forwards squandered too many chances, but in terms of on-field quality, it was a much better season for sure. There's a lot of things to build on and with a solid defense in place, I have no doubts that next year will be a lot better.

Plus Europa League >>> FA Cup. And yeah, "winning a trophy isn't a bad thing". You guys should try it some time

it's tough to really assess the transfer fairly because many people will never look past the outrageous price tag. But in terms of pure football, he's had a solid year and United are a far better team when he's doing well. And he was unlucky, too - according to the Telegraph, he hit woodwork 9 times this season. He'll be even better next year.

yeah that's fair. No doubt the success of the whole season hinged on yesterday, and Mourinhos focus on EL and disregard of PL in the final months would have backfired in case of a loss. It was a good gamble though in the end and personally the EL win gives me a lot more pleasure than finishing 4th.
Well specifically regarding the CL, don't get me wrong, I wanted you guys to win yesterday. There is a certain amount of joy that comes with five PL clubs making it. It's mildly disappointing that we won't get to see Ar5ena1 take place again, but for me it's a nice trade off!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #799
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Plus he plays a position he wasn't used to, at Juve he had much less defensive responsibility, he's going to be a true box to box guy but at his age and in what is a much different league, especially physically, it's a huge change
Plus it's a lot different when you have Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini behind you in defense as a mid-fielder compared to the mish mash of central defenders that they had at United this season.

The structure and defense at Juventus really does make the midfield look better there. Old man Pirlo was rejuvenated, Khedira looks much better than he did at Madrid, Vidal looked better there than he has at Munich, etc.

Having that defensive security blanket playing behind you really opens up more options as a midfielder.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-25-2017 at 08:43 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #800
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile up in Scotland today Celtic wrap up a historic domestic treble with an injury time winner.
Undefeated in league and Cup play all season, 4 draws all year. As good as it can get for Brendan Rogers' debut season. Except of course for the European follies.

Seasons like this will bring back the debate started a couple decades ago, as to if a team like Celtic should be in the PL. Real tough to get transfers to come up North, both for having to play CL qualifiers even after seasons like this and the less money the Scottish TV contract vs the English one, which puts them behind the eight ball for talent when they cross into Europe for qualifiers or otherwise. Fan base is there as is the stadium etc, though Scottish soccer would take a big hit if their top team goes.

So it won't happen, but outside of a magical run even moreso than a couple years back, hard for the club to raise it's European profile with the limitations it has domestically to attract foriegn talent or,for that matter, keep rising talent like Dembele. Not the weekly wage that a rich-ish team like Celtic can afford if they really want to throw salaries out of whack, but more the prestiege, CL opportunity, and individusl sponsorship opportunities thst are more lucrative playing in England rather than Scotland.

Last edited by browna; 05-28-2017 at 12:20 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote