Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Official WOTLK Thread

Hi All,

Starting this a little early, but I figured we might as well put this in one location as the Expansion is nearly here.

Is anyone switching mains? what is your main?
What leveling Spec are you going with?
What are you most excited about with the expansion?
What is the Most OP Class?
What is the Worst Class?

Just throwing out a couple questions for fun.

We should use this thread for any questions or stories that pop up while leveling throughout the Expansion.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/screenshots.xml
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/movies.xml

Some nice information and screen shots above for anyone that has not seen them yet.

Have fun in the expansion and take your time leveling and enjoy the story!

Ethaniel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
Hi All,

Starting this a little early, but I figured we might as well put this in one location as the Expansion is nearly here.

Is anyone switching mains? what is your main?
What leveling Spec are you going with?
What are you most excited about with the expansion?
What is the Most OP Class?
What is the Worst Class?

Just throwing out a couple questions for fun.

We should use this thread for any questions or stories that pop up while leveling throughout the Expansion.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/screenshots.xml
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/movies.xml

Some nice information and screen shots above for anyone that has not seen them yet.

Have fun in the expansion and take your time leveling and enjoy the story!

Ethaniel
Parking my 70 NE Hunter (full T6 and badge gear), and picking up a DK.

Spec? Blood...maybe Frost...I'll have to see what it's like.

I'm excited to read the BS excuses from Blizzard about the server lag, down-time, and constant restarts....and Northrend.

Mages are OP....WAYYY OP, since the last patch.

Worst class is anyone that doesn't know how to play their class. I've seen Warriors in full T6 rockin, and then someone else in full T6 having problems with a level 6 boar.

I am lining up at the EB Games (already pre-purchased) on 130th Ave. S.E.

See you online!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Parking my 70 NE Hunter (full T6 and badge gear), and picking up a DK.

Spec? Blood...maybe Frost...I'll have to see what it's like.

I'm excited to read the BS excuses from Blizzard about the server lag, down-time, and constant restarts....and Northrend.

Mages are OP....WAYYY OP, since the last patch.

Worst class is anyone that doesn't know how to play their class. I've seen Warriors in full T6 rockin, and then someone else in full T6 having problems with a level 6 boar.

I am lining up at the EB Games (already pre-purchased) on 130th Ave. S.E.

See you online!
What?

Did you see Pallys? There is a reason why there was a hot-fix Pally nerf thrown out there.

Mages didn't actually change too much.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

My gnome rogue still rolls with the OP.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well they did state that they are now looking at arcane mages as they are OP atm.

All I know is I am going to take my warlock to 80 then probably level a DK. Is it just me or does it look like blizzard took everything good from the Warlocks and gave it to DK's. Oh well at least we wont be complained about as much.

Minecraft and more!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My main is a druid, which I'll be taking to 80 first. Then a mage, also at 70. Been working on levelling a shaman behind it, but still only in the 40s.

As goofy as it is, I like the achievement system from the last major patch. It's pretty useless right now, but as someone who doesn't raid (neither the time nor the dedication for it), it did add some silly little things to do to keep the game interesting.

Like inscription, but I have no clue why they added it in before the expansion. That said, 1g50s for a stack of peacebloom at auction now? WTF?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
Well they did state that they are now looking at arcane mages as they are OP atm.

All I know is I am going to take my warlock to 80 then probably level a DK. Is it just me or does it look like blizzard took everything good from the Warlocks and gave it to DK's. Oh well at least we wont be complained about as much.
That could be, I did notice a lot of arcane talent tree changes, but I've always been a fire mage. I love the push back they gave to the fire blast.

The shuffling of a couple of the talents means I'm still trying to decide the best way to go, but I was going to wait until 80 and figure out how the additional 10 talent points work out.

A friend is a feral druid, and he is mourning the loss of some armour but is liking the additional damage he is doing.

I'll probably level my mage to 80. There are going to be so many death knights at the start it'll be crazy. I've also got a lvl 60 Shaman I'll probably play with sometime in there.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm mourning the loss of my ability to heal in bear form. That rather changed how I do things.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I just re rolled a NE Druid to play with a buddy.. before that I had a tuaren Druid. Have to say I like shadowmeld better than war stomp.

There is a lot of balance issues right now that will be sorted out once everyone is 80, or so I have been told. If you look at most BG's right now Prot Warriors are topping the damage charts.. and yes Mages ARE OP right now, but like I said it is all supposed to balance out at 80, so I will wait and see.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
My main is a druid, which I'll be taking to 80 first. Then a mage, also at 70. Been working on levelling a shaman behind it, but still only in the 40s.

As goofy as it is, I like the achievement system from the last major patch. It's pretty useless right now, but as someone who doesn't raid (neither the time nor the dedication for it), it did add some silly little things to do to keep the game interesting.

Like inscription, but I have no clue why they added it in before the expansion. That said, 1g50s for a stack of peacebloom at auction now? WTF?
Yeah, a few months ago I switched my mage from herbalist to tailor and I'm regretting it now.

I prefer PvE, and like raiding but I'm not willing to be dedicated enough to join a hard-core raiding guild. For me, Wow is something I do instead of watching TV. If a group is going to the pub or something like that, I'm going to do that. Plus, many of the guilds are server time oriented, so they want to start around 5 or 5:30 my time, and I would like a chance to get home from work, eat, etc.

The achievements are cool because it gets me to check out and do some content I hadn't seen before. I only got into Wow a year ago, so there is a lot of content that is rarely visited anymore. And being Alliance, I had never even been to Mulgore before going their for the explore points.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

i about to start playing WOW for the first time .... all this lingo is quite intimidating... any tips for you guys ??
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I still don't know why we aren't all on the same server...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
i about to start playing WOW for the first time .... all this lingo is quite intimidating... any tips for you guys ??
Just have fun. The majority of the early content of the game can be done solo, or in small groups, so you will have lots of opportunity to get used to the game. I think for a lot of people just starting out, after a brief push into the game, you'll probaby get bored of it for a few days. Generally after that, we find out if you get hooked or not.

wowwiki.com and thottbot.com are two excellent resources for finding things and information.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I still don't know why we aren't all on the same server...
Well, I'm on the server with a couple of my IRL friends, so I'm not sure I would want to change. If I was coming in new then I would be all over that.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it is. That was one of the hardest things. People looking for groups for VC, and I was wondering what the heck is VC, I need to go into the Deadmines. (VC = Van Cleef, the final boss of deadmines)

The best thing would be if you had a friend or two who had characters (also called "toons") within a level or two of you and do quests with them. You can do it all on your own, but sometimes it can be more fun in a group.

Wowwiki is good, but when I was new it could sometimes be a bit overwhelming. I kind of like WowHead.com, but will look in a few different ones.

The biggest thing, have fun. Don't be afraid to die. Have fun. If you are on your own, try something different every once in a while. Use a stance/spell/totem you rarely use and see what happens. And most of all, have fun.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #16
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The number one tip anyone will ever give you: find a guild that's right for you. If you go to your official realm forum on the WoW website, most guilds advertise themselves, list if they're recruiting or not, and state what their goals and general attitude are. You should spend some time "shopping around" until you find a good fit. That being said, you'll probably get invited to your first guild if you have a good experience completing a 5-player dungeon with some other players. If you're Alliance, the first dungeon you're likely to do is the Deadmines (level 17-20 or so), and if you're Horde, it will either be Ragefire Chasm (level ~15) or Wailing Caverns (~20-25).

Play around with a few classes until you find one you like. Druid is a good first class because it gives you a sample of everything -- they can cast both damaging and healing spells, shapeshift into a bear for tanking, and shapeshift into a cat for stealth and rogue-like damage-dealing. If you like being a cat more than the other aspects of a druid, for example, you might want to consider playing a rogue.

Some popular lingo you'll see often:

LFG: Looking for group. Usually the person will list a specific quest or dungeon after this
LFM: Looking for more. As above, but they already have a group and need more players
AH: Auction House, a place for buying and selling goods, located in every capital city
PUG: Pick-up Group, a group formed randomly instead of being organized by a guild. These can sometimes go well, but they're reknowned for often ending badly
DPS: Damage per second, a measure of how effective you are in combat. DPS can also refer to player class that specializes in dealing damage (as opposed to tanking or healing), such as a rogue or mage.

Capital City abbreviations:
Alliance
SW: Stormwind
IF: Ironforge
Darn: Darnassus

Horde:
Org: Orgrimmar
UC: Undercity
TB: Thunderbluff
SM: Silvermoon -- SM can also refer to Scarlet Monestary, a level 35-40 dungeon
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Yeah, it is. That was one of the hardest things. People looking for groups for VC, and I was wondering what the heck is VC, I need to go into the Deadmines. (VC = Van Cleef, the final boss of deadmines)
You can blame Dire Maul for that one. We used to call Deadmines "DM" but had to switch it to "VC" when Dire Maul was released in a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Some popular lingo you'll see often:

LFG: Looking for group. Usually the person will list a specific quest or dungeon after this
LFM: Looking for more. As above, but they already have a group and need more players
AH: Auction House, a place for buying and selling goods, located in every capital city
PUG: Pick-up Group, a group formed randomly instead of being organized by a guild. These can sometimes go well, but they're reknowned for often ending badly
DPS: Damage per second, a measure of how effective you are in combat. DPS can also refer to player class that specializes in dealing damage (as opposed to tanking or healing), such as a rogue or mage.

Capital City abbreviations:
Alliance
SW: Stormwind
IF: Ironforge
Darn: Darnassus

Horde:
Org: Orgrimmar
UC: Undercity
TB: Thunderbluff
SM: Silvermoon -- SM can also refer to Scarlet Monestary, a level 35-40 dungeon
Also, if you see someone use the word "rogue" ... that's just WoW lingo for "win."

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-12-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #18
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Yeah, a few months ago I switched my mage from herbalist to tailor and I'm regretting it now.

I prefer PvE, and like raiding but I'm not willing to be dedicated enough to join a hard-core raiding guild. For me, Wow is something I do instead of watching TV. If a group is going to the pub or something like that, I'm going to do that. Plus, many of the guilds are server time oriented, so they want to start around 5 or 5:30 my time, and I would like a chance to get home from work, eat, etc.

The achievements are cool because it gets me to check out and do some content I hadn't seen before. I only got into Wow a year ago, so there is a lot of content that is rarely visited anymore. And being Alliance, I had never even been to Mulgore before going their for the explore points.
This is the exact reason why I am loving this game even more now. Achievements. I wish they would have had this since release as it is awesome fun. When i start all my alts i am making sure that I do the achievements i can and complete them. Now that I realized these achievements i understand how much of the game i missed with my first character.

I highly suggest just leveling getting as many achievements with an alt aswell. Explore everything etc.

Minecraft and more!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You can blame Dire Maul for that one. We used to call Deadmines "DM" but had to switch it to "VC" when Dire Maul was released in a patch.
Bah, you can usually tell which DM someone means by the context. You won't find a level 18 player looking for a Dire Maul group in Westfall general chat.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Bah, you can usually tell which DM someone means by the context. You won't find a level 18 player looking for a Dire Maul group in Westfall general chat.
Oh of course. If I'm having a conversation with someone, there's no confusion. The two dungeons are opposite ends of the spectrum (or used to be, at least).

The problem was with General/Trade/PVP channels, etc. Someone would say, "LFG DM" and some other ###### would answer, "Deadmines or Dire Maul" and then the whole... "Well I'm level 60, noob, so what do you think?"... followed by, "STFU how would I know" and then "you can shift-click on my name, ######"... and then "omfg why don't you just call one VC and the other DM?"...

etc etc.

I could care less what the abbreviations are, since I have intelligence. It was still changed from DM to VC though.

(edit: ...and yes, I also turn off General and PVP channels... and even the Trade channel most of the time, and no I don't spend a lot of time looking for PUGs, in fact I can probably count on two hands the number of PUGs I've been in since I started playing DAoC 5 years ago)