Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4i-black-in-ear-headset

Been using these for almost a year, needed something with a remote/mic on the wire because apple earbuds are junk.
I'd recommend these IEMs as well. I've been using mine for 2 years without any problems. Good sound for a decent price.

If I'm not mistake the S4i version 2 is out, and they flattened the cable so it doesn't get tangled.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #42
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those Klipsch's are fantastic earphones bang-for-the-buck wise, and also just generally really good compared to almost everything else mentioned in this thread.

Skullcandy is complete and utter garbage.

If you want cheaper earbuds, my strong suggestion is to get panasonic ergofits (hje280, 170, 450 etc - if you get 900's, you're into some of the best earbuds you'll find anywhere). For the price you can get them they're pretty bomber, have pretty good sound (better if you go up the chain to the higher-end models) and are very comfortable.

Here. This should end the thread pretty much immediately.

Last edited by AR_Six; 10-07-2012 at 04:17 PM.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #43
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a set of Sennhiser HD 228. They are fantastic head phones, amazing sound quality.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #44
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Style:
Skullcandy RocNation Aviator

Substance:
JBL Reference 220

chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #45
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Been using these for almost a year, needed something with a remote/mic on the wire because apple earbuds are junk.
I have these but in white. I've tried several different kinds including Skullcandy, but these are by far my favourite.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #46
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I use the "rugged" version of those. I like them a lot.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #47
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

As good of sound as any of those have, the Bose in ear headphones have the thing that goes up into your ear to keep them from falling out. By far the most comfortable ones I've worn.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yay! Fun topic, I have a few different sets I listen to on a regular basis:

IEMs - Phonak PFE's - http://www.audeoworld.com/en/US/default.htm - I would highly recommend these for anyone who wants a fairly neutral sound, they can be customized using filters that come with them to suit your personal taste. I'd say the biggest limitation with these is imaging, which is a weak spot for just about every IEM and most earphones in general.

CANS - Grado SR325i's - http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headph...7da233d0238ccd - Kind of a cool retro look to them, I really dig the look, these are pretty in-your-face sounding can, great for rock and accoustic. The big drawbacks are a lack of bass and the fact that they are an open design so that you really can't use them well in a loud environment, and they don't isolate others from your music either, my wife yells at me all the time to turn them down.

CANS - Ultrasone HFI 780 - http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/e...s/hfi-780.html - I bought these as a backup for my Grado's as they isolate, and also I was craving something with a bit more bass. These quickly became my go-to earphones, they can handle pretty much anything you throw at them, they have a lot of bass, and decent isolation so I can turn them up in my office without worrying about disrupting all my co-workers 3 doors down the hallway. I'd say the biggest weakness to these is heat buildup, I can't where them too long or I feel like I am wearing earmuffs in a sauna.

A good resource for headphones is www.head-fi.org, but be warned, they have a motto "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet". It can be a fairly expensive hobby if you go down the rabbit hole.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #49
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am poor, and mostly use my headphones to watch movies on the bus, so I really don't care about quality other than to block out external noise.

I am currently using these from Monoprice for about 6 bucks a pair. Not much if any interference or 'clicking' from static like other cheap ones I have found, but if I am wearing like a ski jacket or something, I occasionally get some vibration noise as the braided cord rubs on the nylon.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #50
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Yay! Fun topic, I have a few different sets I listen to on a regular basis:

IEMs - Phonak PFE's - http://www.audeoworld.com/en/US/default.htm - I would highly recommend these for anyone who wants a fairly neutral sound, they can be customized using filters that come with them to suit your personal taste. I'd say the biggest limitation with these is imaging, which is a weak spot for just about every IEM and most earphones in general.

CANS - Grado SR325i's - http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headph...7da233d0238ccd - Kind of a cool retro look to them, I really dig the look, these are pretty in-your-face sounding can, great for rock and accoustic. The big drawbacks are a lack of bass and the fact that they are an open design so that you really can't use them well in a loud environment, and they don't isolate others from your music either, my wife yells at me all the time to turn them down.
Have you tried the Grado SR125i's? If so what are your thoughts on them? I'm looking for something with accurate, neutral sound reproduction - headphones with over-emphasized bass are something I try to avoid.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #51
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shure SRH840 cans
Shure SE535 ear buds

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Have you tried the Grado SR125i's? If so what are your thoughts on them? I'm looking for something with accurate, neutral sound reproduction - headphones with over-emphasized bass are something I try to avoid.

I've never actually listened to the 125i's, though throughout most of it's lineup, Grado's wouldn't really be considered a "neutral" phone. I think some of the truly neutral monitors tend to be pretty boring. That said, the Shure SRH840 mentioned by YYC are extremely capable headphones, and come in at a good price. I tend to shy away from pushing the Grado cans as they aren't really that versatile, I find I either need a super quiet room, or I end up turning them up too loud to compensate for the open design.

I am not a bass-head or anything, in fact I don't really listen to any bass heavy music, but having solid amounts of clean, punchy bass I find can help any kind of music.

One thing I would recommend is a small headphone amp, depending on what cans you select, some can be pretty power hungry, and the amp isn't really about getting extra loudnes, but trying to deliver enough power to keep things tight at any volume.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #53
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The SR60 and SR80's have very heavy bass, but the 125s have excellent sound reproduction across the board. I use my 80s when out walking and listening to rock, and the 125s on my home stereo while listening to jazz on vinyl. I can't compare them to the higher end models, but for the money they are amazing.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

MEElectronics

http://www.meelec.com/

Often have sales where you can get half price. If you're not willingot pay $200 for a pair, this is the way to go.

The F-ing headphone guide above, gives great reviews on these guys.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Forget all these, get a military Comtac headset.

When are you bored of listening to your own music, you can switch on the enhanced hearing and listen to conversations 30 feet away.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #56
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
the 125s on my home stereo while listening to jazz on vinyl.
Boom, that's what I was looking for (except the vinyl part).

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #57
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still think the Audio Technica ATH-M50s are the best set of closed cans you can get under $200. Haven't kept up with anything new in the last 9 months or so though.

Got a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Golds for $99 on boxing day online at FS and are easily the best dollar-for-dollar audio purchase I've made, ever.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #58
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife bought me Beats By Dre Studios last year for Fathers Day. One of the most amazing gifts I've ever received. I listen to sings that I've heard hundred of times before and still hear new sounds and beats. I'm a hip hop head, and love the bass these puppies produce. The fact that they take 2 AAA batteries stinks, but I love them. One of my most used items for sure.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #59
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Shure SE535 ear buds
Have you ever used any of the lower Shures? I have the 310's and I'm wondering how much better the 535's would be.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #60
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Nokia BH-905, used mainly during commute: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/bh-905i/

Used to own these:

RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote