Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Two dead outside Superstore on 130th ave SE

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...earms-involved

There was a double murder at the Superstore on 130th about an hour ago. Cops have a lot of the parking lot taped off right now. My random guess would be gang related, but I'm really curious if it actually was or not.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This seems to happen once every two years or so, where there's very few major gun incidents then there'll be three or four injuries/fatalities almost set to a watch every few days/weeks following, likely all connected.

Hopefully we don't break out into a gang war. Kelowna's apparently getting hammered right now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People speculating drive-by right now but of course we won't know the real/full details until morning. This is my Superstore. Really awful in general, honestly. This paired with the dead body also found on 130th a couple days ago in a car at Walmart has been weird as hell.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, paying the $3.00 for click and collect sure seems worth it now, in order to avoid drive-bys!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Man, paying the $3.00 for click and collect sure seems worth it now, in order to avoid drive-bys!
You still have to drive into the parking lot to collect. I'd be wanting click and deliver instead!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You still have to drive into the parking lot to collect. I'd be wanting click and deliver instead!
I prefer to take my chances with "Duck and Deliver" (TM)
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

And the turf war between the Superstore and Walmart has taken a drastic turn. This is what happens when Walmart tries to cut into the Superstores grocery market.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is less than 5 km from my house. I knew my neighbourhood was a powder keg waiting to explode

My alternate theory involves an angry shopper and something to do with the price of mix at the liquor store
Old 05-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We were in the store when it happened - we were fortunate as our car was just outside their taped off area.

It actually happened where I would've normally parked but a car was pulling out of that row so we drove to the next one. The two bodies were a fair ways away from each other as we could only see one from where we were parked.

It was a rough week for my wife in that area as she was onsite at the Walmart across the street earlier in the week when they discovered a body in a car in that lot too. 3 bodies in less than a week on that road.

~P^2
firebug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #10
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If they would just add a few extra cashiers.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #11
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This seems to happen once every two years or so, where there's very few major gun incidents then there'll be three or four injuries/fatalities almost set to a watch every few days/weeks following, likely all connected.

Hopefully we don't break out into a gang war. Kelowna's apparently getting hammered right now.

wait??? what???

i have noticed anything different.

the only thing kelowna's getting hammered with right now is a crazy amount of water in the lake.

Quote:
Okanagan Lake has surpassed lake levels from the 1997 floods, and it continues to rise.
The lake rose another two centimetres Friday and now sits at 342.8 metres above sea level, surpassing 1997 levels of 342.79 metres., the last major flooding event in Kelowna.
In 1990, the lake level reached 342.87 metres, and in 1948, levels reached 343 metres.
Officials predict the lake will eventually reach 1948 levels, but this is dependent on rain in the area and warm temperatures melting the high snowpack in the surrounding mountains.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...ses-1997-flood
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
My random guess would be gang related, but I'm really curious if it actually was or not.
In Calgary, if guns are involved in some way, it's 99% gang/drugs related. If some other kind of weapon is involved, it's generally not.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
wait??? what???

i have noticed anything different.

the only thing kelowna's getting hammered with right now is a crazy amount of water in the lake.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...ses-1997-flood
Get your head in the game man, can't you see this is clearly gang related
Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dang. This has been all over my social media. Safe it say it's drug related.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until judges start locking up people caught with illegal guns this is going to become more of a norm in this city. A friend of mine fired 2 brothers that were temporary immigrant workers because they got caught with a handgun in their car. not only did they get to stay in Canada, they got no fine as they couldn't afford it.

All they got a few hours of community service and had to take a good guy course.

So very stupid.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Until judges start locking up people caught with illegal guns this is going to become more of a norm in this city. A friend of mine fired 2 brothers that were temporary immigrant workers because they got caught with a handgun in their car. not only did they get to stay in Canada, they got no fine as they couldn't afford it.

All they got a few hours of community service and had to take a good guy course.

So very stupid.
Wait, lets forget the gun charge.... how does a temporary immigrant worker get to stay after losing their job?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Wait, lets forget the gun charge.... how does a temporary immigrant worker get to stay after losing their job?
Because the TFW program is a joke?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #18
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They toook our jerrrbs
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I believe it depends on the nature of the work permit. Some permits are tied to a specific employer, while others are tied to a specific job and/or sector. So if you are a caregiver and are fired, you can find employment as a caregiver for another family using the same work permit. This flexibility also protects the worker and allows you to switch employers if your current employer is exploiting you or treating you unfairly.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

So very stupid.

I've said that violent gun crimes should be life in prison with no chance of parole. It takes a special brand of scum to take a gun aim right at a person, basically look them in the eye and take their lives.

I tend to think that once you've taken a life, especially with things like gang related crime that it becomes easier to keep doing it.

But at the end of the day, if you choose to use an illegal gun, you've made the choice to kill and there's no defense for that.

I don't believe that any method of gun control is going to work without the ability to remove gun killers from society on a permanent basis.

I don't believe that there is any reason to have a pistol on your person or in your house. I hate the self defense argument because it doesn't bear water for me because frankly your more then likely either going to f up and kill a family member or a pet or some innocent bystander in your panic, or your going to end up dead and the criminal is going to add a gun to his collection.

The best home defense is good insurance, a telephone and a good either escape plan or a lockable door that will keep the criminal away from you for the 5 to 10 minutes that it takes the cops to get there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: