Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default The Conference Winner Trophies: To Touch or Not to Touch?

It's almost time to once again watch the presentations of the Conference Final Trophies- The Campbell Bowl (West) and the Prince of Wales Trophy (East). The question is will the victorious teams touch the trophies or not? I think it's safe to say that Crosby and the Penguins will definitely touch, and possibly skate around the ice with the Prince of Wales Trophy, should they win, considering they did this in 1991, 1992, 2009, and 2016, but failed to do so in 2008 the only year they lost in the Final.

As for Nashville, Ottawa, and Anaheim, who knows? The tradition of not touching the trophies dates back to 1997, when Eric Lindros refused to touch the Prince of Wales Trophy. Lindros and the Flyers would get swept by the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Final. The second time a team refused to touch the Wales Trophy, Mike Peca and the Buffalo Sabres would lose in 6 games to Dallas in the 1999 Final. The third time this happened was when Paul Kariya and Anaheim refused to touch the Campbell Bowl in 2003. The Ducks lost to the Devils in 7 games in the Final.

Despite this superstition never working, it somehow became common place. More often than not, the Trophies are not touched, and on occasion the team will skate by the presenter, and not bother to have a photo taken. In 2004, Iginla touched and posed with the Campbell Bowl, while Dave Andreychuk refused to touch the Wales Trophy. Since that time, more often than not, the trophy is not touched. Statistics do not support that a team is any more likely to win the Stanley Cup by not touching the Conference Trophies, since the lockout years.

So why is this silly tradition still practiced?
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Before anyone mentions what happened in 2004, I think I would like to point out that the Gelinas goal crossed the line in Game 6. The Flames were robbed in 2004.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid superstition is stupid.

Touch the trophy, lift it up for a photo, then put it down and focus on the bigger prize.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Touch it, kiss it, lick it, hump it for all I care. Correlation is not causation, and superstition is stupid.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on what my horoscope says
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Before anyone mentions what happened in 2004, I think I would like to point out that the Gelinas goal crossed the line in Game 6. The Flames were robbed in 2004.
Thanks for posting this, it was now 13 years ago, and it is about time to resurrect this discussion.

Like dieter's monkey, it must be touched as it is hard to get to this point and every victory should be celebrated.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, I always thought the stupid superstition began because Yzerman refused to touch the Campbell Bowl in 1997 after he had touched it in 1995 (and they lost to the Devils in the Final). Since they won the Cup in 1997, he refused to ever touch it again and other teams started to copy them.

Yet, here you have Yzerman touching it (5:45)...

Lindros not touching it (24:00)...

Yzerman also touched it in 1998 and 2002. So, why did the superstition ever take root?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have never heard of a superstition surrounding the conference trophies. The only one I know of is never touching the Stanley cup unless you have won it.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I have never heard of a superstition surrounding the conference trophies. The only one I know of is never touching the Stanley cup unless you have won it.
I'm weirdly ok with this one because it's not about a superstition necessarily, but rather deep, deep respect for the cup. You have to EARN the right to touch it if you're a hockey player. It helps with motivation as far as I'm concerned.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm weirdly ok with this one because it's not about a superstition necessarily, but rather deep, deep respect for the cup. You have to EARN the right to touch it if you're a hockey player. It helps with motivation as far as I'm concerned.
I am ok with it as well, but you'd have to agree that there is a definite thought of superstition in the back of each players mind when in the presence of the cup. Hell I don't consider myself superstitious, and when I first saw the cup in person I had to think to myself whether it was ok to touch it, and I had a guaranteed zero percent chance of ever playing for it, lol.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i chuckled last summer when i did pics for justin schultz when he had the cup for a day... RNH was at his party and not only did he not touch the cup, he was almost trying to make sure he wasn't in pics with the cup. he definitely went and checked the cup out, but didn't get too close. heh.

i must confess that probably the coolest thing for me (aside from hanging out with 'stan' for the day) was getting to drink from the cup - that was pretty sweet!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The last time the team touching the Stanley Cup won again the next year was 1997. Maybe they shouldn't touch the Stanley Cup either.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Touch it it's stupid not to

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you are weak-minded enough to believe that touching it will jinx your ability to win the cup, then you should probably not touch it.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I never thought of it as a superstition. I always though of it as a nothing trophy, so why bother? You haven't won anything. There is one goal.

Can't stand the way baseball celebrates series victories.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goofy superstitions are part of the fun.

Nobody really believes that touching the trophy will curse your chances.

Just like I don't really believe that mentioning the shutout Murray has going here halfway through the 2nd will curse his chances to keep it up.

ON the other hand, as I typed that, the Penguins scored again. So who knows?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I never thought of it as a superstition. I always though of it as a nothing trophy, so why bother? You haven't won anything. There is one goal.

Can't stand the way baseball celebrates series victories.
Getting into the playoffs and winning a series is a bigger accomplishment in baseball, plus it's shorter playoffs.

I disagree though, it's not a nothing trophy. It's a huge accomplishment that very few teams even get to. Conference championships should be celebrated a little more, imo.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by doctajones428; 05-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could say the same thing about touching the Conference Trophies. You haven't won Stanley yet so don't celebrate this.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #20
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Getting into the playoffs and winning a series is a bigger accomplishment in baseball, plus it's shorter playoffs.

I disagree though, it's not a nothing trophy. It's a huge accomplishment that very few teams even get to. Conference championships should be celebrated a little more, imo.
Eye on the prize.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post: