Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #501
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
A hypothetical question... cause it's summer and this isn't getting resolved any time soon...

If the Devils gave these two trade options to the Flames, which would people choose? Or do you choose to walk away?

To CGY
- Schneider

To NJ
- Gillies
- 2017 16th overall pick

OR

To NJ
- Parsons
- 2018 2nd round pick
Take option one and be super happy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #502
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
That is pretty big hit on the salary cap. I would like to see Bernier and Rittich/Gillies rotation. Many will argue that Rittich and/or Gillies isn't ready to be backup because they haven't played 100 games in the AHL but I would counter with Darling, Grubauer and Raanta didn't play 100 games in the AHL before getting backup duties.
Well Grubauer has actually played 103 AHL games, and while Darling has payed only 53 AHL games, he did play three full years of professional hockey in NA prior to this year. Unlike all the other goalies mentioned Raanta is already 28-years-old. The argument is not just that Rittich and Gillies are inexperienced it is also that both are young and neither one has dominated at the AHL level, which seems like a pretty reliable indicator that a goalie is ready to take the next step in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #503
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can we please remove bernier from this poll.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #504
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well Grubauer has actually played 103 AHL games, and while Darling has payed only 53 AHL games, he did play three full years of professional hockey in NA prior to this year. Unlike all the other goalies mentioned Raanta is already 28-years-old. The argument is not just that Rittich and Gillies are inexperienced it is also that both are young and neither one has dominated at the AHL level, which seems like a pretty reliable indicator that a goalie is ready to take the next step in the NHL.
Grubauer got 2 games in the NHL at the age of 21 along with 28 games in the AHL. The following year got 17 games in the NHL and 28 in the AHL. He stayed in the AHL until Washington was able to deal Halak and Neuvirth to make room for him. Darling was an awful goaltender and played in the Southern Professional Hockey League but he was able to pick himself up and make it as a backup in the league. These guys were given opportunities before the Magical 100 AHL games played. This is why I would like to see that Gillies can do and help the team with the salary cap as well.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #505
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
Grubauer got 2 games in the NHL at the age of 21 along with 28 games in the AHL. The following year got 17 games in the NHL and 28 in the AHL. He stayed in the AHL until Washington was able to deal Halak and Neuvirth to make room for him. Darling was an awful goaltender and played in the Southern Professional Hockey League but he was able to pick himself up and make it as a backup in the league. These guys were given opportunities before the Magical 100 AHL games played. This is why I would like to see that Gillies can do and help the team with the salary cap as well.
Gillies just does not appear nearly ready to me based on his first two pro seasons. I see no reason to expect very much from him at this point., If he comes through with a solid season this year, then I will agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #506
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a suggestion, but maybe it is time to narrow it down to the top 5 or 6 and have a runn-off poll.

It would be be interesting to see if the outliers change the overall preference for the top vote getters.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #507
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dudes proposing Rask for Raycroft v2.0

Why on earth would we ever trade Tyler Parsons or Jon Gillies.

Hell trading Brossoit to the Oilers is already looking like a mistake.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #508
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
. The argument is not just that Rittich and Gillies are inexperienced it is also that both are young and neither one has dominated at the AHL level, which seems like a pretty reliable indicator that a goalie is ready to take the next step in the NHL.
I would argue Rittich was one of the best goalies in the AHL last year. Stockton gave up a lot of odd man rushes, power plays, and net front scoring chances and he still finished the season top ten in SV% (I think 6th, eith one of the top 5 being Halak who had no business being in the AHL).

Rittich was also the reason Stockton nearly upset a vastly superior and healthier #1 seed San Jose Barricuda. Games 1 and the first half of two (which Gillies started) were more of an indicator of how that series should have gone, but Rittich turned it around allowing them to come back in game two, win game 4, and hang on in game 5 until Rittich just could not go on due to the flu.

I am as confident that Rittich is NHL ready to be a backup as I am that Gillies is not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #509
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Dudes proposing Rask for Raycroft v2.0

Why on earth would we ever trade Tyler Parsons or Jon Gillies.

Hell trading Brossoit to the Oilers is already looking like a mistake.
The Brossoit trade was 4 years ago and it is "already" a mistake. At the end of the day that trade worked out poorly for the Flames due to Smid's injury not Brossoit's play.

Unfortunately Gillies or Parsons is likely included in a trade that would land the Flames a goalie like Schneider (if he is even available).

The Flames could always keep what they have and hope for the best but they risk wasting a year from their core. Gio has only a few good seasons left, Bennett and Tkachuk will only be cheap for so long. Then Brodie, Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Monahan will all be closer to free agency and their one more massive payday where it is likely the Flames end up losing one of them for cap reasons.

Having said that the Flames can ill afford to make a mistake on a goalie if he comes with a big long term contract.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #510
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies or Parsons doesn't necessarily have to be included in any move the Flames make for a starting goaltender. It really depends on what prospects that team has. I am not familiar with NJ's depth (other than I think it is fairly bad with few blue-chippers). Maybe it is the case that they demand one of our goalie prospects back, or perhaps they are looking to build in another area and are comfortable with their organizational depth in net.

However, I would be very disappointed in getting rid of Parsons, and to a lesser extent, Gillies. They could be affordable for years if they make it, and they have just as good of a chance as any other goalie prospect out there (if not more so).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #511
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen a couple Caps fans out there claiming a rumor where the Flames offered the 2017 1st and Johnson for Grubauer during the season. Anyone else caught wind of that rumor?

If it's even true, I don't know if having the pick cement itself at 16th overall, or the fact that the Flames have since dealt their 2nd and 3rd rounders in this draft has changed anything but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if we see Grubauer traded for.

I just hope if it's 16th OA being moved we see something else coming back along with Grubauer. Just seems like too much to give up, especially when a fair market offer sheet (which the Caps would have trouble matching) would come with a 2018 2nd round pick as compensation. ($1.87m-$3.75m)

Maybe 16th OA + a prospect for Grubauer + Wilson or something like that?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #512
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd voted Bishop before (peer pressure primarily), and went with Grubauer this time around. For some reason he strikes me as the most appealing of the "young guy with potential" options. It's always good to have a solid German on your team, as well. David Wolf didn't end up filling the void, and with Draisaitl making noise up north we need to fire a salvo or two of our own in the arms race.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #513
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don not want to trade our 1st round pick, Gillies or Parsons. Unlike some here I very much liked what I saw in Gillies game against LA. I think we re-sign Elliot for 2 to 3 years at around $3 million. We start the season with Gillies as back-up and actually give him a chance to show what he can bring to the team. Also we should re-sign Rittich and keep him on the farm, but be prepared to bring Rittich up if Gillies falters. Parson can play a key role on the farm , but after 2 years he can moved in as Flames back-up to Gillies. Elliot might have one year left on his contract, but that will be a success.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #514
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the Flames should keep the spot open for Brent Krahn.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #515
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

argh, gotta admit i'm getting worried about the goalie situation. The other teams starved for goaltending got ahead of the problem and were fortunate to lock their guy up (dallas, carolina).

That leaves the flames and the jets as the only teams left, though the jets are likely looking on a pure tandem short term solution (assuming they feel hellybuck is their guy long term), and no really great options available on the free agent market. I wonder what a bunch of our middling prospects are worth (poirier, klimchuk, shinkaruk, wotherspoon, kulak, macdonald, etc) if anything at all..... i really don't want to part with our first round pick this year, especially given that a) it isn't likely enough by itself to get a good deal done, b) we have no picks till the 4th round after that..
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #516
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

yeah I'm pretty torn.

You don't want to expend huge assets, yet you don't want to leave a team that's coming together with weak goaltending.

Getting Schneider puts the Flames in win now mode, but it will cost to get it done.

You could go for a guy like Ranta and hope you solve the next four seasons, or you could try and plug it for two years and hope on of the Flames youngsters is ready to take it over.

What I wouldn't do is over play for Fleury. I like the guy and think he'd do well, but he's not elite and the Flames shouldn't have to play a ransom to get him. If that's the way they want to go I'd go to Arizona, Detroit and Pittsburgh and tell them all I'm talking to each of them and take the cheapest of Smith, Howard or Fleury. The two year window fits.

If I could wing it though I'd love to see a Ranta/Elliott tandem.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #517
Volica
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Top 3 options for me, in no particular order, are:

1) MAF on a value trade. If the cost is a first round pick, or top prospect, tell Rutherford to get bent and move on. If the cost is a 3rd round pick, B-prospect or salary for salary type trade.
2) Grubauer through Vegas. Vegas will have a plethora of of young goalies to choose from (they will be a goalie rich team); if the cost works, he'd be an excellent option.
3) Antti Raanta. NYR will end up losing Raanta or one of their bottom 6 players. IF they're comfortable losing a bottom 6'er, Raanta could be had cheap. Also, the Vegas route would work too.

I'm not a big fan of any of the other options to be perfectly honest. Schneider will cost a small fortune; Flames need to continue stocking up the cupboards... they really need to make that 16th pick this year to keep the influx of high level talent coming in (and not right to the NHL).
Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #518
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did I miss where there was a rumor that the Devils were entertaining offers for Schneider? I don't think that organization would ever do a scorched earth rebuild in that market and they already got the first overall pick in this draft without being Oilers terrible and their top players are in the range of 26 to mid-34 so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to tear it down while Hall, Palmeieri, and Henrique are in the primes of their careers. I simply don't think Ray Shero is dumb enough to trade places with the Flames and coming out the team annually searching for a starting goaltender. That's the kind of trade that gets coaches and GM's fired as we have seen here what below average goaltending can do to a team as it impedes any chances of success.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-24-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #519
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Did I miss where there was a rumor that the Devils were entertaining offers for Schneider? I don't think that organization would ever do a scorched earth rebuild in that market and they already got the first overall pick in this draft without being Oilers terrible and their top players are in the range of 26 to mid-34 so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to tear it down while Hall, Palmeieri, and Henrique are in the primes of their careers. I simply don't think Ray Shero is dumb enough to trade places with the Flames and coming out the team annually searching for a starting goaltender. That's the kind of trade that gets coaches and GM's fired as we have seen here what below average goaltending can do to a team as it impedes any chances of success.
He was already dumb enough to trade places with the grease and now their defense is hilariously unstable.

I don't see them moving Schneider though. With a defense like the Devils have, a goalie like Schneider will be their only way forward.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #520
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Vegas will have a plethora of of young goalies to choose from (they will be a goalie rich team)
I think this is probably where the Flames will find their goalie, through Vegas. Flames will have to give up one of Gillies, Rittich, or Parsons in exchange for a goalie who can play now.

Vegas will make the deal as they will need not only goalies for the now, but also goalies down the road. I could see Vegas taking both Grubauer and Raanta and trading one of them for one of the Flames young goalie prospects.

Most teams have goaltending depth projected for the next 5 years. Vegas will need to build that projection and will need guys like Gillies and Parsons.