Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #1061
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Even fishing all the balls you shoot in the water?
I hit my balls religously - down the straight and narrow
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #1062
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Waiting sucks no doubt about it. But you have to know what you're getting yourself into. If your constantly playing between 11am and 2pm you are kind of getting what you deserve. Personally I either play within the first hour of the tee sheet and twilight. It's rare that I ever run into any big wait times and rarely see a round over 4 hrs.
It shouldn't have to be that way. The problem from what I hear is courses are having a hard time finding people to marshall. It's a thankless job where you get dumped on by golfers complaining about slow play and those who think paying for green fees gives them the right to play at whatever pace they want.

True story: Some years ago my late father was a marshall for a course in Phoenix where my parents had a winter home. Dad comes home one day and mother tells him he needs to find another course to marshall. He asks why and she tells him that everyone in the gated community hates him. But...but... i'm just doing my job and she said that's the problem. So he went down the road and marshalled another course.

Quote:
On another note, I have trouble understanding people that are on a mission to play as fast as possible. Are you guys playing at a pace in which you aren't removing pins for putts and have a 6' gimme range? Just based on some of the times people have posted in this thread it's the only way I could see it ever happening. What's the big rush and why is there a massive sense of pride in playing a round in under 3 hours? As long as you aren't holding anyone up take a breather and enjoy yourself.
It's not about playing as fast as possible or gimmie putts and yes you can still enjoy the game. The guys I play with we all walk and play ready golf. First one ready to hit tees off. We don't spend 15 minutes looking for lost balls and finally we don't spend 5 minutes sizing up the green for each one of our putts.

Finally slow play where you are constantly waiting can throw you off your game and disrupt your rythym.

Last edited by Dion; 05-22-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #1063
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with 4.5 hours for a round. It's when it gets close to 5 that starts to become annoying.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #1064
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Waiting sucks no doubt about it. But you have to know what you're getting yourself into.
Most people do, that's why golf is in decline and will continue to be going forward. It's one of the big problems golf needs to solve, a weekend tee time is when most people are available, and when you factor in the commute to and from the golf course into the total time it takes to commit to golf, you're looking at generally 5 hours at a minimum and closer to 6. That's a lot of time to give up, let alone time you have to pay to give up.

Quote:
On another note, I have trouble understanding people that are on a mission to play as fast as possible. Are you guys playing at a pace in which you aren't removing pins for putts and have a 6' gimme range? Just based on some of the times people have posted in this thread it's the only way I could see it ever happening. What's the big rush and why is there a massive sense of pride in playing a round in under 3 hours? As long as you aren't holding anyone up take a breather and enjoy yourself.
I don't think it's about trying to play as fast as possible, just that if you play ready golf and remember you aren't even close to a PGA level player so having a PGA level player pre-shot routine is ridiculous, golf should be easily playable in less than 3.5 hours. I just can't understand not wanting to play at a pace that keeps you in rhythm rather than standing around so much between shots analyzing, or hopelessly looking for a lost ball you are unlikely to find. Play ready golf, be at your ball ready to hit and not standing around at one guys ball watching everyone hit individually, have a reasonable pre-shot routine, don't take forever to find one likely lost ball etc...It's very doable and if everyone plays faster, everyone will have more enjoyable rounds.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #1065
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm fine with 4.5 hours for a round. It's when it gets close to 5 that starts to become annoying.
That's okay, but you have to recognize that most people aren't, for the many great reasons that Dion and the Senator shared. What is it that takes you so long to play a round of golf?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #1066
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played with our head pro on Sunday, and he said he is pushing the marshals this year, that they can't let anyone go over 4:15.
It says somewhere in the fine print, that you are expected to play in 4 hours.
Dion is right though, most marshals are retirees, more concerned with looking for golf balls, rather than harassing people to keep the pace.
Thats why I said at private courses you can, as the marshals will definitely keep you moving and if you don't, you are reported and written up.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #1067
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a member at a private course and I'm pretty sure our marshall slows down the pace. He's a guy who wants to talk with everyone. He gets so many complaints but for some reason is brought back every summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #1068
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Honest question - Do the Private courses in Calgary have marshalls? Definitely not at mine, and haven't seen any elsewhere in town. But I don't get around to the others as much as I used to.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #1069
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect this year with the decline in golf players in the Calgary area Marshalls will be even more leniant.

Can't piss off the people paying to keep your lights on since you can't sell enough memberships anymore.

On a side note, I think golf courses shoot themselves in the foot too often. We played Water Valley yesterday morning and we walked. Ended up playing the round in 3:50 which is perfect. Yet there 2 groups of 2 in front of us walking and 1 group of 2 carting behind us. The guys running the tee sheet need to be matching these pairs up or moving a 2 in front of a 4 to limit complaining.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #1070
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it was 2, 2, 4, 2?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #1071
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it was 2, 2, 4, 2?
Yup. With a space in front of the first 2 then I think 4's behind the 3rd 2.

At his point when I golf, I don't care about anyone else anymore. I'll play the speed I play at regardless if people complain. If I am paying a ton of money to play I am not going to rush because of a "member".

Last edited by Weitz; 05-23-2017 at 09:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #1072
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's another golf course dilemma, I know at our course, the past few years, there have been some members that would book 4, and then show up as a 2, because they didn't want to play with people they didn't know. I know our pro has been saying for years, that there would be some sort of penalty this year, but... not sure if he has done anything about it.
He said they were going to be taking CC on weekends now, for public, and if you show up with 2 when you book a 4, you only get one TTime reimbursed, something like that.
If people book as 4 and show up as 2, in primetime, they should be held back for the next 2some to be matched up with.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #1073
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delacour was 3:45 with a 10:30am tee time on Friday. That's about average for that course. I

Valley Ridge was 4 hours with a 2:06 tee time on Sunday. Fastest round I can remember ever playing there, by a wide margin.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #1074
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Delacour was 3:45 with a 10:30am tee time on Friday. That's about average for that course. I

Valley Ridge was 4 hours with a 2:06 tee time on Sunday. Fastest round I can remember ever playing there, by a wide margin.
Played Valley ridge a few times this year already, Under 4 hours for all the rounds. I was pretty shocked to be honest. Almost wonder if they widened their tee times.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #1075
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate folks that book for four just to be alone as a twosome - I'd like to ask them if they know they are stealing money from the course when they do that.

courses should be more diligent about charging the person that made the booking.

out of curiousity, what is the feeling with respect to what is the right amount of time that a round should last if you are teeing off mid-day? is it 3.5 to 4 hours?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #1076
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough for a course to charge for people not to show up though. I have had courses try that when 1 or 2 people have to bail last minute due to family things (kids sick or something).

We told the course they had the option to have 2 of us pay and play or no one pay to play so they waived the "fee". I'm sure most people would go that route.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #1077
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My dad was a member at Carnmoney last year and they didnt have marshals but a time card. You had to punch in when you started, at the turn and then when you finished. They would warn and then fine the slow players. I think its up to the marshal and the staff when you check in to inform you of pace of play and then have marshal out there enforcing it. Have the times on your cart when you tee off and then they can track you.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #1078
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It's tough for a course to charge for people not to show up though. I have had courses try that when 1 or 2 people have to bail last minute due to family things (kids sick or something).

We told the course they had the option to have 2 of us pay and play or no one pay to play so they waived the "fee". I'm sure most people would go that route.
How about they give you a voucher, for the other 1 or 2 with the sick kids?
I mean, how often do they hear that lame excuse?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #1079
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
My dad was a member at Carnmoney last year and they didnt have marshals but a time card. You had to punch in when you started, at the turn and then when you finished. They would warn and then fine the slow players. I think its up to the marshal and the staff when you check in to inform you of pace of play and then have marshal out there enforcing it. Have the times on your cart when you tee off and then they can track you.
actually, the courses with GPS on the carts can track you through that, they could even send you a message to speed up, if they wanted.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #1080
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't disagree with any of the points made in this thread regarding slow play. I think you guys are still in a mind set of challenging the current system that exists at most courses and trying to find a solution. I respect that.

I think for me I have just simply given up and accept that golf will very likely always be the way it is now. Unfortunate but thats my motivation to play the tee sheet early and late.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow