Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #41
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, big change to Plex today - Smart TV apps are free now.

our Android TV and smart TV apps are available to everyone absolutely free, joining the ranks of our other free big screen apps like Roku, Tivo, Chromecast, and Xbox 360!

So glad I didn't spring for a Plex Pass last month just for this!
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #42
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Plex now officially available on Apple TV!! The new Apple TV that is!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #43
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Plex now officially available on Apple TV!! The new Apple TV that is!
If someone has this please post your feedback. I have 3 Roku's and was going to buy a fourth but might try an Apple tv now that Plex is available
Old 11-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #44
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
If someone has this please post your feedback. I have 3 Roku's and was going to buy a fourth but might try an Apple tv now that Plex is available
Installed and works as expected. Makes the Apple TV infinitely more useful.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #45
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's actually a totally different Plex experience. Looks completely at home on the AppleTV. Pulls in additional metadata like RottenTomatoes scores & reviews, trailers, etc. Good support for the remote trackpad.

Haven't tried channels yet, and that's a biggie.

I quite liked the default Plex UI so it was a bit jarring at first, but it's completely intuitive so far. I'm going to give it a few days before I retire my RasPlex box & Roku 3, but I'm super impressed for a 1.0 release.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm a fan of the newer Plex look, but man do I ever prefer this:
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #47
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Right now I've got a WD Live TV Hub (1TB storage) that I add my media to and from there I stream it around the house to WD Live boxes. I don't really like this setup anymore because rewinding/fast forward doesn't work the greatest, sometimes streaming will just stop (maybe there's not enough power on the "server" or "client" to handle the transcoding"), etc.

What are my options. I was thinking about just buying a used computer on Kijiji, leaving it in the basement, and using that as a Plex server and putting Plex clients around the house. Is that a typical solution? What are my options in terms of Plex clients. I was thinking of buying two Apple TVs but they're fairly expensive. I'd just like something that works and something I don't have to worry about too much.

Server: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1115612950
Client: ???
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #48
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
What are my options. I was thinking about just buying a used computer on Kijiji, leaving it in the basement, and using that as a Plex server and putting Plex clients around the house. Is that a typical solution? What are my options in terms of Plex clients. I was thinking of buying two Apple TVs but they're fairly expensive. I'd just like something that works and something I don't have to worry about too much.

Plex pretty much works on everything. Smart TV's, All smart boxes, some Blue ray players. If you want to do things on the cheap but want good functionality (I have an apple Bias) Get a computer or NAS storage solution buy 1 new apple tv for your main entertainment space. By cheap old apple tv's for everywhere else. If you have an Iphone, Ipod touch, Ipad you then can just use airplay from those to the older apple tv's. It works very well and you can find an old iphone or ipod touch for $100.00

Last edited by fundmark19; 11-12-2015 at 01:32 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #49
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, it's typical. Same setup as me.

Roku 3 is a good, pretty cheap client. But IMO the best overall client possible is a Raspberry Pi 2 running Rasplex. I built mine for under $50 and it runs the full-featured Plex Home Theater flawlessly.

There are also Plex clients available for a lot of Smart TVs. My Vizio set has a native Plex client (although it doesn't support Direct Play).

Old 11-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #50
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know if Plex for Apple TV supports Direct Play? There's no option for it in the quality settings...

Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #51
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Does anyone know if Plex for Apple TV supports Direct Play? There's no option for it in the quality settings...
Yes it does, under settings, advanced
Old 11-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #52
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those that are curious I ended up getting a T3500 with 5TB of storage and Plex. For our main TV we're just using a Roku 2 as the client and the other TVs in the house are smarter TVs so they have Plex apps. This solution, so far, is way better than my WD Live TV hub + WD Live mini boxes around the house.

Those Plex channels that were mentioned earlier are great. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any search so you have to page through a few pages to find some shows.

Last edited by Meelapo; 11-15-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #53
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Those Plex channels that were mentioned earlier are great. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any search so you have to page through a few pages to find some shows.
Plex removed the ability to search with their newest update. Go to the Roku site and download Plex classic and your search well return
Old 11-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #54
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Roku 2 can't pass through DTS-MA or Dolby True HD so all of my BR rips don't work. The WD Live can do it for some reason so I'll just stick with that for now. I just connect to the Plex server using DNLA (I assume) so the interface isn't that great. I'll need to come up with a new solution. Anyone know of a cheap box I can stick under the TV that can provide me with a Plex-like interface, audio passthrough, and the ability to have apps (i.e. Netflix)?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #55
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Roku 2 can't pass through DTS-MA or Dolby True HD so all of my BR rips don't work. The WD Live can do it for some reason so I'll just stick with that for now. I just connect to the Plex server using DNLA (I assume) so the interface isn't that great. I'll need to come up with a new solution. Anyone know of a cheap box I can stick under the TV that can provide me with a Plex-like interface, audio passthrough, and the ability to have apps (i.e. Netflix)?
I own 3 Roku 3s and have zero issues with BRRIPs and my parents also stream from my server on their Roku 2 with no sound issues. Perhaps one of the settings are not properly configured on the Roku.

Just noticed you were looking for DTHD. The Roku does not support that, DTS and Dolby digital only.

Last edited by Diemenz; 11-16-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #56
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I own 3 Roku 3s and have zero issues with BRRIPs and my parents also stream from my server on their Roku 2 with no sound issues. Perhaps one of the settings are not properly configured on the Roku.

Just noticed you were looking for DTHD. The Roku does not support that, DTS and Dolby digital only.
Yep. If it was just Dolby Digital and DTS then I would be made-in-the-shade but I'd like to have the ability to do the lossless audio. I'm starting to lean towards getting a device like the Gigabyte BRIX. It seems to do everything I want and I'll probably end up going with Kodi as the interface and getting the Plex server addon. The only "issue" here is that the OS that comes with it (Windows 8.1) has some sort of problem passing through DTS-MA and TrueHD. Lots of research to go!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #57
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Wow I just started using Plex after a few years away, I had no idea about the channels, cant wait to set that up.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #58
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hmm seems all the links are gone, guessing no more unsupported apps?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #59
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Hmm seems all the links are gone, guessing no more unsupported apps?
You can install the SSPlex bundle directly into the plugins folder. It's available on github with instructions.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #60
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nevermind.

Last edited by jeep991; 11-21-2015 at 11:19 AM.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote