Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [Confirmed] Danny Taylor joins Färjestad

Link: http://www.farjestadbk.se/artikel/37929/

Danny Taylor has decided to move on to play with Färjestad of the SEL. With Feaster saying Ortio is ready for the AHL, Brossoit turning pro and Berra coming over next season, there really was no room for him in the organization.

But that doesn't mean he wasn't one hell of an AHL goalie. The Heat would be struggling to get out of last place in the league if it weren't for him these last couple of seasons.

Best of luck in Sweden Danny

NOTE: Bonus song sung by Taylor the Impaler about being sent down to the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. It's hilarious: http://www.jtbourne.com/special-treat-ahlechl-song/
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope he can pull a Tim Thomas and develop his game there and make an NHL comeback.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drawing conclusions from these quotes, sounds as though Taylor is quite miffed at the Flames organization.

Quote:
"I wanted to be back with Calgary, but there was no opportunity there, to be honest," Taylor told The News.

"When we talked about a deal with them, they said they couldn't do anything right now. It's kind of disappointing after the year I had."
Quote:
"It's so frustrating," Taylor said. "It's like, what else do I have to do to be back in the organization?

"You can't force an opportunity with words, you can only do it with play, and I thought I did that. They just decided to go a different direction."
http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/208554661.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
NomNomNom
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I remember the first game Taylor laced em up for the Flames, all I can remember thinking was how freakin' small he made himself look in net. It was all I could concentrate on for the whole game.

Anyways, best of luck with the Scandinavian chicks Danny.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Drawing conclusions from these quotes, sounds as though Taylor is quite miffed at the Flames organization.

http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/208554661.html
It sounds like he believes he can be an NHL goalie but then bails to Europe before having the chance to sign on with another team. Odd.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
It sounds like he believes he can be an NHL goalie but then bails to Europe before having the chance to sign on with another team. Odd.
I believe he's a new dad so he's probably looking for more security with guaranteed money. If he waits around the Swedish deal may no longer be there.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wish him the best, I had hoped he would have been given another shot down the stretch there.

I could think of a worse life than playing hockey in Sweden... ;D
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
I remember the first game Taylor laced em up for the Flames, all I can remember thinking was how freakin' small he made himself look in net. It was all I could concentrate on for the whole game.
I can only remember how bad his glove hand seemed to be. It was frightening to see him in net. He didn't look like an NHL goalie in his short stint here. Maybe he'll show something different in Sweden.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked Taylor. He never really did get a legit shot with the Flames, but I'm sure there are reasons for that.

With Ortio coming over is there any room even for Ramo?

So far it's MacDonald, Berra, Ortio, Brossoit.

Brossoit is pretty much a lock for the AHL. I would think Ortio is as well.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I liked Taylor. He never really did get a legit shot with the Flames, but I'm sure there are reasons for that.

With Ortio coming over is there any room even for Ramo?

So far it's MacDonald, Berra, Ortio, Brossoit.

Brossoit is pretty much a lock for the AHL. I would think Ortio is as well.
At this point, I'd guess it's penciled in as:

Ramo and MacDonald as 1A/1B in Calgary
Berra and Ortio as 1/2 in Abbotsford
Brossoit in Utah (or whatever Calgary's ECHL affiliate is next season)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Taylor played well in the AHL but good for the Flames to move on. We need the spots to develop legitamit prospects not have spots for career AHLers.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good luck to him, sincerely.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Taylor played well in the AHL but good for the Flames to move on. We need the spots to develop legitamit prospects not have spots for career AHLers.
That's where I was personally torn.

On the one hand, like you said, I want the Flames to develop goalie prospects first and foremost. I would love nothing more than for Ortio, Berra or Brossoit to become the future Flames starter.

On the other hand, they just let an elite AHL goalie go. A goalie who stole so many games for them over the past two years, it's crazy. A winning environment is very much key for development.

Now, that's not to say that Ortio, Berra or Brossoit can't win the Heat some games, but Taylor was guaranteed to be able to.

At this juncture in the Flames history though, I'd prefer the first option. The second option is fine for a team like, say, the Blackhawks or Penguins - not the Flames.

Good luck to Danny in Sweden.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Pierre that it is tough letting go of a winner. At this point, the Flames are essentially throwing mud against a wall and need as many goalies getting game experience as possible to see if any of them are legit NHLers. The Flames have decided that they don't think Taylor looks like an NHLer and it is better to open up the position to see what they have with Berra, Ortio, Brossoit, etc. They may not win as many games but they might just find an NHLer instead.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't be the only one who keeps glancing and reading the thread as "Danny Tanner".....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
That's where I was personally torn.

On the one hand, like you said, I want the Flames to develop goalie prospects first and foremost. I would love nothing more than for Ortio, Berra or Brossoit to become the future Flames starter.

On the other hand, they just let an elite AHL goalie go. A goalie who stole so many games for them over the past two years, it's crazy. A winning environment is very much key for development.

Now, that's not to say that Ortio, Berra or Brossoit can't win the Heat some games, but Taylor was guaranteed to be able to.

At this juncture in the Flames history though, I'd prefer the first option. The second option is fine for a team like, say, the Blackhawks or Penguins - not the Flames.

Good luck to Danny in Sweden.
I hear you, PMM, but the Flames need to develop NHL goalies. And any real candidate for the NHL is going to be able to win regularly in the AHL first.

Plus, if you are developing a lot of kids in the minors at the same time, they get confident playing together (see Ottawa as one of many examples). I want our kids to be playing with the same goalies that they are going to eventually be playing with in Calgary, developing confidence - and winning - together.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My guess is that the only for sure NHL guy is Macdonald, and he is only for sure in a 1A\1B role.

I think it will be between Ramo and Berra for the other NHL spot. The only caveat to that is if Ramo is willing to come over to be relegated to the AHL. I just don't think a spot with the flames should be gift wrapped to Ramo, especially with the promise that Berra has shown.

Ortio? I have no idea. He seems destined for the AHL but if some of the younger hotshots outplay him, I don't think it is a stretch that he would end up somewhere else.

On a side note, I think it is a forgone conclusions that Irving is done with the flames. I think that really is too bad. I think he has the skillset and the attitude\demeanor to succeed in the NHL. It would not surprise me in the lease to see him resurface a few years down the road as a full time NHLer for another club.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat , sel , taylor