Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Weird problem with Telus land line.

Not sure if anybody has ever had thi problems, but I have Telus Optik TV, internet, and home phone. Everything seems to work except the home phone, which is acting a bit odd. I can dial the phones from my cell phone and they'll ring and show the caller id, but I can't answer the call from any of the landlines in my house. I have an old phone that I plugged in at the splitter for the phone / data and I still couldn't get a dialtone from the phone, even though my internet is working perfectly.

Apparently it did this intermittently yesterday and tonight it hasn't worked at all.

Any thoughts before I call Telus and wait on hold for hours?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Unplug ALL of your land lines. Then plug them in one at a time; starting with your most reliable phone at a line that Telus/AGT installed.

I've had this happen before. Once the guilty product was a stand alone caller ID box, the other time a cheap cordless phone.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Unplug ALL of your land lines. Then plug them in one at a time; starting with your most reliable phone at a line that Telus/AGT installed.

I've had this happen before. Once the guilty product was a stand alone caller ID box, the other time a cheap cordless phone.
Agreed. It's all about the Ringer Equivalance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Thanks. I have tried that.. I only have 2 cordless phone base stations and a fax machine plugged in.

I unplugged the wires from the COMTEXT splitter that Telus installed that feeds all of the phone lines in my house and plugged our fax machine directly into it (it has a handset). That should have eliminated any of the phone jacks or the wiring in the house as being the cuprit. I can't get any further upstream of the problem without leaving the house (I can see the conduit that that wires come in from outside before it enters that splitter). I haven't ruled out this splitter device, but that's the only component between the phone lines and the incoming lines. I suppose I could wire a phone directly to the lines coming into the house, but at this point it seems like a Telus issue.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This has nothing to do with land lines, but is it just me or is Telus' cellular coverage just terrible. Everywhere I go I swear I get if I'm lucky 2 bars.

Also, as for the topic at hand, call technical support.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sounds like a tip open....

Youll have to get a tech sent out. You can try and open the box on the outside of the house, theres a test jack in there. If no dial tone there... its a TELUS issue.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Sounds like a tip open....

Youll have to get a tech sent out. You can try and open the box on the outside of the house, theres a test jack in there. If no dial tone there... its a TELUS issue.
Thanks. Looks like a tech will come by tomorrow morning. I will update with the results.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ya if youre unable to get dial tone, yet the phones ring... one side (usually the tip) is open. The internet will actually still work (with varying speeds). Let me know what the techs finds.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to provide some closure, it appears that the problem was a disconnected wire somewhere upstream of even the house.

Also learned (and I am not sure how valid or invalid this is) but having the cable plugged in through the the surge-protector filter was alleged to be causing some intermittent issues with our TV (losing signal, even scrambly looking picture at times).
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ya those surge protectors arent ideal, especially with TV. Also arent necessary as theres one in the NID which is designed for high bandwidth applications.