Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Final Fantasy at 73 is blasphemy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favorite game once upon a time.

Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be interested to see where jade empire ends up (there's a character in the articles header, so I figured it should be on the list). That was one of my favorite games I've ever played.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #44
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ah man, I remember Guardians Crusade I loved that game.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #45
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Fallout 1,2,3
Deus Ex 1,3
Totally think Fallout 1 will be in the top 10. Fallout 2 was just like add-on content where they fixed a lot of the interface issues from FO1. Still an amazing game, but it didn't have the same feel to it for me, but maybe that was just me.

As far as Deus Ex, did the new one really go back to the quality of the original? I've pretty much refused to consider it after playing the demo of Deus Ex 2 and seeing how much they had ruined that game.

Also, anyone think Arcanum will make the list?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #46
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with HP on Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 2.

Baldur's Gate 2 still has the best implemented party system for combat - the amount of strategy to be employed by mages hasn't been rivaled since.

And Fallout 2's ending in terms of providing an epilogue where you felt like your journey had had an effect on the world should be an example for every RPG, but apparently isn't as it's a simple mechanic to implement.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #47
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Totally think Fallout 1 will be in the top 10. Fallout 2 was just like add-on content where they fixed a lot of the interface issues from FO1. Still an amazing game, but it didn't have the same feel to it for me, but maybe that was just me.

As far as Deus Ex, did the new one really go back to the quality of the original? I've pretty much refused to consider it after playing the demo of Deus Ex 2 and seeing how much they had ruined that game.

DXHR (DX3) was made by a totally different studio than 2/Invisible War. I didn't play/see much of Invisible War, but I thought DXHR was great. I don't expect it to be top 10 or anything, but more somewhere in the middle of the pack. DX1 would still rank higher, I think.

I wonder if Xenosaga will make it. That series was a letdown (music aside).
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #48
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post

Oh, man! To me, Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1 what Baldur's Gate 2 was to Baldur's Gate 1. Bigger, meaner, more satisfying, and just more epic and bettererer all around. Both great games, though, and Fallout 1 might even get ranked ahead of 2 just because of the way it revolutionized CRPGs.

I think Arcanum is a lock to make the list, considering some of the games that have already been listed. I hope Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines gets up there, as well. Too bad Troika had to go under, they were a great CRPG studio, minus all the bugs.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #49
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good to see Chrono Cross on the list. I owned that game, but I don't seem to remember a lot of other people owning it, so I figured it was a commercial flop.

Hmm..never played FFX. Is it actually that good that it comes ahead of FF8, 9 and Kingdom Hearts?

Hm... I wonder if any of the King's Quest and Quest for Glory count as RPGs... or better yet, Legend of the Red Dragon lol.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #50
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where it will end up but I wish I could go back in time and play Knights of the Old Republic for the first time again, loved that game. Also a big fan of Dragon Age Origins.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #51
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is no way that FF10 should be ahead of FF9. FF9 was the last "old school" FF. I've played 9 through 3 times. FF10 I didn't finish....

I remember when FF2 came out and I was irate because FF1 was so good I thought it was blasphemous to ruin the title of "FINAL Fantasy". "I thought FINAL meant FINAL as in YOU CAN'T TOP THIS- EVER!". In the end I was glad I was wrong as 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 were all awesome titles (though obviously I didn't play them in that order since they were not released in that order).

My favorite RPG of all time: FFT. Well, it and BG are 1 and 1a and it depends on the day which is on top. And as much as it was a commercial flop, I enjoyed "Legend of Dragoon" for the PS1.

Dragon Quest 7 should be higher IMO.... Dragon Quest 8 will be much higher. I'm currently playing DQ 4.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #52
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Hm... I wonder if any of the King's Quest and Quest for Glory count as RPGs... or better yet, Legend of the Red Dragon lol.
I think they might fall under adventure games, though quest for glory definitely seems like a hybrid adventure/RPG.

I think some of these games are hard to compare, can you really compare games like Suikoden, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy to the new Fallout Games, or Mass Effect (are these considered RPG or FPS?)

I wonder if that list will have any not so famous games like Darklands?
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad Chrono Cross isn't ranked higher. IMO, that was a pretty underrated game, and I actually thought it was better than Chrono Trigger. It also had one of my favorite musical scores for it's opening of all time.

I hope Xenogears gets a shoutout. It's my favorite JRPG of all time. For all it's gameplay flaws, that game had a pretty epic story.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #54
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
It's too bad Chrono Cross isn't ranked higher. IMO, that was a pretty underrated game, and I actually thought it was better than Chrono Trigger. It also had one of my favorite musical scores for it's opening of all time.
I really liked the ending theme as well. Actually I used to know how to play it on guitar. It was one of the first songs on my list to learn when I started playing guitar, about 6-7 years after the original release of the game heh. I still prefer CT, but CC was definitely awesome as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #55
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only played a few RPG's, but I am hoping to see Final Fantasy Tactics in the top 10. Loved that game.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #56
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
There is no way that FF10 should be ahead of FF9. FF9 was the last "old school" FF. I've played 9 through 3 times. FF10 I didn't finish....

I remember when FF2 came out and I was irate because FF1 was so good I thought it was blasphemous to ruin the title of "FINAL Fantasy". "I thought FINAL meant FINAL as in YOU CAN'T TOP THIS- EVER!". In the end I was glad I was wrong as 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 were all awesome titles (though obviously I didn't play them in that order since they were not released in that order).

My favorite RPG of all time: FFT. Well, it and BG are 1 and 1a and it depends on the day which is on top. And as much as it was a commercial flop, I enjoyed "Legend of Dragoon" for the PS1.

Dragon Quest 7 should be higher IMO.... Dragon Quest 8 will be much higher. I'm currently playing DQ 4.
Hrmm maybe I need to try 9. FF3 was the last one I enjoyed of the series. I played FFV for GBA, it was good... but not nearly as good as 3. I tried 7, a few times, and just couldn't get into it. I also couldn't get into any Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc.. I think MMO's ruined single player games for me.

I can still go and re play the classics, X-Com, SF 1/2, all the Ogre Battles/Tactics Ogre, Secret of Mana etc.. and just love them. So I always just assumed there was a drop off in quality. I think it is also because I just love the old school format, and a lot of people messed with success. It seems that the hand held device has stayed true to this though.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #57
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

I hope Xenogears gets a shoutout. It's my favorite JRPG of all time. For all it's gameplay flaws, that game had a pretty epic story.

Frog's theme says hi!

The only theme that I found could give Frog a run for his money... Cyan from FF3. I remember just walking around his castle so I could listen to his theme lol..

And this music is forever burned into my skull..

Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #59
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Good to see Chrono Cross on the list. I owned that game, but I don't seem to remember a lot of other people owning it, so I figured it was a commercial flop.

Hmm..never played FFX. Is it actually that good that it comes ahead of FF8, 9 and Kingdom Hearts?

Overall I thought CC was pretty disappointing. I liked how you could get a ton of different characters ala Suikoden, but they did very little in developing backstory for each of them and they took out what made Crono Trigger's battle system so awesome - double and triple combos.

I think there were only 3 combos who could do triples in the whole game. And like 20 double combos. And like 100 characters, so the synergies didn't exist like they used to. Most characters didn't synergize with eachother (not even one), which was stupid. I don't even think you could get the majority of the characters on the first clear through the game anways. You had to do a new game +.

At least in Trigger you could have multiple double combos for the same characters.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #60
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

BTW Vandal Hearts was the original tactical based RPG, which came out before FFT. Absolutely loved that game.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post: