Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why can't g/f stand on her own two feet here and fight her own battles - why are you even involved.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the big picture here? Are you bringing a Labour Relations Board complaint? Well, print all the emails and make them part of your submission. Are you planning to sue? Same thing. Keep in mind though, there isn't much money in this, unless your g/f has been with this company for years.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No idea why you haven't gone to the Police yet. Seems to me that you're going to get yourself into even more trouble. The Police may be useless sometimes, but at least give them a shot before doing all this illegal activity to find out who it is.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Why can't g/f stand on her own two feet here and fight her own battles - why are you even involved.
Sounds like it's because he witnessed a transaction they are claiming didn't happen. If he's not involved, it's her word against theirs.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I would send those emails back to everyone at her old work place.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Unrelated to the topic. You dun goofed guy died back in November.
wtf really, what happened, old age or internet rage?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I would send those emails back to everyone at her old work place.
No.

The smartest thing would be to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING and then notify the police of what is going on.

a) The company if found at fault will be dinged with harassment.
b) If your girlfriend is filing a case against the company they are likely to lose given the evidence you have provided and saved.

Remember, in a court case EVIDENCE is what matters most.

Even if its a "he said, She said" kind of action you are likely to win if it can be proven that the company was harassing you about keeping quiet.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I thought he meant the meme died down then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
For example, they know a Larry Smith whose email address is larrysmith@shaw.ca. You make a shaw email 1arrysmith@shaw.ca and send them an email that they might expect given the relationship, like "Did you see the game last night?" or "Do you want to hit up a movie this weekend?"
I'd probably advise against this. This relies on the other person being oblivious enough to the e-mail address that they mistake letters or alternative spellings of friends for the original. If they catch it, you expose the fact that someone is digging for information from them.

In vague terms, what is the other guy's e-mail like? If it seems pretty generic, it is also possible that they invented an account purely for the purpose of sending these e-mails.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
CISSP
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
According to questionable sources. A heart attack.

Search Gene Leonhardt Dead on Google

Last edited by CISSP; 01-26-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Citation
CISSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #30
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
You do understand the concept of the boyfriend, girlfriend relationship, yes? If my girlfriend were let go from work unlawfully and was receiving threatening e-mails, you'd better believe I'd be involved.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #31
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

either go to police/lawyer or reply with pictures of your poop.

(since people else already gave you good advice)
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #32
CISSP
Draft Pick

Quote:
Haven't been in many relationships have you?

For OP:
The best advice is what has been said by many already. Go to the police, contact a lawyer and document everything.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #33
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, I'm going to tell you exactly what's going on here...

In total, there are around 7 messages that this person has sent to my inbox. In all six, I replied back. See, at first I was really sure who it was, then after a couple emails, I was completely unsure.

I decided to mess around with whoever it was.

They said that if I left my girlfriend and completely shut her out of my life, that they would get me a job in Media... Since I'm in school for Radio, it would be a big thing for me.

I was never going to believe them, so I sort of played along with them. I told them that I wasn't talking to her and that we needed to meet to discuss compensation. Then at the last possible minute, I chickened out and decided to call the whole thing off. To be honest, I was a little scared to see who i'd be meeting..

I told them that I wasn't going to respond to any more messages. They wrote back that they didn't believe me and were going to keep an eye out on me..

I really want to know who is doing this without going to the cops. We haven't gone ahead with any wrongful dismissal because my GF can't afford a lawyer at the moment.. Once she can, then she will be taking these people for what she's owed.. Now if it was just a simple job, with simple pay, we wouldn't bother. But she was an operations manager at a very successful Salon & Spa and was terminated unfairly.

They tried unsuccessfully to get her to quit for months, because they would have to pay her severance. She had been there for almost 9 years, so we're not talking about millions here... But it's the principal of the matter.

This company fired, humiliated and almost destroyed someones reputation to save a few bucks. (They have accused her of theft but aren't pressing charges) The whole transaction is caught on video and audio tape. I clearly had a conversation about her putting the 14 dollar item on her account at work. Someone went into the system and deleted the item, therefore giving them cause to fire her without severance.

Yes, I know, pretty far fetched right?

If you're a lawyer and you're reading this, send me a PM, I'd like to know our chances

So, that's why I want to find out exactly who is writing these emails.. Because I want to confront them myself... Then sue there ass in court.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #34
CISSP
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post
Ok, I'm going to tell you exactly what's going on here...

In total, there are around 7 messages that this person has sent to my inbox. In all six, I replied back. See, at first I was really sure who it was, then after a couple emails, I was completely unsure.

I decided to mess around with whoever it was.

They said that if I left my girlfriend and completely shut her out of my life, that they would get me a job in Media... Since I'm in school for Radio, it would be a big thing for me.

I was never going to believe them, so I sort of played along with them. I told them that I wasn't talking to her and that we needed to meet to discuss compensation. Then at the last possible minute, I chickened out and decided to call the whole thing off. To be honest, I was a little scared to see who i'd be meeting..

I told them that I wasn't going to respond to any more messages. They wrote back that they didn't believe me and were going to keep an eye out on me..

I really want to know who is doing this without going to the cops. We haven't gone ahead with any wrongful dismissal because my GF can't afford a lawyer at the moment.. Once she can, then she will be taking these people for what she's owed.. Now if it was just a simple job, with simple pay, we wouldn't bother. But she was an operations manager at a very successful Salon & Spa and was terminated unfairly.

They tried unsuccessfully to get her to quit for months, because they would have to pay her severance. She had been there for almost 9 years, so we're not talking about millions here... But it's the principal of the matter.

This company fired, humiliated and almost destroyed someones reputation to save a few bucks. (They have accused her of theft but aren't pressing charges) The whole transaction is caught on video and audio tape. I clearly had a conversation about her putting the 14 dollar item on her account at work. Someone went into the system and deleted the item, therefore giving them cause to fire her without severance.

Yes, I know, pretty far fetched right?

If you're a lawyer and you're reading this, send me a PM, I'd like to know our chances

So, that's why I want to find out exactly who is writing these emails.. Because I want to confront them myself... Then sue there ass in court.
You shouldn't be afraid of going to the cops. There really is no legal way of getting their names yourself short of asking the people emailing you to be especially forthcoming.

Technically, there are ways to get access to their addresses, but these methods are far from legal. You really are best off going to the cops about this harassment. If the people you believe to be harassing you are willing to go as far as to attempt a larger cover up and bribe individuals, then the issues at hand could quickly tip into the dangerous area.

If you are 100% certain that the facts in this situation come up in your favour (GF is unjustly terminated, Company is covering it up, You have clear cut evidence) then you shouldn't be wary of going to cops. You should also check up on some local pro-bono legal clinics. I'm sure they'll steer you right to the police as well.

The type of harassment you are describing, and the type of people you seem to be dealing with seem rather unsavory, and the last thing you want to do is be dealing with them by yourself through unofficial channels.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #35
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

It's probably your girlfriend testing you, seeing if you'd sell her out for a media job.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #36
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
You do understand the concept of the boyfriend, girlfriend relationship, yes? If my girlfriend were let go from work unlawfully and was receiving threatening e-mails, you'd better believe I'd be involved.
Read the OP's further details - he's the one responding to these emails and making a bad situation worse, and now contemplating below-board means of finding the perpetrator "for the principle of the matter". If the GF has a case for wrongful dismissal, it's lawyer time. If the emails are genuinely threatening, its police time.

But corresponding and trying to track down these people via email isn't helping anyone. If the GF needs justice done, she's the one that needs to go an initiate with the lawer, it was her job. Especially if the OP was a witness - he's completely screwing up his ability to be a credible testimony if required. That's what I meant about her fighting her own battles.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 01-27-2012 at 09:40 AM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.sla.ucalgary.ca/
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Read the OP's further details - he's the one responding to these emails and making a bad situation worse, and now contemplating below-board means of finding the perpetrator "for the principle of the matter". If the GF has a case for wrongful dismissal, it's lawyer time. If the emails are genuinely threatening, its police time.

But corresponding and trying to track down these people via email isn't helping anyone. If the GF needs justice done, she's the one that needs to go an initiate with the lawer, it was her job. Especially if the OP was a witness - he's completely screwing up his ability to be a credible testimony if required. That's what I meant about her fighting her own battles.
Personally, I would respond cryptically and lead the person on at the other end until I collected a real good incriminating mountain of e-mails, THEN go to the authorities. Better to have lots of threatening e-mails than only one, I say!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Personally, I would respond cryptically and lead the person on at the other end until I collected a real good incriminating mountain of e-mails, THEN go to the authorities. Better to have lots of threatening e-mails than only one, I say!
And what exactly is the criminal code offence that could be investigated here? I can't see one.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
And what exactly is the criminal code offence that could be investigated here? I can't see one.
Yeah, well, I hadn't read his "further" post before putting that up. I had assumed threatening actually meant something vicious.