Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher+May 17 2005, 02:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flames Draft Watcher @ May 17 2005, 02:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MrMastodonFarm@May 17 2005, 07:45 PM
They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now.
I'd suggest that Zelda and Metroid were the true flagship games of the Gamecube.
[/b][/quote]
I don't know, I've never played the Gamecude. Are they?

The face of Mario is still the face of Nintendo though, that was my point. Mario isn't exactly as popular with the kids as he used to be now is he?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #22
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mario 2 does suck.

I've played all three systems, GC, is what I enjoy the most. Most fun games.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #23
Calgary Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ZzzzzZZzzzzZZz Nintendo is still around? Gamecube was the last Nintendo system I will ever buy. Best paper weight $200 could buy.
Calgary Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #24
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gamecube has the simplicty factor to it. If a bunch of friends want to play a multiplayer game, they don't need that 5 hours learning curve to get good at the game. Thats why those Mario Karts, Smash Brothers, Mario Parties make the best multiplayer games.

I just think ALOT of games on PS2 and XBox are too complex these days. I don't want to spend an entire evening at a friends house to learn the game while getting betten up by a buddy.
________
Infants Wellbutrin

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by kdogg@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM
Gamecube has the simplicty factor to it. If a bunch of friends want to play a multiplayer game, they don't need that 5 hours learning curve to get good at the game. Thats why those Mario Karts, Smash Brothers, Mario Parties make the best multiplayer games.
Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... .. hypothetically that is.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #26
spydermal
Scoring Winger

Exp:

smash bros for the game cube, is one of the funnest 4 player games around. Its half the reason i failed chem 30 and have to redue it this time around.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by hulkrogan+May 17 2005, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hulkrogan @ May 17 2005, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kdogg@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... .. hypothetically that is. [/b][/quote]
That's what the auto-handicap option is for
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #28
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher+May 17 2005, 02:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flames Draft Watcher @ May 17 2005, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by hulkrogan@May 17 2005, 09:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kdogg
Quote:
@May 17 2005, 03:17 PM

Yeah.. Unless your friends happen to have hundreds of hours of Smash Brothers experience and you last about 30 seconds... .. hypothetically that is.
That's what the auto-handicap option is for [/b][/quote]
ssssssshhhhhh........ your not suppose to tell him that.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #29
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm+May 17 2005, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrMastodonFarm @ May 17 2005, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:54 PM

Super Mario Bros -> hugely influencial and popular level based game, invented the side scroller

Super Mario 2 -> VERY different from SMB

Super Mario 3 -> VERY different from Mario 2, back to SMB roots but had way more, one of the best games ever

Is Haken German for Mario or something?

I really don't care which is less stagnent, go off to the races with that arguement if you wan't. My point was that Mario has had a hell of alot of side scrolling advertures, and updated ones too.

The difference between GTA San Andreas and GTA 3 is pretty big, they've added a HELL of alot of things.. and San Andrea and the first GTA.. well that speaks for itself. If you can claim Mario 3 is way different then Mario 1 and then say the GTA games are the exact same.. well, you're out of your gord.

Mario Bros 2 sucked by the way. [/b][/quote]
So let me get this straight - you're comparing 4th gen video games ala GTA: SA to 8-bit Mario and Mario 3? What do you think Nintendo should have done back then? Full out 3D Mario 3 on their awesome NES hardware?
At the time of it's release, SMB 3 was hearalded as one of the best games ever made... never heard those accolades thrown down on the GTA series... and as much as you like to claim the "new" GTA games have changed... they're still just run around, kill whomever you want, and do some missions to get money to buy stuff... wow. Cities get bigger each sequel, more things to buy/do, but it's still the same game.

Anyways, I wouldn't count Nintendo out yet - another rumour I hear about the Revolution is that Nintendo has developed TRUE 3D games, using technology that filmmakers such as Lucas, Jackson and Spielberg have been looking into for movies. Hardware isn't everything; I don't care if a game is the best-looking game ever, if the gameplay sucks, I won't touch it - probably one of the reasons why I love retro games so much. Even now I have more fun going back and playing old-school zelda, etc. than I do games such as GTA.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM   #30
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Bring on the 360!!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #31
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I was searching for something else and I found this thread.

I thought it was interesting to read some of the comments on nintendo, considering how well the wii is doing
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #32
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a very interesting thread considering how revolutionary the Wii really has been. Any of those who said they'd never get one break down and try it? I'd love to compare the posts in this thread to the ones in the Super Mario Galaxy thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
If that is true about being significantly underpowered compared to the XBOX360 and PS3 - it is going to get HAMMERED!

Goodbye Sega, now Nintendo. In 7 years you manage to go from owning the videogame industry to sitting on the sidelines. Unbelievable.

What is Revolutionary about that?

http://nexgenwars.com/

Last edited by Kipru; 12-16-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Kipru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #34
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did the Wii pass the Xbox? Anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #35
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a Wii, but I have palyed it lots.

I was skeptical that the controller would be too weird, and the games would be too cartoony, but once you play it you realize how fun it is. Wii has changed the market again, and brought back the fun of the game to the masses.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
When did the Wii pass the Xbox? Anyone know?
I think within the past couple months. Maybe six weeks ago.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #37
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, and now Galaxy is a completely revolutionary and new Mario game while GTAIV is just the same thing over again.

Whoever was arguing that = owned.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #38
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Haha, and now Galaxy is a completely revolutionary and new Mario game while GTAIV is just the same thing over again.

Whoever was arguing that = owned.
this is a very interesting thread...i had to read it to find out what got it bumped!

i don't think that the wii pwns the 360 or for that matter the ps3. nor do i think those consoles pwn the wii.

i have a wii, a 360 and the original xbox and they are all different experiences. for sure...the 360 games are not usually as easy to pick up as the wii games...but for me the quality and quantity of 360 games cannot be touched right now. next year? who knows?

when i play games with my kids...its usually the wii or gh2/3 on the 360. when i play games by myself or online...its the 360 easily.

its all personal...but in no way does one console pwn another. how can they when they have different specs, different games, and different intentional experiences? the 360 is intended to be a network extending device...but that is what it is good at if you see what i mean. anyways...

i predict right now that the next xbox has controllers that function like the wiimote, and the games to go with it. it if wasn't so obvious...m$ would do it on the 360.

this is to take nothing away from the wii which has been a breakthrough on many levels...but it doesn't pwn any other platform imo.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #39
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sales wise Wii 'pwns' every other platform, no denying that.

Personally, I would take Mario Galaxy over every game in the 360's line up, but that's just me. Add on Smash Bros. in February and it's no contest.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #40
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting to see that come true.

Betting on Mario is always a pretty good bet though.

I can't see how GTA will be any different besides updated graphics. If I am Microsoft or Sony I would be pretty concerned about the state of the next-gen market. Something like 45% of the games on Xbox are first person shooters with even more to come. It just doesn't show alot of growth potential.

Nintendo's business strategy seems to be the most rewarding so far. I am actually considering investing in NIntendo. They are the most profitable Japanese company right now and have the second highest market capitalization on the japanese stock exchange. Amazing turn around for them.

Wii isn't perfect either, there are still many concerns over the retention rate of teh system. I would guess that once their motion controller technology is even further refined for future systems than the market will take off even more.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote