Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #201
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
It seems if I answer 'no' to the question about whether or not I have internet through Telus it only gives me a vague answer on if I'm eligible for Optik TV.

If however, I answer 'yes' to the internet question, it tells me what level of service I am eligible for. Strange.

So I guess I'm eligible for 2HD and 1SD at the moment. I'll probably wait cause I'm so used to having 3HD streams with Shaw. I'll look back into this when our area gets upgraded.
How do you have 3 hd streams on shaw?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #202
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Sorry, poorly written. I have 2HD digital boxes and one SD digital box. So with this setup, I can watch two HD shows and record an HD show. Since I can't get this with Telus at the moment, I'll have to wait until the 3HD streams is available in our area before I consider switching over.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #203
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know of a place I can go to test drive Optik? I don't know anyone who has it.

I was going to go with Telus in the summer when I moved, but was overruled by the boss because she didn't want to lose her "@shaw.ca" email address. But that is a moot issue now.

The Shaw interface is brutal.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #204
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

update: Feb 10th, Thursday
GPON issue is solved
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #205
Otto29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I have the whole Shaw bundle (phone, net, TV) and it looks like I can get the same service for about $50 less through Telus. I heard bad things about Telus before, but does the Optik stuff make it much better?

Here is the big difference. Shaw has to charge a little more as they have no contracts. When Telus knows you are committed to pay XX number of dollars for the next three years they can offer service at a lower rate. If you are comfortable with contracts then maybe Telus is for you.

Personally I have never dealt with worst customer service in my life than Telus. I have been in IT for 15 years and dealt with them on both a professional and residential capacity and frankly can't understand why people commit to their offerings under contract.

Shaw has always given me plenty of PVR recording and with time shifting their is very rarely a time I need a third channel recorded. That in itself in enough to say no to a contract.

Shaw internet from a performance point of view is far superior to Telus DSL.

But back to your question. Do you like being locked in to a contract? The fact that you have options is what makes Shaw's customer service better. They need to keep customers happy. If Telus pisses you off 6 months into a contract...what will you do about that?

Though are my opinions.
Otto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #206
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dropped all the movie channels today, and changed my services around. Just can't afford all the movie channels for the once a month I might watch them.

Otherwise, very satisfied with Telus Optik TV, been using telusTV since very early 2009 and it just keeps impressing me.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #207
vodafone_b
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
update: Feb 10th, Thursday
GPON issue is solved
is that true whiteout, for the Calgary area? Where did you hear that? I called yesterday and the CSR said they were still having trouble... But if that's the case, that is great news. I am calling Telus tomorrow and hopefully I can push my appointment upto next week then... they suppose to call me if the GPON issues are resolved earlier but no one did today.. I guess I will try tomorrow..

What issues were they experiencing exactly whiteout? just curious.
vodafone_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #208
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

if osmoene says they're going ot call you back take it with a grain of salt. a lot of time they are well intentioned but call volumes cant allow it.

also, if you try and rebook for sooner beware it may not be possible. GPON techs aren't as available as regular tv/adsl techs. PM me your address ill see whats available for you tomorrow am
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #209
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
if osmoene says they're going ot call you back take it with a grain of salt. a lot of time they are well intentioned but call volumes cant allow it.
It's alright. I have no time line to switch so I'll wait until the next time they bark up my tree with a deal and I'll think about it again.

The person at my door didn't know what a CRT TV was and although I was in a "recently upgraded area capable of 15mbps" they couldn't tell me how many HD/SD streams I could watch, nor could they tell me about how their boxes worked when I asked if there was one specifically for non-HDTVs. For these reasons I'm not anxiously awaiting their call back.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #210
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i wouldn't let a bad salesperson sour you, but suit yourself
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #211
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
i wouldn't let a bad salesperson sour you, but suit yourself
Sure, but as a customer who isn't 100% sold on switching, the sales pitch has to be pretty good. They are trying to sell the product after all...so you'd hope they'd be good at that.

My family has some telus phones, so I already know about their infamous customer service, which didn't exactly sway me towards Telus either. It's a number of things, but mainly what I already listed.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #212
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Right now my two biggest obstacles are:

1) I have already paid for NHL Centre Ice this year.

2) I hate telus' gal'darned marketing campaign and the horrible loud repetitiveness of it. Shaw's advertising is relatively innocuous, and I thank them for it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #213
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Is there any possible way to keep a shaw email address and switch to telus? Like some sort of monthly fee or what not?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #214
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
In my living room, I've got an HDPVR and an HD box all hooked up to my LCD. I, on a normal night, record 2 HD shows at the same time on the HDPVR and watch something else in HD on the other box (like the Flames game tonight for example). 3 HD streams. I would never think of switching if I couldn't get 3 HD streams at the same time with Telus.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #215
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Is there any possible way to keep a shaw email address and switch to telus? Like some sort of monthly fee or what not?
Find someone you know with a Shaw account and transfer the email to their account.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #216
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Here is the big difference. Shaw has to charge a little more as they have no contracts. When Telus knows you are committed to pay XX number of dollars for the next three years they can offer service at a lower rate. If you are comfortable with contracts then maybe Telus is for you.

Personally I have never dealt with worst customer service in my life than Telus. I have been in IT for 15 years and dealt with them on both a professional and residential capacity and frankly can't understand why people commit to their offerings under contract.

Shaw has always given me plenty of PVR recording and with time shifting their is very rarely a time I need a third channel recorded. That in itself in enough to say no to a contract.

But back to your question. Do you like being locked in to a contract? The fact that you have options is what makes Shaw's customer service better. They need to keep customers happy. If Telus pisses you off 6 months into a contract...what will you do about that?

Though are my opinions.
You can get TELUS Optik TV without a contract just fine.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #217
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Though are my opinions.
So, sign up month-to-month then.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #218
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Contracts only cover the cost of the box. That's all. Shaw charges 20 a month for their PVR, TELUS 15. And the TELUS one stores more content. The Shaw box sells for over 400, TELUS sells theirs for 25. Or you can take a contract and rent it free.

Quote:
What do 3 HD streams have to do with a contact?

Quote:
Not really, this is an incorrect and rather sweeping generalization. I posted my own numbers showing my ADSL was faster and more stable than what Shaw offered.

Quote:

Though are my opinions.
Dont take a contract if you dont want one. No offer TELUS has isn't on the table without one (except free laptops or free xbox360). The pricing plans are all independent of contracts.

I understand these are just your opinions but they seem to be based on false premises
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #219
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not really, this is an incorrect and rather sweeping generalization. I posted my own numbers showing my ADSL was faster and more stable than what Shaw offered.
Didn't you complain in another thread that you couldn't stream netflix properly?

Maybe my definition of faster and more stable is different than yours *shrug*
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #220
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

if you read further you''d see that i had more luck streaming on my ps3, or maybe the movie i watched was bad and i can watch netflix quite nicely.

Faster and stable... I dont have a specific definition that I use personally. I mean faster as in... speed test results. And more stable.. the ping and jutter etc. All falsifiable data and demonstrated that my TELUS connection was far better. No shrugging necessary