Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #61
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Let's get that garbage off the team. How about he shows heart as a player before we do anything more with him. I know this is a joke and Iginla has been amazing but currently, he is an overpaid 7 mil dollar player.
A contract he signed like 5 years ago
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #62
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is a totally unrealistic hire unless ownership relinquishes all hands off hockey operations. We shouldnt expect this because our team is about profits, not championships.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #63
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke is a great GM. Much better than Feaster in my opinion. Dropping Feaster for him doesn't fit the Flames' ownership style though. They like stability. They tend to hold on to their investments, even well past the time they should be moved. No snap judgements from them. Right now they're invested in a GM who has brought in his coach and a bunch of his players. Burke, while better than Feaster at the job would not want to keep things stable and I don't believe that fits the Flames at all.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #64
Flame Man12
Draft Pick

What would your reaction be if Brian Burke was hired as GM of the Calgary Flames?[/QUOTE]

I would become a Leaf fan
Flame Man12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #65
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Burke in Calgary with Klown in Edmonton...it practically writes itself.
That was my first thought as well. Would make things amusing for a bit.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #66
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We could have JD and Burke and it likely will not happen, it is sad.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #67
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He makes every team he is GM of better.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #68
Mike Vernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Let's get that garbage off the team. How about he shows heart as a player before we do anything more with him. I know this is a joke and Iginla has been amazing but currently, he is an overpaid 7 mil dollar player.
Lets get this Garbage off this forum.
Mike Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #69
davidbjordan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Wanna name some? Burke's one of the better GMs to be available in a while, along with JD.
JD is more so an operator than a GM, he develops a team direction and hires knowledgable staff to follow it through.

Brian Burke for one, is an annoyance. Second his time with the leafs really soured me on him, not because of his trades etc. it was his lack of direction.

He used terms of truculence (SP?) etc but his team identity was not consistent. I believe the team carlisle has out there now (swapping orr in with scoring lines) is what burke believes in but that team wasn't iced until he was relieved of his duties.

A good GM knows the team identity he wants, can get ownership to buy in and can ice that (complete roster including coaches to perform that identity).

Until now toronto didn't have that identity, and for that he failed.
davidbjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #70
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

JD just signed on in Columbus not. Can't see him leaving right away for a similar post here.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #71
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Burke of the other hand, would be coming into a higher position. I can see it honestly. Is what this team needs.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #72
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those that do not want Burke, why not? He has years of experience and through the teams he's been with in the past, has done a well enough job. Who's a better available candidate out there than him? Flames should be going with someone that's established and knows what they're doing. And most importantly, is a hockey guy. Those are the ones that know how to build hockey teams.

In my fantasy world, ownership would get their heads out of there asses and do the right thing by getting this guy, or someone else of equally prominence in the hockey world.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #73
davidbjordan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
JD just signed on in Columbus not. Can't see him leaving right away for a similar post here.
The discussion was more we could have had JD (which may not have even been a possibility)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
For those that do not want Burke, why not? He has years of experience and through the teams he's been with in the past, has done a well enough job. Who's a better available candidate out there than him? Flames should be going with someone that's established and knows what they're doing. And most importantly, is a hockey guy. Those are the ones that know how to build hockey teams.

In my fantasy world, ownership would get their heads out of there asses and do the right thing by getting this guy, or someone else of equally prominence in the hockey world.
I like the line, "has done a well enough job". classic justification for hiring someone to run your team.

I think the GM role needs to transition like the coaching has, we don't need to see the same Mike Keenan's/Marc Crawford's over and over again.
There are more than 30 people in the world capable of running an nhl team
davidbjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

Because Burke would build the team Burke's way.

This conversation is pre-mature, but if the Flames did clean house, the first thing you do is determine what your identity and long term vision for the franchise are. THEN you go get a guy to fit that role (a John Davidson type to build the franchise from top to bottom).

You don't run out and hire a Burke and then wait and see what changes he wants to make to the team (this is what the Flames have been doing up until now)

The lack of a plan is how you end up with a scenario like the Flames - first a gritty, lunchpail team, then swinging entirely the other way and becoming a small, skill team (r trying to)

If you go out and hire a Burke, he simpy starts moving the team in another new direction. Rinse repeat.

Last edited by Enoch Root; 03-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #75
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Considering Burke built one of the best teams in the East right now.. I wouldn't really care.
Haha wow you cant be serious.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #76
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Burke's Kessel trade was really dumb. I don't see him as some hockey genius that would be a big step up.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #77
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke would present his ideas before being hired just as Feaster did after his half season in charge. And I don't see any GM not wanting to put their mark on things and move things in their direction, Burke or any other GM.

Feaster smooth talked his bosses into his plan, and really hasn't delivered since. I am sure the excuse was first it was Darryl mess he was cleaning up, then Brent's fault for not playing the style he would. Well, now he's been on the job over two years and has his coach and results on the ice and with the things Feaster promised would change, haven't.

I think Burke or some other high profile guy in league circles will be the next GM, whenever that is. Guys that have proven they can back up their words and their ideas through making the changes when the time in the off season, and or midseason, calls for it. More of a do'er and less of a talker or media perception guy, as Feaster is leaning towards.

Last edited by browna; 03-02-2013 at 10:21 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Burke would present his ideas before being hired just as Feaster did after his half season in charge. And I don't see any GM not wanting to put their mark on things and move things in their direction, Burke or any other GM.

Feaster smooth talked his bosses into his plan, and really hasn't delivered since. I am sure the excuse was first it was Darryl mess he was cleaning up, then Brent's fault for not playing the style he would. Well, now he's been on the job over two years and has his coach and results on the ice and with the things Feaster promised would change, haven't.

I think Burke or some other high profile guy in league circles will be the next GM, whenever that is. Guys that have proven they can back up their words and their ideas through making the changes when the time in the off season, and or midseason, calls for it. More of a do'er and less of a talker or media perception guy, as Feaster is leaning towards.
Of course he would (to both parts of the bold).

But that is precisely the point I was making before: I don't want yet another individual coming in and taking the team in yet another individual's direction.

I believe the organization needs to determine their own direction (a permanent stratey) and then begin the process of bringing in people that can execute it.

This: "okay, who wants to be in charge next? where would you take the team?" garbage has to stop.

If you hire Burke, it's going to be 'Burke's team' and that is precisely what I don't want (not just Burke, but the strategy in general)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #79
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Of course he would (to both parts of the bold).

But that is precisely the point I was making before: I don't want yet another individual coming in and taking the team in yet another individual's direction.

I believe the organization needs to determine their own direction (a permanent stratey) and then begin the process of bringing in people that can execute it.

This: "okay, who wants to be in charge next? where would you take the team?" garbage has to stop.

If you hire Burke, it's going to be 'Burke's team' and that is precisely what I don't want (not just Burke, but the strategy in general)
So you're wanting the organization (read, King and the owners) to set the direction of the franchise and then find a GM who will be the person to do their trades for them and draft for them, to their specifications?

Although the rubbish on here about the control King and Edwards having multiple meddling fingers or whole hands in the pie currently are false, that's what your proposal is.

A GM in the NHL has to be in control of his vision of the team and he has to convince the President and the owners about that vision, and have the proven ability to make that happen with roster moves and drafting etc etc, to get them to be on board initially.

The GM has to also follow through with that plan and continue to demonstrate the ability to get the job done towards the goal that he and his bosses set up originally. But he has to be his own man when carrying out that plan, and no GM in the NHL is going to be able to do the job properly if he's not true to his vision.

Last edited by browna; 03-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #80
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
So you're wanting the organization (read, King and the owners) to set the direction of the franchise and then find a GM who will be the person to do their trades for them and draft for them, to their specifications?

Although the rubbish on here about the control King and Edwards having multiple meddling fingers or whole hands in the pie currently are false, that's what your proposal is.

A GM in the NHL has to be in control of his vision of the team and he has to convince the President and the owners about that vision, and have the proven ability to make that happen with roster moves and drafting etc etc, to get them to be on board initially.

The GM has to also follow through with that plan and continue to demonstrate the ability to get the job done towards the goal that he and his bosses set up originally. But he has to be his own man when carrying out that plan, and no GM in the NHL is going to be able to do the job properly if he's not true to his vision.
No, you don't understand my point at all and that is not what I said.

I said the organization needs to determine the direction / identity / vision of the team. THEN they need to hire people to execute that strategy.

That does not, in any way, suggest that the GM wouldn't be given autonomy to make desisions (they have to be given full autonomy, IMO). You determine a strategy , then you hire a guy to execute that strategy as he sees fit. If he fails, you replace him with someone else who CAN execute that strategy. The Flames keep hiring people with their own, completely different strategies (see the difference?)

IMO, it is actually the exact opposite of what you are implying: I believe that when you keep hiring guys with different visions, who keep changing the direction of the team, THAT is when you are going to see ownership start to meddle because there is too much change, dis-orgainization, and lack of direction (see Flames, Calgary).

And no, I don't want that to be King, but thanks again for trying to put words in my mouth