Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Unlike Daredevil and JJ, Cages non-action dialogue was just plain.... lame. Cottonmouth and Maria and Diamondback aren't menacing or clever, just annoying.

They should have focused on Cage more.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New trailer for Iron First from NYCC.

PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PowerPlayoffs06 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #23
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

March is just too far away
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #24
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to pile onto this thread; these marvel super hero series on Netflix are like my secret shows. when the wife is out or I have an hour, I watch one of them. i'm really impressed with them and hope that Netflix/marvel keep it going.

i really liked luke cage, and both seasons of daredevil. i am really enjoying Jessica jones because i like krysten ritter, and i have no idea about the backstory.

so yeah...enjoyable!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finished Luke Cage, it's easily the worst of the Marvel TV series, even below Agents of SHIELD. I don't know why they felt the need to go full cheese (Cage and Claire/Misty always telling each other to stop being cheesy seems like it was intentional) when the other Defenders series have been fairly serious and well acted. The villains were also either meh (Cottonmouth) or terrible (Diamondback), Daredevil had way tougher enemies to take out while still having to worry about getting shot/stabbed. The whole season just seemed directionless, like no one could agree on where exactly they wanted to take it

Really hoping Iron Fist is better, preview looks good at least
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I loved the attitude, the gritty, black america ambiance they were going for, but Luke Cage suffers from horrible pacing, bland characters, sloppy writing, and really hard-to-meet expectations after the exceptional second season of Daredevil earlier this year.

Being more of a DC guy as a kid, I’ve been going into these Netflix-Marvel movies as a relative noob, and while I’ve of course been exposed to Daredevil/Punisher over the years simply by virtue of reading some Marvel comics (mainly X-Men, Thor, Silver Surfer, some Spider-man,) characters like Luke Cage are as foreign to me as robust Cuban coffee.

I guess I’ll mainly talk about the characters, because they were the show’s biggest issue.

Luke Cage: He worked so much better as a part-timer in Jessica Jones. After about episode four, it became blatantly apparent that, hey, watching a guy who's basically invincible is really boring. Maybe that's partly why the 2008 Incredible Hulk movie didn’t work. Or the 2003 one. And why Hulk hasn't gotten another movie of his own. And don’t get me started on Superman. The same goes for Cage: you can only take characters like that down so many roads, especially when you have to take into account television-sized FX budgets and a continuous story arc you’re trying to play into (i.e. an alien invasion story of Harlem probably isn’t in the Netflix-Marvelverse plan.) On top of that, Cage himself didn’t have much depth, but to be honest, I’m still trying to decide if that’s more a symptom of Mike Colter’s inability to evoke any emotion whatsoever, or I just didn’t buy what they were selling.

Misty Knight: Simone Cook--first in her class at the William Shatner School of Overacting--grated on me pretty ####ing quick. I mentioned the show’s attitude, and I think Cook laid it on really thick in an attempt to play into this. Throughout the show it was one boneheaded cop move after another, and by the time the final episode rolled around, all I could think was, ‘Jesus, why the hell does she still have a job?!’ Granted, pedantry is one of my…stronger qualities, but it usually doesn’t get in the way of my suspension of disbelief. I just couldn’t get past Misty Knight, and everything I just said about her can be applied to the whole New York/Harlem police force as portrayed here: over-acted, bumbling idiots.

Cottonmouth: He was easily my favourite character of the show. Now this character had depth—he was more nuanced, complicated, and interesting than any character on the show, and the over-the-top street gangsta’ performance just worked. Killing him off mid-way through the season was not unexpected, but then to just ham-fistedly replace him with Diamondback? It felt sloppy--like the way Iron Man 2 tried to cram so many pieces into the story without much regard for polish. Incidentally, about a year ago someone in the one of the Star Wars threads made a comment about his/her “accidental Domhall Gleeson marathon,” and I legitimately burst out laughing at that comment, as I was on about movie number six staring Gleeson at the time. I must currently be on an accidental Mahershala Ali marathon: the dude’s in everything I watch lately.

Diamondback: Tone it down, bro! They have a word just for characters like this: hammy. Honestly, I still don't understand parts of Diamondback's/Styker’s backstory. He’s billed as this terrifying, badass criminal mastermind, then . . . oh hey, it’s Carl Lucas’ goody two-shoes half brother who hates him even though they were best friends when they were kids until some incident landed Styker in a juvenile detention facility . . . something-something . . . Stryker frames now-police officer Lucas, Lucas goes to a maximum security prison to essentially die . . . something-something . . . Stryker tries to take over the New York criminal underworld, but is fixated on Luke Cage and is plotting his demise except he just learned he’s alive . . . It just doesn't make much sense.

Shades: Oh, hi Juice. Seriously, he’s like the exact same guy he portrayed on Sons of Anarchy.

Mariah: At first I was bored ####less with Mariah, but by the end I had changed my mind. As far as conniving slimeballs go, she was pretty good. But she was over-used and over done. She’s not a criminal mastermind, I don’t—and won’t—believe that for one second. She’s an opportunistic, slimeball politician, full-stop. I hope they dial down her role if she returns.

In the end, Luke Cage was slow; began to feel like a chore to watch. Reducing the episode count would have benefitted Luke Cage significantly by tightened up the story and cutting out a lot of the fat. And for an action show, y’know, there wasn’t a whole lot of action.

Is it fair to compare the show past Marvel-Netflix shows? No, probably not, but in a shared-universe like this, it’s pretty hard not to: Jessica Jones was pretty light on action, but it more than made up for it with gripping characters and solid writing. Daredevil was action-packed, written wonderfully, but had some weaker characters.

Luke Cage had attitude, and that’s about it. C-

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 10-16-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #27
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I only watched three episodes before giving up on it, but what I saw is very accordant with that review
Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #28
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I don't want a Defenders series. I was a Heroes for Hire series.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #29
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Luke Cage had attitude, and that’s about it. C-
Just finished this weekend and this would be my review as well. Though it has its moments (really liked the Method man, scene, and hoodie bit)
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #30
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Shades: Oh, hi Juice. Seriously, he’s like the exact same guy he portrayed on Sons of Anarchy.
I really disagree here, Juice was kind of a ##### in SOA, always scared of something and I don't think he was all that clever. Shades was much more intelligent and for the most part pretty fearless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #31
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I really disagree here, Juice was kind of a ##### in SOA, always scared of something and I don't think he was all that clever. Shades was much more intelligent and for the most part pretty fearless.

I think you're right. I forgot all about Juice flipping into that antagonist role on SOA until I read your comment, but I guess I was speaking more to his mannerisms, presence, and the way his body speaks.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't seem to have the time to catch all the series I would like to watch. I enjoyed DD season 1 and Jessica Jones, but still want to watch DD season 2 and Bloodlines season 2 on Netflix. Sounds like this one is a idstant third of the three?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #33
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I wonder with Cage, if some of this was intentional and part of the tone? I mean, they are riffing on blaxploitation at least in part no?

Maybe the campiness is part of that.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #34
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I wonder with Cage, if some of this was intentional and part of the tone? I mean, they are riffing on blaxploitation at least in part no?

Maybe the campiness is part of that.
that is how I interpreted it
Old 10-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #35
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I just don't seem to have the time to catch all the series I would like to watch. I enjoyed DD season 1 and Jessica Jones, but still want to watch DD season 2 and Bloodlines season 2 on Netflix. Sounds like this one is a idstant third of the three?
DD season 2 is the best of the bunch IMO. You should check it out
Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #36
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all a matter of opinion. For me JJ was the most enjoyable, followed by Luke Cage and then DD1 and then DD2.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #37
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Not sure if I'm in the minority or not...I really like JJ but never managed to finish Daredevil S1.

Will start watching this one in the next week or so.
I'm with you on this as well, but when a big part of a superhero's special power is drinking whisky, I'm immediately a fan.
Keep thinking I should try DD again, but I'm sure I'll try Luke Cage now first instead.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Always late to the party, I just finished watching Luke Cage. I think I enjoyed it more than most of you, and would rate it a solid B+ (in line with many TV Critics):

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-luke-cage

It's not great like Breaking Bad, but it is far better than a series based on a corny 70s comic book could have been. I come at this having not seen much of Jessica Jones or Daredevil so far. Marvel is on a big winning streak.

First I have to say I was most impressed with the music and the setting. The series was a love letter to Harlem and black culture. All of the musical numbers at Harlem's Paradise were captivating. Luke taking out the thugs to Bring Da Ruckus was awesome.

Funny how often Harlem's Paradise and the Barber Shop were shot up and re-built. Kind of like Manhattan in the big movies. That may have been the point.

I agree that Diamondback's arrival should have been delayed to the end of Season 1. Cottonmouth was terrific, and I wanted more. Really, I thought all the characters and acting was terrific, with plenty of strong female characters. I really liked Bobby Fish and Scarfe too.

I think Mariah will become more ruthless and betray Shades.

The corniness must have been intentional and an homage to the source material, but it was sometimes out of step with what was sometimes a very dark and violent show.

The thing that bothered me the most - Diamondback becomes a crime boss in Harlem, then Luke just happens to settle in Harlem too? A bit too convenient.

14 coolest easter eggs:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/0...and-references

I noticed a Stan Lee "stop crime" poster in the background, and Claire taking the phone number for Coleen Wing's martial arts class.

Shades asking "What are you talking about, Willis?"

Last edited by troutman; 11-29-2016 at 10:59 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Luke Cage' soundtrack: Here's every song from the show, broken down by episode

https://mic.com/articles/155950/luke...ode#.FjJHDVySl
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 02:54 AM   #40
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with everything you said Troutman. Great post.