Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #981
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was Sadness for a long time haha.

I'm slowly realizing that you can interact and chat while playing games. I think it actually encourages more socializing.

Now, to buy a $2500 USD board game table

https://www.boardgametables.com/order/
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #982
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I'm slowly realizing that you can interact and chat while playing games. I think it actually encourages more socializing.

YIKES! I was thinking something like this:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/s...tem/p14080004/

They retail $100-250 in China town or Pacific Mall I believe. Pricey perhaps, but the edge to keep things from falling/lost is worth it IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #983
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to get secret hitler soon.

It comes with an expansion for cards against humanity: fascism pack.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #984
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

If you want to crazy, Check out http://geekchichq.com
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #985
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
If you want to crazy, Check out http://geekchichq.com
I got the ding! on my phone that someone quoted my post. I looked down in excitement to see what was up, only to get the horrible dreadful sinking feeling in my stomach like when you receive terrible news. Oh no, "this post is terrible" quoted me! My career on CP is over!

Thankfully, it was just about a nerd gaming table haha. Just don't thank my post.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #986
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Skip pandemic. It always turns into a dictatorship or people screaming at each other if the tactics don't match. Mysterium I don't know about, but it seems like an upgrade on Clue?

I've migrated away from board games. Too difficult to get buy in from a group. I'm into card games because I can actually get a group to play it casually. Good games to try after Catan IMO are...

- Tokaido (Shopping, praying, eating and traveling. Great game, should be in everyone's collection)
- Kings of Tokyo + Expansion (Silly monster attacking game)
- Power Grid (only if the group loves calculating. Great for accountants and engineers. Less great for casual players)

Card games

- Coup (Lying and special abilities. Be the last man standing)
- Family business (mafia game. More fun if you start chirping each other. Be the last man standing)
- No thanks (Collect cards or put a token out to skip it. Lowest point wins. )
- Love letter (easy 5 mins card game. Defeat one another with cards in your hand)
- Monopoly deal (Not played often due to stigma from the original board game, but this one is a solid card collection game that plays quickly unless you have too many idiots playing super defensively)
- Banana grams (Like scrabble but less structure. Even grandma can play it!)
- Saboteur (Who will be the dwarf effin shiz up so we can't get gold??)
- Uno

Cranium, pictionary, taboo and a few others are fun in some groups, but we definitely haven't played most of those recently.
A lot of good ones on this list. Coup is particular is brilliant. I've never had a game of this that hasn't been a lot of fun (even when you're eliminated early, just watching it play out between other people is great). I normally don't like elimination games, but it works when the game is short and the emergent narrative content is high. The Reformation expansion ads a really great twist to it as well. The great artwork in the game also helps engage casual gamers, too.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #987
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpo...ame-released-i

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Released
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game has been near the top of our "most-anticpated" list for nearly the past two years. First announced back at Gen Con 2014, we thought we might see it released at last year's Con, but it was later scheduled for a March 2016 release. That release date was pushed back to this Tuesday, and that release date was pushed back until today. They didn't push it back again. That's right, Pathfinder Adventures is alive and kicking on an App Store near you courtesy of Obsidian Entertainment and Paizo Publishing.

Pathfinder Adventures is an incredibly faithful recreation of the cardboard version, specifically Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and its expansions. If it does well, I'm sure we can expect Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous – Base Set to follow.

The game is free to download and comes with the Perils of the Lost Coast mini-adventure. The first two adventures in the Rise of the Runelords path are available via IAP, with the other expansions coming shortly. You can also purchase, as a separate IAP, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Character Add-On Deck. You can use real cash money to buy them separately or as a $25 season pass, or you can use in-game gold which you earn by completing quests and killing monsters. It will be quite a grind to save enough to unlock new material for nothing, but the app gives you a lot to do, so you won't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/04/27/th...s-finally-out/

https://pathfinder.obsidian.net/game

Last edited by troutman; 04-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #988
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

My buddy who owns the board game bistro Metal Galaxy is having Paul Saxberg of Santorini come to his store to show and teach the game.

LINK
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #989
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpo...ame-released-i

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Released
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game has been near the top of our "most-anticpated" list for nearly the past two years. First announced back at Gen Con 2014, we thought we might see it released at last year's Con, but it was later scheduled for a March 2016 release. That release date was pushed back to this Tuesday, and that release date was pushed back until today. They didn't push it back again. That's right, Pathfinder Adventures is alive and kicking on an App Store near you courtesy of Obsidian Entertainment and Paizo Publishing.

Pathfinder Adventures is an incredibly faithful recreation of the cardboard version, specifically Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and its expansions. If it does well, I'm sure we can expect Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous – Base Set to follow.

The game is free to download and comes with the Perils of the Lost Coast mini-adventure. The first two adventures in the Rise of the Runelords path are available via IAP, with the other expansions coming shortly. You can also purchase, as a separate IAP, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Character Add-On Deck. You can use real cash money to buy them separately or as a $25 season pass, or you can use in-game gold which you earn by completing quests and killing monsters. It will be quite a grind to save enough to unlock new material for nothing, but the app gives you a lot to do, so you won't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/04/27/th...s-finally-out/

https://pathfinder.obsidian.net/game
troutman have you ever tried the physical card game? After fooling around with this app it really has me intrigued. Apps are great and all but I prefer to sit at a table with other people for this kind of stuff. BGG says it is a great version of the RPG. I can't trust Tom Vassal on this one to many demons in it for his Pastor ways.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #990
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

My List:
  • Resistance
  • Betrayal at the House on the Hill
  • Caverna
  • Terra Mystica
  • Bezzerwizzer
  • Saboteur 1 & 2
  • Legendary
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Concept
  • Smash Up
  • Sheriff of Nottingham
  • Marrying Mr. Darcy
  • 7 Wonders
  • Pandemic
  • Killer Bunnies
  • Get Bit
  • Small World
  • Cyclades
My favourites are Cyclades, 7 Wonders, Terra Mystica, and Smash Up. The most amazing moments came from Resistance - including having a girl spray tears of rage from her eyes when her boyfriend betrayed her... and then she became a lezzer a few months later.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #991
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You call that a gaming table? THIS is a gaming table.

And it will only run you $5,500 U.S. (and about an 18 month wait for them to custom build it for you).
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #992
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

And it will only run you $5,500 U.S. (and about an 18 month wait for them to custom build it for you).
I need this table. Now.

So sick man.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #993
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default What is your favorite board game?

Quote:

Yeah...$5,500 is just the deposit!! $15-$25,000
Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #994
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have been playing Pandemic Legacy since early January and we are almost through the game, should be finishing it up in the next couple weeks here.

Would highly recommend it if you've got a group that gets together regularly and you want a unique gaming experience. Definitely unlike anything I've ever played before!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #995
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
troutman have you ever tried the physical card game? After fooling around with this app it really has me intrigued. Apps are great and all but I prefer to sit at a table with other people for this kind of stuff. BGG says it is a great version of the RPG. I can't trust Tom Vassal on this one to many demons in it for his Pastor ways.
I have the Runelord set, unplayed. I'd like to try it, but I think it requires a committed group of 3-4 players.

I wonder if I play the App, if it will spoil the boardgame?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #996
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My understanding is that the card game is just a card version of the RPG, a lot of similarities in the way that items work or characters progress. Then I believe that this app is just an extension or copy of the card game with a bit more polish and more fluidity. So yea I would say that playing one will spoil the mechanics of the other, but I am not sure if the story or settings are independent.. haven't been able to find an answer online yet either. It is fresh so I am sure that will come out soon.

Quote:
A knock on the tabletop game is that it feels gamey and the RPG theme can get lost in the mechanics. I don't totally subscribe to those complaints, but the app removes the "card" feel of all the different locations and has beautiful art instead. Playing the preview back in March, theme definitely wasn't an issue.

The game currently supports solo play (which works great, controlling multiple characters) or pass-and-play. Online multiplayer was talked about, but isn't present at launch.
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/pa...the-app-store/

Sounds like for solo play you want the app, for multiplayer you want the physical game. And yes the card game does take multiple sessions from dedicated characters. However, like any RPG you can always find a reason for a character to be absent from a session they can't make.

edit: BGG delivers

Quote:
For example, each adventure has three difficulty levels and there is also a Quest Mode you unlock after finishing the second part of Perils of the Lost Coast. Quest Mode is basically a random game generator. It will create new location decks for you to explore, with no two adventures ever being the same. It's pretty slick, and a nice way to rack up some GPs.

There is no online multiplayer, only pass-and-play and solo play. It's not a problem, actually, as playing 4-6 characters by yourself is incredibly easy to do when the CPU is keeping track of all the numbers and rules. There is an online requirement, but it's only to keep track of any gold you've earned. If you don't care about earning gold (like, if you purchased the Season Pass), then you can play offline as much as you like.
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogger/2305

Perils of the Lost Coast seems to be the name for the apps campaign, and I don't believe that shows up in the physical card game so the content should be separate, but the mechanics are identical.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-29-2016 at 09:49 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #997
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I need this table. Now.

So sick man.
The picture doesn't tell you the half of it. The first step to getting the table is an hour or so consultation with Geek Chic, where they ask about the space where you'll be putting the table and what kind of games you play. They give you dozens of options of wood, fittings, cup holders, surfaces, chairs, and other customization options. And, in a shrewd touch, the gaming surface can be covered by leaves to look just like a normal table (leaving a game set up underneath the table-top). So they're also an heirloom dining-room table, which is no doubt an important feature for spousal negotiations. When they've finished custom-building your table for you, it's hand-delivered by their own staff, who set it up in your home.

I'm not a materialistic man. I don't dream of owning high-end sports cars or an extravagant home. But I want that table. And if I ever come into serious money, it will be mine.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #998
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The picture doesn't tell you the half of it. The first step to getting the table is an hour or so consultation with Geek Chic, where they ask about the space where you'll be putting the table and what kind of games you play. They give you dozens of options of wood, fittings, cup holders, surfaces, chairs, and other customization options. And, in a shrewd touch, the gaming surface can be covered by leaves to look just like a normal table (leaving a game set up underneath the table-top). So they're also an heirloom dining-room table, which is no doubt an important feature for spousal negotiations. When they've finished custom-building your table for you, it's hand-delivered by their own staff, who set it up in your home.

I'm not a materialistic man. I don't dream of owning high-end sports cars or an extravagant home. But I want that table. And if I ever come into serious money, it will be mine.
Biggest stumbling block when it comes to anything cool.

I want a full size R2D2 unit as a piece of furniture in the living room or the front foyer. Does she let me? She thinks its "stupid". R2D2 is classic!

Oh, but some $1200 area rug is not "stupid". Or a $450 accent chair. Like WTF?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #999
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want a full size R2D2 unit as a piece of furniture in the living room or the front foyer. Does she let me? She thinks its "stupid". R2D2 is classic!
I bet she doesn't like you hanging out with your friends down at Toshi Station, either.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #1000
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Myself and a friend of mine (who is a professional carpenter/cabinet maker) are looking at putting together a gaming table. when all is said and done it will seat a total of 9, but wont be much bigger that a regular diner table. 3 sitting on each long side, 2 on one end, 1 (the DM) on the other. Materials are looking to be about $1500 depending on the wood. We also considered using scrap wood like pallets etc which would make everything way, way cheaper.

We haven't made very much progress yet.