Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #121
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just caught up on the last 3 episodes. I have no idea what's going on. But I cannot look away. Well, I can for a few weeks at a time. But not permanently.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #122
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I can't wait to see how long he's been in for and for what.
He hasn't been in long. The attack was on May 9, and the FBI agent said she was going to find a Fourth of July barbecue early in the episode -- so it's only been a couple of months.

Whatever he's in for must be something pretty minor because it seemed like, at the end, the letter he received said he was going to be getting out.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #123
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah something is going on with the Dark Army. His friend said something about white rose so he was obviously keeping an eye on Elliot.

Ray was probably the warden? How else would they get access to a computer.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #124
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

not a big fan of the prev episode where they opened with that 80's tv series style show. For a drama like mr. Robot, that was really off from the tone of the show. No wonder why the ratings dipped as low as it did for that episode

Glad things picked up. It really made me wonder who Ray was if they were all in the prison. He must be the warden if he's allowed a dog on the property
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #125
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

So the 80's opening;

It was a reflection of his childhood. He went on a trip with his family when he was younger. A time in his life when he still had hope and cared for his dad. The purpose being to create as much positive stimuli as required to keep Elliots mind off reality. His dad continually referred to what is in the trunk as "baggage" very purposefully. This indicates Elliot has guilt about killing Tyrell hence the emphasis on baggage. We learned he had an abusive mom and that his father was endearing.

His dad was the only positive influence in his life and Mr. Robot is the only thing that stopped him from becoming traumatized to the point of psychosis/catatonia.

Say what you want but an inquisitive mind will see that episode was incredibly complex psychologically and revealed a lot about Elliots family and his past including Tyrell. He struggles with the fact that the only person he really had that understood him was killed by E-Corp. At the same time that same person accidentally caused him lifelong brain damage. His mind is an incredibly complex analysis on the nature of the human mind and tries to show us that Elliot is more like us than we'd like to think.

Last edited by AcGold; 08-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #126
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Reflecting on it some more, I really feel like the story has stalled out. I mean we're officially back to exactly where we were in episode 1 of this season in Elliots arc. The only difference is we know he's in Jail instead of just thinking it. His arc with Ray has completed and nothing changed, he's not done much with F-Society, I guess the one change is that he's accepted Mr Robot is a part of him and embraced it.

Angela and the FBI seems to be the only arc moving forward with any sort of pace. Even Darlene and F-Society are basically just doing the same BS mini-stunts, although that might change next episode as it sounds like they discovered something pretty major with the FBI hack.

I guess we'll see, I really hope the last two episodes get the show back on track imo. The ratings have been pretty abysmal but it did get renewed for season 3.

Last edited by polak; 08-23-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really good episode for moving several stories along. I like how they feed you just enough to have questions, and when they answer them they just lead to more. But it feels nothing like the ripoff of Lost.

Also had to pause tonight's episode to lookup the website:
http://www.realtimetranslation.net

Funny that they made a fake webpage for the show. Was kinda hoping it was a real thing.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #128
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The last two episodes were great! Really liking FSociety's story more than Elliots this season.

I have a feeling we will be left with a major cliff hanger after next weeks season finale. Also, there's gotta be a big reveal still re: Tyrell.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #129
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I have a feeling we will be left with a major cliff hanger after next weeks season finale. Also, there's gotta be a big reveal still re: Tyrell.
There's still two more weeks... Three more episodes with the double episode finale.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #130
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Episode 11 made me very angry.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #131
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finally caught up. A bit disappointed in the lack of conversation going on!

It's been great. I guess we'll find out about phase 2 in the finale. Obviously it's something Elliot's alter ego "Mr. Robot" was planning/masterminding all while he was unconscious.

Also, was that Tyrell that hopped in the cab? It's been so long since we've had any real scenes with him that I kind of forgot what he looked like.. I'm assuming so.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #132
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've totally lost patience with this show. All of season 2 has seemed like a shell game, constantly relying on hiding information, blatant lies, false leads (the whole Craig Robinson storyline), and manufactured cliff hangers to distract from the fact that there has been no real story development this season.

We started season 2 wondering what was next after the big hack, and that has not been answered in the slightest. This season we learned that Phase 2 comes next. And that's it.

Dom's investigations have netted nothing, and it seems like she's being written by two completely different people - one who writes the investigation scenes, who sees her as a focused, driven, never-take-no-for-an-answer pitbull, and one who writes her personal scenes, who sees her as a frail, weepy figure.

Angela's scenes have established one thing: the events that killed her mother have something to do with the Dark Army. As far as I can tell, that's it for the entire season.

Darlene's scenes have established...? What? That the Dark Army is dangerous? Anything else?

As for Elliot, his scenes have been nothing but filler. The first 2/3 of the season were a complete lie that didn't forward the story at all. And since then, everytime it could progress the story we/Elliott are shut out just before any actual information can be garnered.

In the end, IMO this show has become 95% style and 5% substance because the creators had no idea where to take the story after season 1 and/or fell in love with the smell of their own farts and became convinced that style=substance. Whatever the reality, it's ultimately amounted to wasting 10+ hours... Unless Esmail can pull massive rabbit out of his hat next week.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #133
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I don't really disagree with that. There have been great episodes this season but the overall arc hasn't really moved forward at all.

Individual episodes stand well on their own still though. Last nights was weak but last weeks was amazing.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #134
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Rami Malek won the Emmy for Best Actor in a Drama series (deservingly so).

No way GoT should've won over season 1 of Mr Robot. I'm wondering if season 2 swayed votes?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #135
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I think it's moved forward significantly, there are themes and references that are telling the story under the surface.

The show has referenced Lolita, the lost files of Mrs. Frankweiler, Time cop, Stargate, Pulp Fiction, the Book by Lovecraft and most importantly back to the future (in nearly every episode). Every one of these references has very common themes and is telling the audience where the show will go.

There's a plot beneath the surface telling a science fiction alternate reality/time travel story. There are dozens of events in the show that tie in together that are unexplained.

S1E4, Angela hands Elliot a key, calls Elliot a monster and glitches out. Just because things aren't panning out linearly or logically doesn't mean it's not progressing, every scene is somehow relating to the central hidden story that relates to time travel and alternate realities.

Don't you notice how difficult it is to discern what is happening, why it's happening, when it's happening and who is actually doing it sometimes? How Angelas behavior is becoming increasingly peculiar? There's more than just the surficial story. Esmail is swinging for the fences on this one and most don't see that yet. I predict it goes full on Interstellar/Lynchian craziness, the show is like a Nolan movie mixed with a David Lynch movie. High level sci-fi concepts mixed with abject surrealism and philosophies. Without careful attention to the small details it's probably a frustrating experience because it's so nonsensical on the surface.

Last edited by AcGold; 09-19-2016 at 11:59 AM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #136
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The first season moved so quickly, with more pace than most shows out there that this second season is more on par with other shows for plot pacing. But it's also not boring which is why it's hard to really complain. Still great acting and intriguing episodes for the most part. It's allowing the show to expand and develop its characters more which isn't a bad thing for a show that hurdled along to get to where it is now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #137
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I thought there were only 10 episodes this season so I started my binge. When I got to the end of 10 I was pissed. Binging was perfect for this season but that would have been a crap ending.

Now I have to watch the final 3 at the same time as you animals.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #138
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I thought there were only 10 episodes this season so I started my binge. When I got to the end of 10 I was pissed. Binging was perfect for this season but that would have been a crap ending.

Now I have to watch the final 3 at the same time as you animals.
There is only 1 more episode left: This week's
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #139
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the #### is going on.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #140
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp: