Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #1101
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
A whole lot of nerd speak in there.... She's hot though
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #1102
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Was just playing around with Vita remote play and have to say if Sony markets that properly that can be a killer app.
Finally had some extra time today. The PS Network was pretty fast - had the update on USB but hit the network anyhow. Smooth as butter.

I loved the Vita before the new console launch. Now it is that much more awesome - Remote play is the real deal. I also hear they bumped up the limit of 2 Vita's per account to 3 now.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1103
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
I am selling a new, unopened PS4 at cost if anyone you know is trying to track one down. Bought an extra one yesterday when I went to pick up my pre-order as they still had some non-pre order ones around. Figured I could help someone out.

Send me a PM.
PM Sent....
C Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #1104
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchfuzzy View Post
This pretty much sums up why you have no idea what a good gaming experience is.
Fixed.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #1105
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Initial sales numbers are in, PS4 has sold 1+ million units in under 24 hours outpacing the PS2 launch. These are NA numbers only which was one of their weakest regions of the last generation.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/17/5...-million-sales

Comparative figures from previous generations
PS2 took 3 days to sell 1 million units,
Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold
Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold
Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold
Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

Not my graphic, but here's the value graphed

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-17-2013 at 10:40 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #1106
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Lots of reports of people walking into places like Target and walking out with 40+ consoles left as well as other places. Everyone hits Best Buy and Future Shop but there were lots available at other places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Initial sales numbers are in, PS4 has sold 1+ million units in under 24 hours outpacing the PS2 launch. These are NA numbers only which was one of their weakest regions of the last generation.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/17/5...-million-sales
As mentioned before, the more PS4's on the shelf right now the better for Sony. Clearly demand is there and people are buying them in large numbers - if they can keep up supply to stores they probably should have no trouble beating their estimate of 5 million worldwide by the end of March.

Erick's report of still so much available stock to pickup is great news for Sony.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #1107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resogun is really fun. A cross between Defender and Geometry Wars. So far my favourite feature of the PS4 is the audio through the control. Adds a different feel to games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #1108
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned before, the more PS4's on the shelf right now the better for Sony. Clearly demand is there and people are buying them in large numbers - if they can keep up supply to stores they probably should have no trouble beating their estimate of 5 million worldwide by the end of March.

Erick's report of still so much available stock to pickup is great news for Sony.
No need to continue defending your brand everyone gets it just as we fully expect you to keep us informed of any hiccups in the XB1 launch. I would hope we could move on from this and just enjoy the systems/games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1109
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

just put chemgear on your ignore list, he is providing nothing useful to this thread anyways.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #1110
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No need to continue defending your brand everyone gets it just as we fully expect you to keep us informed of any hiccups in the XB1 launch. I would hope we could move on from this and just enjoy the systems/games.
Defending brand? Like you, I'm in for both brands and like to chat all gaming in general. I'm actually messing with the new XCOM right now rather than the PS4.

You were keeping us informed with your post about PS4 stock available on the shelf. I was commenting on that and the musing on potential sales going forward - I'm relying on you! I haven't spent much time in stores and I have zero idea of off-the-shelf availability. I appreciated your post and contributing information I had no idea about.

Of course, this thread shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the new generation of consoles. Like the PM I sent, don't let any of this affect your enjoyment of the consoles - it's a great time for gamers! We're all just chatting about it in an internet thread!

I'll looking forward to this coming Friday as well - how often do we get to see TWO new console releases. I hope people keep posting impression of the Xbone as well - good, bad and sideways!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #1111
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
LOL, the arrogance of the PS3!

The comparisons between the various consoles launch is probably a bit messy though. You've got different gaming industry sizes over time and varied numbers of launch countries.

Or was this for North America only?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #1112
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fanboyism is just stupid but if there's news, it should be reported here since this is the thread to discuss it. If someone makes unsubstantiated blanket statements without having it backed up one way or another, expect to get called out on it.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #1113
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Follow up to the reports about issues with some launch PS4.

Quite a number if Amazon.com reviews with 1 star/issues. 523 at this point - interesting comments and discussion in there. Apparently you can find the date and location of manufacture of your console on the bottom back label.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-...owViewpoints=1
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #1114
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, the arrogance of the PS3!

The comparisons between the various consoles launch is probably a bit messy though. You've got different gaming industry sizes over time and varied numbers of launch countries.

Or was this for North America only?
This is first month launch sales regardless of release region. 24hrs is only NA launch numbers thus far.

On the launch failure defects for PS4, reports are coming in the failure rates are closer to 3-5% from retailer numbers, this is higher than Sony's initial released numbers.

Polygon and IGN reporting that a number of these defects may be attributed to intentional sabotage at a Foxconn plant where interns were forced to manufacture the units at low wages and poor work conditions
Quote:
Xi'an Technological University students spent two months at the Foxconn plant in Yantai, China, for a work-study program that ran from August to this week. Students from the program told Dongfang Daily that the internship was mandatory — their diploma would be withheld if they didn't participate, and if they attempted to drop out of the program early, they would lose six credits' worth of courses. The students also said they were given tasks outside of their areas of study, and sometimes performed manual labor.
Google translate this... from one of the plant workers
Quote:
这么高端的一个产品,这可是索尼和微软联合起来对抗苹果的关键一步,可不幸的是小日本把它交给了富士康,富 士康又把他们交给了我们这群北信实习生,它错了,它这次真的错了,富士康没把我们当人看,我们也没把它当成 高端产品看,除了应付还是应付,这批产品能正常开机是我们最高的期望,哈哈,等ps4 9月9日正式上市的时候就是索尼亏损和富士康倒闭的日子!!共同祈祷吧!
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/fo...ago.453522435/
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/10/48...anufacture-ps4

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #1115
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that seems a little crazy. I saw some other posts in your links about people spitting on motherboards out of spite and such. I'd imagine wacky stuff like that happens in any factory but yikes!

EDIT: I still kinda figure most of the hardware failures are just like normal tech launches symptoms I'm guessing there weren't massive acts of sabotage? It's not like there is a vast conspiracy or anything - but still interesting/freaky to read. :P

Last edited by chemgear; 11-17-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1116
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Follow up to the reports about issues with some launch PS4.

Quite a number if Amazon.com reviews with 1 star/issues. 523 at this point - interesting comments and discussion in there. Apparently you can find the date and location of manufacture of your console on the bottom back label.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-...owViewpoints=1
Couple of those are entertaining.Some are just complaining about the lack of quality games that should be available at launch and one was about not being able to play cds or mp3 which is kind of odd for a 400 dollar electronic.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #1117
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't get the brand loyalty to be honest. I'll wait and buy what's best or more than likely what all my non-PC friends are playing.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #1118
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone unboxing - past 10 min is just ads I think though.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #1119
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Xbone unboxing - past 10 min is just ads I think though.
Has the PS4 been dubbed with a nickname by the Xbox fanboys? I nominate Pisspoor
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #1120
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Early adopters will be selling PS4s in a month or two for $300 or less, like always. As soon as the credit card bills arrive people's priories change.

That is perfect because there wont be any good games until Spring.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote