Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #61
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
The Flames have redone the ice plant a few times in the past decade, and KK said back about 5 or 6 years ago that that was as big a reason for a new building as other factors, because the ice plant is as upgraded as it can get given the other factors within the building's engineering.

Being at the game, I guess I didn't realy notice it or blame it soley on the unfathomable loss tonight, but I don't think its got the ability to get much better ig you believe what KK has said over the past years, until you can build the whoel thing from scratch.
How does it make sense that it's as upgraded as it will get, but the ice quality is declining. If we can get good ice 4 years ago, why can't we get it now? They had plenty of time in the off season to fix it...
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #62
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

On tv you could really tell a couple of spots where the ice was terrible tonight. Th orst was just outside the Hawks zone on their bench side
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #63
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps we should start making the hitmen practice at david bauer or another arena to help improve the ice at th dome?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #64
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
I don't know all the ins and outs, just that he's said the ice plant has been totally revamped a few times in the past decade and it still can't keep up to standards.

Whether its the cooling lines, the concrete under the ice degrading, things like the fire going off or extra lights or activity in the dome, I don't know, all he said the system, given all the other building engineering, is it's capacity, and they can keep band aiding things, but the only way to properly fix it is have the new building be built around the ice plant as a top priority.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #65
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It was crazy to see the same huge divots in the ice from the first period still not being filled by the Zamboni in the 2nd intermission. Almost looked like they missed the exact middle of the ice before the shoot out too. Oh well.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #66
HockeyInTheHimalayas
Lifetime Suspension

Indeed the ice has appeared especially poor this season. Just a reminder, and it's a shame that the ice condition is the reason why Sven Baertschi is injured with a hip flexor.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...274/story.html

Quote:
“I was skating and my left skate seemed to have caught a rut in the ice and my legs kind of went into a splits position.
HockeyInTheHimalayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #67
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I used to work there, every other day or couple days in a row they would head over to the Coral to practice, I wonder if they still do that.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #68
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyInTheHimalayas View Post
Indeed the ice has appeared especially poor this season. Just a reminder, and it's a shame that the ice condition is the reason why Sven Baertschi is injured with a hip flexor.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...274/story.html
While I don't disagree that the ice has been awful, when you have 23 NHL skaters tearing up a surface, ice ruts are a fact of life. Blaming them for Sven's injury is silly.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #69
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been getting worse for years, but it seems to be at a whole new level this year.

In my section, two or three casual fans even mentioned it tonight (I notice it every night).

It has been an absolute embarrassment this year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #70
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish they would just crank the air conditioning as high as it needs to go to get the ice right. I could careless about personal comfort at the Dome. It does seem warmer this year than in years past, that is for sure.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #71
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
While I don't disagree that the ice has been awful, when you have 23 NHL skaters tearing up a surface, ice ruts are a fact of life. Blaming them for Sven's injury is silly.
No it's not. Bad ice gets more ruts a lot easier. Not silly at all.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #72
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was a huge pool of water in front of Emery to start the game, I noticed it before the anthems. Even the Hawks players were trying to kick the water around during their opening skate. Can't believe they didn't squeegee it.

My GF, who is a more casual fan than I, even mentioned how crap the ice looked last night.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #73
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
I wish they would just crank the air conditioning as high as it needs to go to get the ice right. I could careless about personal comfort at the Dome. It does seem warmer this year than in years past, that is for sure.
Seriously. I don't think fans really care much about the dome being cold. If better ice quality leads to Flame goals, the actual flames will heat them up anyway.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #74
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the game last night and agree that the ice was shameful once again. The only time it was respectable was the oilers game last week.

Honestly i'm not sure how the flames managed 47 shots on this ice! The game lacked flow, passing, and one timers as the majority of it was spent settling the puck down and making safe plays.

Congrats mr king, you've ruined hockey in Calgary
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #75
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
If improving the ice is as simple as cooling the building a bit (and I believe you are right that it would help), then please Mr King, do this.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #76
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The bad ice is really hurting the flames. They are a very skilled, fast, quick passing team. Crap ice is real noticeable because of all of the passes that bounce over sticks.
Really takes away home ice advantage
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #77
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I was at the game last night and agree that the ice was shameful once again. The only time it was respectable was the oilers game last week.

Honestly i'm not sure how the flames managed 47 shots on this ice! The game lacked flow, passing, and one timers as the majority of it was spent settling the puck down and making safe plays.

Congrats mr king, you've ruined hockey in Calgary
did you email him yet? kking@calgaryflames.com
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #78
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If improving the ice is as simple as cooling the building a bit (and I believe you are right that it would help), then please Mr King, do this.
Is Ken King really in charge of dictating the quality of the ice at the 'Dome? Isn't there a maintenance team or something? I thought the NHL had standards that needed to be met or something?
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #79
Flames Fan in Exile
Crash and Bang Winger

Location: Vancouver, under cover Flames spy in knucklehead land
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
did you email him yet? kking@calgaryflames.com
I believe There should be a campaign by the fans that are determined to call the team out about these kind of concerns, if with anything at least emails, just to get the real answers... Just saying

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit -Aristotle
Flames Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Third period bouncy puck 3 minutes in. I believe that is pretty bad. No humidity here, ice should be awesome.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote