Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #101
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Can we all envision a world where one of Ferland or Chiasson is playing 19 minutes a night, every night, and the roster is one injury away from Garnet Hathaway getting automatic top 9 icetime as the first minor league callup?

Are we even having a conversation about the playoffs without Brouwer? I can freely admit his contract is awful, but that's what you get when you have to go out and buy top 9 right wingers.

Watch the Flames do it AGAIN this summer for a top line RW spot because there is no choice but to try to field a competitive team when the team's scorers are prime aged for scoring. Tomas Tatar, Nino Niedereiter, TJ Oshie, Patrick Eaves. Whoever it is is going to get PAID.
Well, sometimes it works out like with Jiri Hudler and Michael Frolik. Solution:. Only sign UFA wingers if they are Czech?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #102
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, he sure didn't seem as happy this season as last. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he preferred to play out East. If the Flames did go that way (and I'm not suggesting they should, or that Gaudreau would request a trade, just speculating) one good thing is that he's an attractive player to an American market. Especially in the NE.

I threw this out in another thread, but I could see a deal with Gaudreau and Giroux as the main pieces. The Flyers are looking to re-tool, and Gaudreau is a local boy who would make parting with their star player digestible. For his part, Giroux is a better all-around player than Gaudreau. The problem is the five year age difference.
There was a lot of complaining about Giroux's performance from Philly fans this season. Is he beginning to decline?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #103
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
2nd rounder

Worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Shinkaruk.

Worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
So was his choice of goalie, but I guess tkxhuxk makes up for jt

To be fair, his acquisition of Elliott was near universal praise. Both here and the talking heads. No one foresaw the garbage he was for 2/3's of the regular season and 100% of the post-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Would anyone here offer Vegas our 1st round pick in exchange for them selecting Brouwer?

Not worth it.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #104
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This is the inability of the Flames to draft and develop. It should've been at least one of those first rounders in Poirer, Klimchuck, Jankowski or Baertchi who developed into a top 6 winger for the Flames, rather than free agents. I guess they got lucky with Gaudreau and Ferland as late round gems, but still, you SHOULD get a few late round gems every now and then regardless.

Nevertheless, Ferland is a clear upgrade over Brouwer and then you have Frolik. So is Chiasson ideal for the 3rd line? No, but remember that Brouwer played with Stajan a few times so he's not exactly ideal either.
Yeah, all the flames problems come down to their inability to draft and develop.

All of them.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #105
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
The best way to get rid of a bad contract nowadays is to trade it to Phoenix.

They would be looking to replace Pronger and Savard as they need to have a certain amount of deadweight to ensure that they stay terrible.

I think Brouwer being selected by Vegas is a pipedream.
Vegas HAS to take at least one player from the Flames. They also will have to reach the CAP floor.

I think there's a better than average change they take Brouwer. Who else that's unprotected by the flames would they take
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they wont take McDavid either by your logic
Obvious sarcasm is obvious.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #107
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Vegas HAS to take at least one player from the Flames. They also will have to reach the CAP floor.

I think there's a better than average change they take Brouwer. Who else that's unprotected by the flames would they take
Chiasson or Stajan.

One's an RFA the other has significantly less salary liability.

Stajan's cap is 3.1 but he makes 2.5 in actual cash next season.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #108
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is another reason why we should always avoid FA like the plague.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #109
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I would imagine that there will be a bunch of moves right before the draft but as of right now, if I am Mcphee I like Chaisson.

But I also like Stajan, Bouma, Bartkowski, Skinkaruk, Poirier, Kulak, Hamilton, Hathaway and Wotherspoon better that Brouwer.

Brouwer is the worst contract the Flames have going into next year. Vegas isn't going to take him. They want to win. They are not going to follow the Coyotes philosophy of taking other teams garbage to get to the cap floor.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #110
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kulak
Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #111
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Brouwer signing had a lot to do with the team dynamics than anything else. Boomer mentioned as much a couple of times. It's the only thing that made sense to me.

Why so much term for a guy north of 30? They had to overpay in Free Agency, but for what?

If they could get marginal production and help redirect each individual's focus to working for each other and growing as a group I think it was a calculated risk.

I think they achieved one benefit. Hopefully Las Vegas cleans up the part that didn't work.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #112
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm just saying that the reality is he's 5'9 and 150lbs, and that reality needs to be accounted for.

You can say "be better" all you want, but against the Ducks, what you're really saying isn't "be better" it's "be bigger" and that's an impossibility. Like it or not, the Ducks are full of players who are fast enough to keep up with him, big enough to do a lot of damage and skilled enough be able to rush him without looking like a chump after. Not to mention good enough at getting away with all the slashing, facewashing, cross-checking extra stuff.

Our offensive catalyst is the smallest guy in the league. It just is what it is, and we can either leave him out there on his own against teams like the Ducks, and admonish him for not being big enough to fight through it, or we can make adjustments and find other ways to get him the room he needs.
His really poor decisions during the series have little to do with his size.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #113
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
His really poor decisions during the series have little to do with his size.
I'm not 100% sold on that. He seemed to be playing pretty timidly this season, and more so in this series. Rushing his decisions out of nerves.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #114
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm not 100% sold on that. He seemed to be playing pretty timidly this season, and more so in this series. Rushing his decisions out of nerves.
Different player to me after he got kranked by Komorov.

He played well the rest of that game if memory serves.

There are two things I see from gaudreau that are troubling and that's only part of it.

The constant beaking at the refs and losing his composure, from basically the very start of his season is the most troubling aspect for me.

He'd get twice as many calls if he spent an entire season not asking for them or diving to get them.

It's a 'me first' attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #115
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas isn't going to try and do any favors for any team. If taking Brouwer helps the Flames, they will try and wrangle a sweetener out of it. Otherwise they take someone else and revisit Brouwer when Flames are more motivated.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #116
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

wrong thread....errmm...brouwer sucks.

Last edited by robaur; 04-20-2017 at 03:46 PM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #117
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Different player to me after he got kranked by Komorov.
That was two games before the turn-around in Montreal, and he went on to score at an impressive clip over the streak and down the stretch that saw the Flames make the playoffs.

Regardless, why is Gaudreau being criticized in the Browuer thread? You started it when it's already being discussed in several other threads.

You seem to have a habit of singling out and hating on the Flames best players dating back a decade.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #118
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
That was two games before the turn-around in Montreal, and he went on to score at an impressive clip over the streak and down the stretch that saw the Flames make the playoffs.

Regardless, why is Gaudreau being criticized in the Browuer thread? You started it when it's already being discussed in several other threads.

You seem to have a habit of singling out and hating on the Flames best players dating back a decade.
Wasn't I the one that started the Gaudreau side-convo?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #119
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Wasn't I the one that started the Gaudreau side-convo?
No, it was post 34, which you replied to.

Gaudreau and Brouwer both had 2 points in a series just about everyone was disappointing in.

But the thread is about Brouwer being a mistake from the time of his signing, including being invisible all season.

Gaudreau lead the team in scoring this season despite playing ten less games. Yes, the criticism of Gaudreau is valid and he has room to improve... but he's a cornerstone.

Brouwer has gone from possibly being protected (according to some) to now possibly being offered with an incentive for Vegas to select in the upcoming expansion draft. One has nothing to do with the other, and Gaudreau is already being ripped in several different threads.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #120
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I think I would have endured watching Bollig over seeing what Brouwer didn't do this year.

Why do I get sucked into this every year with the flames.?

I think this was as bad as Roman Cervenka? We should have just paid Colbourne I guess.

I know Tre will have allot more freedom with money this off season so I hope he doesn't pull another one of these off for next year.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote