Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #81
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I say bring him for another season.

But there could be a number of tenured coaches with playoff winning pedigree becoming available...
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #82
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There's a lot of acceptance and excuses for mediocrity in this thread. Remove the 2 outlier win streaks and this team was just bad and majorly underperformed. The win streaks make it even worse because it gave a glimpse as to what their true potential was if they had their #### together (coaching).
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #83
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I hate Gulutzan as much as anyone Clarkey, but you can't remove the win streaks without removing the losing streaks too.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey;[B
6233440][/B]There's a lot of acceptance and excuses for mediocrity in this thread. Remove the 2 outlier win streaks and this team was just bad and majorly underperformed. The win streaks make it even worse because it gave a glimpse as to what their true potential was if they had their #### together (coaching).
That's a concern for me is that if you remove those two streaks we are talking about a sub .500 team that wasn't very good on a lot of nights. You could see the bad hockey creep back after the 10 game streak ended as they were playing poorly going into the playoffs. However I feel some of the bad hockey was tied to poor goaltending so it's pretty obvious that this team needs high quality goaltending to be competitive and I feel that's the case for most teams in the NHL so I feel another season with hopefully better goaltending will tell us a lot more about what we have in Gulutzan.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #85
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Remove all their wins...and they never won a game all year.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #86
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

And remove all the losses. Did this team even play hockey?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #87
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Why do you say that. His team outplayed, outshot and out chances the Ducks for the better part of the series. His most questionable decision was his choice for starting goalie tonight. What exactly are we hanging on him, Elliott's save percentage?
The decision to start Elliot was really bad, and then to pivot to a cold goalie after one goal was even worse. Johnson deserved a shot to start a game and I hang that game on GG.

Throughout the series he played his 3rd defense pairing way too much, and refused to mixbip his lines at times when a spark was needed.

Add in the fact that he has a complete inability to use his timeouts effectively and I think we have a good systems coach with no idea what to do in a game when his plan isn't working.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #88
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully admit I don't like him, but I don't think you can get rid of him now. I think he is a good strategist/theoretician, but he is not a "leader of men". He is not a good bench coach, so I don't think you can ever win with him in the playoffs....

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Remove all their wins...and they never won a game all year.
No. Remove two runs of six and ten games and the team was a sub .500 team for 66 games. You can argue it's cherry picking to an extent but does highlight that the team was not very good for 80% of the schedule. It's not like they went on a really long losing streak in that span as they were more of a win one, lose two, win two, lose two team for most of the season. If they play largely the same next season but don't go on a ten game run we would be looking at a lottery team. Consistency was not a strong point of this season's edition of the Flames but as I said in my last post I feel goaltending played a large role in that.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-20-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #90
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, I bring Gulutzan back.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #91
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I fully admit I don't like him, but I don't think you can get rid of him now. I think he is a good strategist/theoretician, but he is not a "leader of men". He is not a good bench coach, so I don't think you can ever win with him in the playoffs....
Sorry Vlad, I just hate this perception we've created of him where we're not in the room or on the bench but as fans we think we know exactly what the shortcomings in his room presence are.

Comments about his hair, where he looks after a goal, etc... we as fans just come off as those old women you see in movies that make up rumours about their neighbor because they overheard them say something out of context.

The fact is, we DON'T know he isn't a "leader of men" and we look downright idiotic when we push that narrative.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #92
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sorry Vlad, I just hate this perception we've created of him where we're not in the room or on the bench but as fans we think we know exactly what the shortcomings in his room presence are.

Comments about his hair, where he looks after a goal, etc... we as fans just come off as those old women you see in movies that make up rumours about their neighbor because they overheard them say something out of context.

The fact is, we DON'T know he isn't a "leader of men" and we look downright idiotic when we push that narrative.
While this is true, the Flames sure did come out flat in a number of important games this year, and seemed flat out unprepared a number of times.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #93
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

GG did more in his first season than the Oilers coach did in his first, give him another year with a true #1 goalie and fill out rest pieces as much as possible.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #94
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
GG did more in his first season than the Oilers coach did in his first, give him another year with a true #1 goalie and fill out rest pieces as much as possible.
I just want to hold you accountable because under twelve hours ago, you said this in the wishlist thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Fire the GM and all of the coaching staff and go from there.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #95
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been critical since the start of the season but have been quiet recently because they were winning but Gulutzan does not deserve to be back. His system sucked, his player utilization was poor and he isn't taking the team in the right direction. They can find someone better.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #96
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think you bring him back. The year started pretty bad but they managed to come back from that start which isn't very easy to do in this league at all. Sure, the team got swept in the playoffs but I felt they played well. Some back breaking goals killed the momentum and lost games that should have been won. Credit to him for having the guts to yank Elliott after the first one last night. Even though everyone knew it had to be done, a rookie playoff coach standing behind the bench could have easily tried to give the benefit of the doubt and not try to do too much.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #97
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Perception matters. I agree with Vlad in that I certainly didn't like him to start, although I've warmed up to him. For the first half of the season it seemed to me he projected no signs of actually caring. That could be seen as being cool-as-a-cucumber like Kiprusoff, but it can also be seen as being arrogant or out of touch.

It may not be the right thing to think of GG because of how he rubs some people the wrong way, and it may even seem immature, but its real and GG will have to work on his public persona if he wants to last past next season.

I'm all for bringing him back and I think he'll improve next season, not just in how he coaches but how he presents himself.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #98
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you toss out the first 20 games (8-11-1) as a learning experience (I use 20 as an arbitrary point so the data isn't cherry picked to be at the end of a losing streak like using 16 games when we were 5-10-1).

The remainder of the season was a 100 point pace. Now that did include a franchise record winning streak and if that stretch had a normal record of say 6-4 we would track to be an 89 point team but that also includes some stretches of poor play at the end of the season and before the All-Star break. So I think those balance out the winning streak. So GG coached the team to the playoffs and would likely given the same team do it again without the hickups to start the season.

At the start of the season I stated the rebuild was over and this team needs to make the playoffs for the season to be successful. They did. You don't fire the coach after you met your pre-season expectations.

Next year we improve a little more to Top 2 in the division and win a series.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #99
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll be back. He's designed and implemented a pretty good system that improved the team's puck possession and defensive play.

However, he has to learn and adapt. The history of the NHL is littered with great Xs and Os coaches who were never able to motivate their team or outwit the counterpart on the opposing bench during a playoff series. They don't last long - a couple years. If Gulutzan doesn't adapt and improve, he'll be gone next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
He will be back. IMO this series really showed what he's lacking though. Great systems guy, but not great at motivating or even managing a game. I know people are going to say motivation comes from the players but there's a role the coach needs to play there. The extra drive and will required for this series was never brought out of them.
This exactly. Preparing a team intellectually to play a game is one thing. Preparing them emotionally is another. If a team is mentally fragile, that's on the coach and the team leadership core.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #100
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I would like to see the Flames go in another direction.. I never felt like he had full control of this team in that he lacked the ability to captivate them.