Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #81
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
Wonder how long the pre-game ceremony will be for game one.
Probably 5-8 minute lights show, McDavid skate around, 11 year drought record tying banner unveiling, ex-oiler speches. Then a special 2-part Katz sit down interview where he looks particularly frazzled and dehydrated with a bottle of water in the second half?

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-09-2017 at 11:44 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #82
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers in 6
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #83
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the Orange Crush a Denver Broncos or Syracuse thing? Stupid no good unoriginal Oilers. Also, just seems like a scam to sell more of those ugly orange jerseys.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #84
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Isn't the Orange Crush a Denver Broncos or Syracuse thing? Stupid no good unoriginal Oilers. Also, just seems like a scam to sell more of those ugly orange jerseys.
The Flyers did it too.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #85
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should really be an exciting series to watch. I expect Edmonton to take it, but I think it will be close and very competitive. This should be a good one!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #86
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Didn't the Oilers run a silver pom-pom promotion in 2006? With a sparkler-festooned zamboni? All that was missing were disco mirror-balls and Bootsy Collins being lowered by rope to centre ice.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #87
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Really curious to see how the Sharks handle McDavid in this one.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #88
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Ugh. They are actually going with the Orange Crush? How super original.
Sure, but name the one colour that will match the one thing ALL Edmonton sweatpants have in common: the cheetos stain.

That's right. Orange, baby. There was never any doubt.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #89
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Since when is anything about the NHL original?

Every team gives out some variation of a player of the game article of clothing.

Every team pretty much follows the same superstitions and traditions.

Every team basically plays the same system.

Every player gives basically the same interview.

Its commonly referred to as a copycat league.

If lack of originality sticks in your craw you are probably following the wrong sport.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #90
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Sharks will not have their top two centers 100% and they really do look like a team taking on water. The Oilers got the best draw in the conference here. I know some Flames fans are having a difficult time accepting that the Oilers are a good hockey club but you don't get 103 points in a season based on fluke or lucky bounces. I'm simply picking the team I think is better in the series not the team I hope loses.
I can accept that logic. Just thought you sounded a little down lately is all.

McDavid played at a 1.22pt/g pace this year to carry the Oilers to the playoffs. Frankly he has to keep up a similar pace if they're going to be successful, since there are few other options on that team. That points pace would be 7th all time and it's doubtful he can do that. Any fall in his run rate and the Oilers are cooked.

For the record Crosby is at 1.105pt/g in the playoffs (12th all time).

Talbot is also has a 0.893sv% in his last 10 starts. That's another half goal a game against+ from his season average.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #91
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's my sincere wish that the Sharks do away with Edmonton in such a way as to exact maximum embarrassment from their team and fans, and to generate the highest possible level of Schadenfreude within Flames fans.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #92
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm confused--do the Oilers wear copper or orange? I'm not even sure they've decided.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #93
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
It's my sincere wish that the Sharks do away with Edmonton in such a way as to exact maximum embarrassment from their team and fans, and to generate the highest possible level of Schadenfreude within Flames fans.
I'd love a repeat of what they did to the Canucks in 2013.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #94
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, first of all, the talk of the Sharks missing players is overblown. Doing some quick digging, and it looks like all of the forwards out (Pavelski, Couture, Thornton) will all be ready for game 1.

Pavelski was only out for rest.
Couture was listed as day to day this weekend for a "mouth" injury. I doubt that'll keep him out of the lineup come Wednesday.
Thornton has a bit more of a concern with a slight knee injury, but he said "No doubt about Game 1."

Everyone else for the Sharks is 100%. Their top guys will be rested and ready.

The two teams matchup relatively well. Both teams have solid defense and goaltending, but the Sharks are a top 5 defensive club. Offensively the Oilers have an edge, simply due to McDavid and Draisaitl. Lucic is rounding into playoff form and should be a better player than he was all year for the Oilers. Both teams have identical penalty kills, but the Oilers have a MASSIVE advantage on the power play (22.9% to the Sharks 16.7%).

I think the experience thing is a little overblown, but there is a distinct advantage for the Sharks in this case. If you're as good as McDavid is (and he IS really good), you'll still be able to be productive in the playoffs. He won't be scoring at the same clip he did in the regular season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at 1 point-per-game at least. The bigger questions will revolve around players like RNH, Eberle, Klefbom, Larsson, Benning, Nurse, etc. Are they ready for the grind of the playoffs? Can they handle the pace? I'm not so sure, and some of those players could get exposed by the veteran Sharks.

That's what this series will come down to, and I think we won't know what to expect until game 1 or 2. Those games will take place on Oilers ice, and by the time they figure out what they need to do in the playoffs, they may have lost home ice advantage. Plus, McLellan doesn't have a great track record in the playoffs, but I don't put that 100% on him.

All of these factors considered, I think we might see the Oilers win this series in 7, but it could easily go the other way.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #95
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like it or not, the Oilers have the best offensive player in the game in McDavid. His speed, and ability to do things at speed, is something the Sharks have no answer for. The Oilers will go as far as McDavid can carry them, but I see him being good enough to get them to the conference finals, just by himself. If Talbot gets hot, there could be some very disappointed Flames fans around. The Oilers were gift wrapped the best player to come along since Jagr, but Chiarelli has done a pretty good job surrounding McJesus with enough beef and talent to make it work. Sad, but true.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
I can accept that logic. Just thought you sounded a little down lately is all.

McDavid played at a 1.22pt/g pace this year to carry the Oilers to the playoffs. Frankly he has to keep up a similar pace if they're going to be successful, since there are few other options on that team. That points pace would be 7th all time and it's doubtful he can do that. Any fall in his run rate and the Oilers are cooked.

For the record Crosby is at 1.105pt/g in the playoffs (12th all time).

Talbot is also has a 0.893sv% in his last 10 starts. That's another half goal a game against+ from his season average.
I have no doubt fatigue will be a factor for Talbot as he's played too many games already but I expect he should be good enough to win this series. Brent Burns kind of slowed down to end the season and that's a big reason the Sharks fell off. If he can find that gear again the Sharks could make things difficult. Oilers have been remarkably healthy this season as they haven't really lost any top players for any lengths of time. Maybe a key injury could sink them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #97
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Since when is anything about the NHL original?

Every team gives out some variation of a player of the game article of clothing.

Every team pretty much follows the same superstitions and traditions.

Every team basically plays the same system.

Every player gives basically the same interview.

Its commonly referred to as a copycat league.

If lack of originality sticks in your craw you are probably following the wrong sport.
Not every team is a lottery team for 10 years in a row.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #98
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Really curious to see how the Sharks handle McDavid in this one.
I'm more curious to see if the refs allow the opposition to check McD without constantly calling penalties.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #99
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Like it or not, the Oilers have the best offensive player in the game in McDavid. His speed, and ability to do things at speed, is something the Sharks have no answer for. The Oilers will go as far as McDavid can carry them, but I see him being good enough to get them to the conference finals, just by himself. If Talbot gets hot, there could be some very disappointed Flames fans around. The Oilers were gift wrapped the best player to come along since Jagr, but Chiarelli has done a pretty good job surrounding McJesus with enough beef and talent to make it work. Sad, but true.
McDavid is amazing offensively, and there are some good pieces around him. They might do what the Pens did with their first win, but I don't think they have the team character for it. The Pens had a number of veteran players bringing loads of playoff experience with them the first year they actually won it, and to see what it took out of Crosby as a leader in the playoffs last year, the demands obviously go well beyond amazing offensive talent.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #100
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Sharks in 6. And also i like the ALL CAPS, helps the threads stand out.
I think all the PST threads should be stickied, and as the series ends, you delete or unsticky them.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote