Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #221
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Can someone let me know how I can watch this?? Is subscribing to HBO the only option?
Kodi
Old 10-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #222
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I very much enjoy his insight and breakdown of each episode. If you're a fan of tge show then its definitely worth a watch while on the porcelain throne.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #223
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great episode.

Love exploring the new areas of westworld.

Think we can start putting down the MiB/mcpoyle theory.

Starting to wonder if dr. Ford is using the park to disrupt whatever the board wants to do
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:47 AM   #224
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nine Inch Nails was the modern music repurposed this week. It's been a couple episodes since I picked up on it but caught it this time.

Something I Can Never Have was played during the whorehouse orgy scene.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #225
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to rewatch the Ford Delores interview.

But I think he said have you gone off your narrative "again".

Interesting to see MIB and the ford Delores interview anchor them in time while intentionally leaving the Whitehat timeline ambiguous.

Also now that Lawrence appears in both MIB and Whitehats narrative you either have multiple robots with the same skin (which would make some sense in terms of park continuity) or different times.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #226
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Interesting to see MIB and the ford Delores interview anchor them in time while intentionally leaving the Whitehat timeline ambiguous.

Also now that Lawrence appears in both MIB and Whitehats narrative you either have multiple robots with the same skin (which would make some sense in terms of park continuity) or different times.
Whitehat's jerk buddy made reference this week to when the park opened and it was a partnership then the original guy died. I believe he referenced that it was years ago.

If whitehat is in the past, they can't be that far behind.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #227
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

He doesn't appear in Delores and Williams narrative until after he's killed by MIB. Teddy is redeployed daily, no reason Lawrence can't be either.

I'm curious if it was MIB that was smuggling data out of Westworld and that's how he found out about the maze and Arnolds bigger play.

I think it's pretty obvious that Williams role in this story will be the human element supporting the Hosts in the eventual uprising.

It's exciting that both Delores and Maeve (or however you spell it) seemed to have gained full consciousness, story should really start picking up now. How many episodes are there in this season?

Last edited by polak; 10-31-2016 at 09:47 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #228
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Think we can start putting down the MiB/mcpoyle theory.
Don't know what everyone on this forum seems to have against this theory. If anything, tonight's episode really supported the theory. We saw William kill multiple hosts and engage physically with Delores. Could be his descent into becoming the MIB.

Edit: We also found out that Logan's family company, the one William works for and is marrying into, is considering buying the park. This would explain the MIB's special privileges in the park.

This could all be a red herring, but there was nothing in the episode to indicate the theory should be "put down".

Last edited by blankall; 10-31-2016 at 10:31 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #229
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Don't know what everyone on this forum seems to have against this theory. If anything, tonight's episode really supported the theory. We saw William kill multiple hosts and engage physically with Delores. Could be his descent into becoming the MIB.

Edit: We also found out that Logan's family company, the one William works for and is marrying into, is considering buying the park. This would explain the MIB's special privileges in the park.

This could all be a red herring, but there was nothing in the episode to indicate the theory should be "put down".
The reason everyone is against it is that it wouldn't add anything to the story. It would also ignore at least ~30 years of development of the hosts and park as the park appears to be exactly the same in both proposed time lines. It'd mean they've been doing the same narrative for all of that time too as Delores ran into MIB and William while doing the exact same loop.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #230
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The reason everyone is against it is that it wouldn't add anything to the story. It would also ignore at least ~30 years of development of the hosts and park as the park appears to be exactly the same in both proposed time lines. It'd mean they've been doing the same narrative for all of that time too as Delores ran into MIB and William while doing the exact same loop.
The narratives are so complex, and rely on the interaction between each robot, that it may take decades to fully turn over a narrative.

It could also be the MIB keeping the main narrative the same, so that he can figure out the hidden mystery. Or perhaps Arnold was the main mastermind behind the narrative and without him it cannot be easily overhauled.

We also already know there are differences in the park. The bullet technology seems totally different. In William's story it physically bruises. In the MIB's he is shot many times without flinching.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #231
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was under the impression that the hosts couldn't hurt the guest but both William and Logan were punched in the face more then a few times in this most recent episode. Was it because they were further away from the more "safer" beginner city?

I also get that Dr.Robert Ford created the world but how is he able to seemingly telepathically (the snake, waiter pouring the wine, Teddy grabbing the knife) tell the hosts what to do?
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #232
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

I have referenced a few times that the timeline theory was pointless based on what we've seen so far but if William helps the hosts rebel and is then betrayed by Delores it could explain the MIBs attitude and villainous nature in the future.

EDIT: Just to add, I think there is definitely a connection, which is obvious beyond just Delores. I just don't know that it is the timeline thing. There are a number of wrinkles as to why it may not fit and like I said, right now it wouldn't add much beyond shock value.

There are a ton of sources out there running with the theory but here's a quick one that gives for and against. Minor spoiler for next week's episode based on the preview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0390e69d040a5

That still isn't a very good twist without more context and a better understanding of how it fits into the bigger story but it is a start. It isn't as totally pointless as it would have been when it was first suggested.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-31-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #233
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I was under the impression that the hosts couldn't hurt the guest but both William and Logan were punched in the face more then a few times in this most recent episode. Was it because they were further away from the more "safer" beginner city?

I also get that Dr.Robert Ford created the world but how is he able to seemingly telepathically (the snake, waiter pouring the wine, Teddy grabbing the knife) tell the hosts what to do?
I was also a bit confused by that. I mean, when William gets shot it looks like it feels a bit like getting hit with a paintball. However, to have a host full-on deck you and almost choke you out is kind of a large jump.

As for Teddy, I would imagine Ford programmed in a "fourth directive" if you will, and that no matter what happens he (Ford) is always in control and protected. We've seen that they can program in shut-down phrases and gestures, so I would think that Ford has a few of his own.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #234
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post

I had two explanations for the robot violence:

1) They were, as you say, further away from the beginner version of the game and had entered a more adult version, hence the orgy. Keep in mind that children are also allowed into the park. I doubt that many parents would be taking their children to Pariah, and it would make sense for the park to have adult and child safe zones; or

2) This is the beginning of the hosts' rebellion.

I have to agree with the other posters that Teddy grabbing the knife seemed instinctual. It could be to protect Dr Ford specifically, or it could be to protect all humans. A guest on a knife rampage could easily accidentally attack another guest. Maybe the hosts are programmed to prevent that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #235
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah I think that's bang on, the further out in the park the more danger, albeit never life threatening.

I'm so utterly hooked on this show, there are so many potential ways these plot lines can go, so many intriguing characters, fantastic television.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #236
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

They seemed to be implying that it is life threatening out there. That blackhat fella looked like he was going to get choked out before William saved him.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #237
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the earlier episode when William gets shot while defending Clementine, he says to Logan that he didn't think they could get hurt. Logan's reply is something like "only the right amount".

For the park to be immersive, there has to be a feeling of danger, even if there isn't any actual danger.

Also, in the earlier episode, when they first arrive, the host asks William a bunch of questions and says it's to make sure they don't give him anything he can't handle. Logan seems like the type of guy who would put his "danger" settings at the maximum. A different guest doing that same robbery narrative might not have been choked by the host.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #238
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the most interesting development was the fact that the stray host who "killed" itself had been modified with the laser uplink to send data out of the park. Who could have modified the host to such a degree without Ford knowing? What kind of information was being sent out, and to who? I'm really interested in where this thread may go.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #239
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I thought the most interesting development was the fact that the stray host who "killed" itself had been modified with the laser uplink to send data out of the park. Who could have modified the host to such a degree without Ford knowing? What kind of information was being sent out, and to who? I'm really interested in where this thread may go.
I assumed it was the MIB who'd put the device there. He has both a knowledge of the Hosts' anatomy and a penchant for slicing them up. He is also clearly some ultra rich/powerful guy outside of the game so would have access to all sorts of technology. He's also constantly trying to learn new things about the game. Seems like a likely candidate.

It could also have been someone (even the MIB) bribing one of the technicians. The technicians don't seem like the most moral and focused group.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #240
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just got caught up in the series, this is easily the best new TV show of the last 5 years. Seems like it's part Lost, part Blade Runner, and part Jurassic Park. Though I disagree entirely with the whole timeline theories, we didn't see Lawrence with Delores and crew until after MiB killed him, and MiB specifically said that someone would be by soon to collect him. We know the hosts get turned around quite quickly, so Theodore is just back at the beginning of his loop
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote