Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #201
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't think Bishop will sign a 3-year deal, and this leaves me very hesitant to want to sign him.
The next lockout is in a couple of years, right? Gotta think a few more buyouts will be on the horizon for each team. Longer term may not be a killer.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #202
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This would surprise me. Treliving was in on Murray, Talbot, and Jones—I think his first choice is to find a young starting goalie.

This is true, I think Brad went after Elliott, when he could not get one of young goalies he wanted.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #203
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not want Grubauer. He was never that good in junior. Its possible he's massively improved, but think its just a guy playing on a really good team rather than him being any good.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #204
Nabber
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really hope the Flames take advantage of a team that has an extra younger goalie that can't be protected in the expansion draft. After that hard to say who to pursue as there are a lot of options. Personally I'd move on from Elliott after the playoff performance and I like Bingo's suggestion of possibly Halak who was playing on IMO a very bad defensive team in the Isles. Would probably come cheap maybe bring in on a PTO and roll the dice with him, Gillies, and the expansion pick up.

Probably not a good idea to roll the dice with how that's been going, so I'm on board with Bishop on a shorter term contract.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #205
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say for example that the VGK take the following goalies in the expansion draft:

1. MAF (Waives NMC)
2. Grubauer
3. Pickard

That's probably not all the goalies they get either. They will surely be looking to flip one of Grubauer or Pickard, and it's very possible they'd be looking to get a goalie that doesn't require waivers so they can send him down to the AHL without risking losing him.

Maybe you can trade them Rittich and the 3rd round pick we were supposed to give St. Louis for re-signing Elliot?

I certainly can see that scenario playing out.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #206
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Hockey News weighs in:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...nish-to-season
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #207
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
In the post-season, Elliott was fine — not great, not outright terrible — in the four-game sweep.

lost all credibility...did they watch game 3/4?

he was far from FINE
Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #208
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Elliot was the worst goalie in the playoffs by a good margin. Not fine.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #209
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Rinne might be an option.

Granted, he is 34 and coming off an average season, but he only has 2 seasons left at $7 million per season. Might be better than signing someone like Bishop for 5 or 6 years for the same salary.

There would also be an acquisition cost, but I think it would be relatively low considering he played below expectations last year and Saros is looking like a keeper.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #210
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
In the post-season, Elliott was fine — not great, not outright terrible — in the four-game sweep.

lost all credibility...did they watch game 3/4?

he was far from FINE
Yes, I agree with you. The series loss is on him.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #211
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep bringing up goalies with "2 years term left" and saying stuff like "that's perfect timing".

Perfect timing for what?

Rhetorical, because I know the answer is that's when Gillies or Parsons should be ready.

Man, you'd think people would learn after watching the Flames fail to develop a home grown goalie since when? Vernon?

Bishop is the best of the vets available and doesn't cost you anything to trade for anymore. He has no more question marks surrounding him than Schneider, MAF, Rinne, Smith or any of those guys, but they'd all cost assets to acquire.

If you can get Bishop to sign a 5 year deal around $6 million then that's the guy. IF Gillies or Parsons or Rittich or any other young goalie in our system develop enough in two years time to legit take his job it's a GOOD problem to have.

I was apprehensive to get Bishop when it looked like it would cost us valuable assets to get him, plus the rumored 7 x 7 he wanted. His demands should have dropped, and he's UFA now. Big difference. A 5 year deal would have him signed from 31-35 year old seasons which would then put him in the same age group as guys like Lundqvist, Rinne and Craig Anderson and how old those guys are NOW. He's not too old for an elite goalie.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #212
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

But if we sign Bishop then what do we do when Ortio or Irving are ready to be starters?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #213
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
"Sea of Red"

Ugh.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #214
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not as certain Elliott gets resigned. Jekyll Hyde.
First half of season stunk it up 2nd Half great. Playoffs stunk it up 2 out 4 games.

Funny a certain HC trended very similarly.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #215
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darling.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #216
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes dear?

Bishop is the guy I'd want them to get, then Grauber or whatever and then Darling​.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 AM   #217
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
2013/14 - 63 starts, 37 wins, 2.23 GAA, 0.924 %
2014/15 - 62 starts, 40 wins, 2.32 GAA, 0.916 %
2015/16 - 61 starts, 35 wins, 2.06 GAA, 0.926 %

Also:

23 playoff starts, 21-13 record, 2.09 GAA, 0.927 %
Those are amazing numbers. I think I am now on board for a Bishop signing. Also... taking a look at his AHL progression, it's a good reminder for patience with Gillies

2008-09: 33 starts, 15 wins, 2.81 GAA, .897%
2009-10: 48 starts, 23 wins, 2.77 GAA, .901%
2010-11: 35 starts, 17 wins, 2.55 GAA, .914%
2011-12: 38 starts, 24 wins, 2.26 GAA, .928%
2012-13: 13 starts, 8 wins, 2.59 GAA, .928%

Last edited by Savvy27; 04-21-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #218
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
Why is everyone on the Cory schenieder bandwagon?
Probably because his career numbers (over 300 games by now) are in the Lundqvist/Rask/Talbot/Price/Holtby category?

Is there a reason to think the Devils are interested in trading him though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I just dont think Fleury will come here. It's unlikely he will accept a trade anywhere, why would he.

He can force the Pens to buy him out, take the buy out $ and become a UFA and go anywhere. I see him heading to Dallas in that scenario.
UFA or not, why wouldn't the Flames be an attractive destination for MAF or any other goalie for that matter? We're a young team that's made the playoffs twice in three years, our shots against was top 10 last season (5-on-5 shots against was in the top 5) and any goalie that could hold the net for a season would literally be the best goalie we've had since Kipper.

Personal opinion on what Treliving should do:

Don't give up a lot of assets. Goalies are never sure things, at least not ones that are available in a trade.

If you can get a young guy that's ready to challenge for a starting position (like Darling or Grubauer) without giving up a ton, you get them pretty much regardless of other considerations. If we get an extra shot of getting a young top level starter, we take it. If we end up with more than we need, that's a good problem to have, and in our situation it's absolutely worth the risk of losing some assets.

Beyond that, there's a lot of guys that I like. I agree that the lenght of MAF:s contract is excellent for us at this point, and his playoff numbers have actually been going up with experience, which goes with my impression that he's gotten past his playoff jitters. I wouldn't mind Bishop at all, and I think he might be available for a decent contract. I wouldn't pay too much for him, but I'd be okay with giving him some years. You can usually trade a goalie if you end up with a guy you don't need, as long as the cap hit isn't too much.

I wouldn't mind having Johnson back for another short and cheap contract, but I see him as a 3rd option after Gillies and pretty much any other guys we might be signing. Someone who'd come cheap enough that it's not a big issue if Gillies takes his spot, but good enough to be the backup.

I don't see why we'd bring back Elliott back over Johnson. They had pretty similar numbers over the season, both are streaky but Johnson is a bit younger, probably a bit cheaper and comes with less baggage.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #219
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
If we are going after a young guy than Grubauer, Pickard, Korpisalo would be the top choices, if you want a veteran than just #### off and sign Bishop. Also we eyed a new goalie coach.
I we include Saros in this grouping...which one is considered to have the highest upside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
People keep bringing up goalies with "2 years term left" and saying stuff like "that's perfect timing".

Perfect timing for what?

Rhetorical, because I know the answer is that's when Gillies or Parsons should be ready.

Man, you'd think people would learn after watching the Flames fail to develop a home grown goalie since when? Vernon?

Bishop is the best of the vets available and doesn't cost you anything to trade for anymore. He has no more question marks surrounding him than Schneider, MAF, Rinne, Smith or any of those guys, but they'd all cost assets to acquire.

If you can get Bishop to sign a 5 year deal around $6 million then that's the guy. IF Gillies or Parsons or Rittich or any other young goalie in our system develop enough in two years time to legit take his job it's a GOOD problem to have.

I was apprehensive to get Bishop when it looked like it would cost us valuable assets to get him, plus the rumored 7 x 7 he wanted. His demands should have dropped, and he's UFA now. Big difference. A 5 year deal would have him signed from 31-35 year old seasons which would then put him in the same age group as guys like Lundqvist, Rinne and Craig Anderson and how old those guys are NOW. He's not too old for an elite goalie.
Two seasons carries far less risk than five (we are only assuming he will even take five years as he may still push for 6 or 7). We couldn't predict the success of Elliott in one season so what happens if you sign Bishop for five years and get this season's Bishop for five years? The Gio contract is already going to handcuff the team in a few years and the last thing this team needs is another albatross. The best thing about the Hiller signing was that it was only two years and the Elliott trade was for a guy on the last year of his deal. Fleury is proving ha still has some game left and at least if he doesn't work out the team can move on in a couple of years. If Bishop isn't that good or keeps getting injured take a look at the Stars situation for what it might be like for the Flames. I'm not against signing him but there's a big risk in going this route.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: